StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I'd throw this one out. With all the rumors about Suzuki dropping the DL1000, at a time when Ducati is uping displacement to 1100, and BMW has gone up to 1200, shouldn't Suzuki build a bigger V-Strom?

Despite all the advise I see thrown arround on the net to potential buyers, telling them to get the DL650 over the DL1000, I disagree. For serious touring duties (What I think the V-Strom does well) the DL1000 is just adquate. I would love to see a 1200cc motor tuned with a tad more low end torque. This would once again put it ahead of its competition (BMW GS, Ducati Multistrada, Buell Uliseys)

Am I the only one who would like to see the Big Strom even bigger? Are we going to have to accept the Wee as the only Strom? I hope not.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
If they made the VEE biger and the WEE bigger this would be cool:cool: Then the VEE would handle the touring duties and the WEE all the Dual Sport rough service stuff. A 1200 and a 800. NICE;)

Reactions: RLBranson

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
Not me.......keep the Wee the way it is, and come out with an 800 cc Strom, that pumps out about 110 hp, and has a belt drive like the Buell. Suzuki needs to come out with a bike that can compete with the FJR, ST1300, Z14 Concours and BMW's. They are REALLY screwing the pooch by not getting into this category IMHO.

I disagree that the 1000 is just adequate, cause It can cruise with the best of "any bikes" on the superslab, and not even break a sweat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd like to see an 1800 220 hp version, but a 1300 spport touring would be cool or a 1800 600 pound gold wing beater would be cool.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I disagree that the 1000 is just adequate, cause It can cruise with the best of "any bikes" on the superslab, and not even break a sweat.
I used to have an FZ1, and sometimes I wish I could put the FZ1 motor in the V-Strom. Passing was never an issue, even with oncomming traffic.

I would love it if Suzuki could make a torqueyer lower reving bike, without giving it vibrations like the BMW boxer, Or the Uliseys twin.

·
Registered
37 Posts
While waiting for more horses

While waiting for that new design, try adding a couple of teeth to your rear sprocket. Other posts on this site say performance is improved, even through 6th gear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I went looking for a change and purchased the V I had the following criteria. Granted I came from a 750cc Crotch Rocket.

1. 1000+cc
2. I like a lot of acceleration
3. More of a sit up style, good ergo's
4. Better wind protection
5. Shaft drive preferred

The V had all of it but the shaft drive. The BMW GS 1200 had it all, but cost way too much, and I thought the front end was uglier than the V. I tested the 650, and was not happy with the lack of power. That being said a 800cc might not cut it with me either.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I would like a DL800 ABS. A little more power and taller top gear for highway cruising, better front suspension and that's about it.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I would like a DL800 ABS. A little more power and taller top gear for highway cruising, better front suspension and that's about it.
Rubberdown nails it! I could live with a little less power if the Wee had a little more, and revved less on the slab. Price it somewhere in between, balance it out with another pipe, and hide that corny, flimsy looking front exhaust under pipe and this could be a viable option for me. To me, the Vee is as powerful a bike as I'll ever want. The 1100 or 1200 cc would be cool and an awesome option for some, but a little over the top for me and my riding style. But I could be convinced to dust off the wallet for the 800 / 850, or as I would refer to it as, Vee Lite. :D

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I only ride a WEE but here are my thoughts
SUZUKI has the 650 for sale at about $10,000 in AUSTRALIA and the 1000 at $13,500. A premium 0f 35% for the extra capacity is a rip off !!In reality it should be about $1000 ,price is why the 650 sells so well.
These are things that they should fix first before capacity increase
Slightly wider spacing between gears ,ie lower 1st ,higher 6 gear.
Adjustable dampoer on front forks with a brace
Better screen and faster,better adjustment
Adjustable handle bars
Improved seat ( including pillion section)
Move oil cooler higher
Centre Stand !
Longer front fender
More work on reducing the vibration.

Some of these can be solved by accesiores that are already out there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I really woudn't change too much. If I was Suzuki, I would raise the price enough to include a centerstand which is an absolute must IMO. To me, bigger engine means more gas. The V doesn't really get all that great gas mileage.

·
Registered
119 Posts
RubberDown has the right idea. DL800 ABS would be fantastic. I will be using my 06 Wee as a lightweight sport tourer. I have installed a 16 tooth front sprocket and I just love the difference it has made on the highway... and it hasn't hurt the bottom end IMHO. I have an ST1300 for two up touring but wouldn't hesitate a cross county two up on the Wee.

Clyde

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I think a 750 Wee would do just fine. Drop about 20-30 lbs and/or 10 extra HP.

In all reality, the 1k with a drop of about 40 lbs and more bottom end (of course better wind management goes without saying) would be about perfect. But, in marketing terms a 1200 might be necessary to keep up with the Joneses, even though not necessary in performance terms.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe I'm just a big guy, but I don't find the extra weight of the DL1000 to be an issue when I'm riding it. After all compaired to the BMW GS, the V-Strom isn't heavy at all. I agree that a center stand should come factory on either strom, And I would love a slightly bigger fuel tank, say about 21L of useable tank, rather than the low fuel light flashing at 17L.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sport touring Hayabusa?

Just my 2 cents, With the advent of the new Kawasaki Concourse which is sure to be a big hit, and the near impossibility of actually seeing an Yamaha FJR on a showroom floor and selling of every one produced, Honda has the good selling ST1300, and last but not least, BMW has many models that are touring capable! With this said Suzuki does not have any thing like the above companies! I think you will see a Sport tourer with the Hayabusa engine, and the V-Strom bumped to 800cc, after all how many people who buy Stroms Question which to choose! The sport touring bikes are selling very well indeed, people want to go touring with more capable bikes in power and handling than there present Harleys or other 700lb cursers, but comfort must also be there, this I know first hand from driving my Roadstar 1700cc in the tight twistys, what a workout! Anyhow time will tell but I think my crystal ball is clear on this one!!

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
I really woudn't change too much. If I was Suzuki, I would raise the price enough to include a centerstand which is an absolute must IMO. To me, bigger engine means more gas. The V doesn't really get all that great gas mileage.

Really???? I get as high as 51 mpg, isn't that good?;) You want big engine.....my buddy had a Goldwing that got as high as 44 mpg. That is about as big as it gets.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If Suzuki produced a DL800, folks would want a DL900, and if they made that, people would want a DL950, and if they made that, they'd want a DL975. 350cc's between the DL650 and DL1000 isn't enough room to shoehorn another model into.

Based on the direction bikes like the GS/HP2, Multistrada, Ulysses, and Tiger are taking, it appears the market for big, upright, sporty twins wants 1100-1200cc and 17-inch wheels with sticky sportbike rubber. The rugged off-road look is important, but actually off-road capability is not. So I would expect the DL1000 to follow the trend in the next year or so - a DL1150 with a 17-inch front end.

The DL650 will probably stay the same as it is at a sweet spot where it manages to bite off a little of the adventure touring market, a little of the commuter market, a little of the beginner's bike market, and a little of the sportbike market for people who don't fit sportbikes anymore. That's not a bad place to be and the bike is selling pretty well.

Personally, I'd love to see Suzuki do a DL650 Adventure with a wire-spoke wheels, a high front fender, a taller suspension with 2 extra inches of travel front and rear, an extra 2 gallons of fuel, TKC80 knobby tires, and factory bash plates and crash protection. Basically follow the GS Adv path, but with the lighter-weight 650. For $8K, this would knock the pins out from underneath the GS Adv. But I don't think they'll do it.

- Mark

·
Registered
41 Posts
Weight is an interesting topic. I went out in the snow Saturday to play. The bike did well overall, untill I went off the trail. I thought the ground was frozen but I was wrong and the bike sank about 4 inches in the soft soil. Naturally the bike got stuck. (Wife took pics and laughed) This is an area where the 650 would have been slightly better, but they both weigh a lot for off road. BUT you want some weight to the bike to have a more comfortable ride on the road. This bike handles the side winds much better than my Katana ever did. My Katana would move sideways with the bottom first. Talk about a little excitement. That also might be a factor of the full fairing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
While waiting for that new design, try adding a couple of teeth to your rear sprocket. Other posts on this site say performance is improved, even through 6th gear.
I heard dropping a tooth on the front is easier/cheaper, since you don't need to get a new chain. What's the diff?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts