StromTrooper banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right guys I don't want to start and "Oil War" like Bush .... but My DL650K7 is the first new thing I have bought in this millennium! So now I have an excuse to finally commit to Synthetic motor oil. I have heard the rumors of a wet clutch "slipping" when used in (older?) bikes and so I have always stayed away ... I have also heard that once you commit to synthetic dont go back to mineral ... anybody heard the same? I have read The Engine Oil Bible (which anybody that owns anything that uses motor oil should read ... http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html) BUT ....

HOW MANY YA'LL USE SYNTHETIC? Thanks in advance ... the Squeegee

·
Registered
216 Posts
Do synthetic.

Shell Synthetic Rotella from walmart $16-18.OO for 4 quarts.

Hi Flo 138 Oil Filter $5-6.00.

Bonne Chance

·
Registered
263 Posts
Molibe Racing 4T.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you guys are using Shell Synthetic Rotella, which is just a muti-use oil, not made for motorcycle or 4 stroke engines?

·
38,103 Posts
It's formulated for four stroke diesels. Check the link.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I know first hand cause I used to be a Diesel Fitter.

I worked in a panty factory.... I'd hold em up and yell "Diesel Fitter"

Seriously, ......a 4 stroke motor oil that is made for million mile motors, would infer that all sae certifications are complied with.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
ROTELLA Products
ROTELLA® T Synthetic
Fully synthetic heavy-duty engine oil.

Product Description

Shell Rotella® T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 is a fully synthetic heavy-duty diesel and gasoline engine oil developed especially to meet the requirements of North American driving.

The exclusive Shell formulation offers users exceptional performance and protection in combination with enhanced fuel economy potential over conventional 15W-40 motor oils. This synthetic multigrade engine oil meets the service requirements of virtually all four cycle diesel and many gasoline engine manufacturers.

Applications
  • Recommended for new and older diesel- and gasoline-powered vehicles, including personal vehicles and commercial vehicles such as on-road, off-the-road, truck rental, pickups, delivery, utility, and school bus fleets
  • Meets or exceeds the diesel engine requirements of API CI-4 PLUS, Cummins CES 20078, Detroit Diesel, John Deere, Dodge, Ford, GM, International, Mack EO-N Premium Plus 03, Volvo and others; For gasoline engines, it exceeds API SL.
Features/Benefits
  • Formulated for multipurpose use, simplifying inventory needs
  • Outstanding wear protection and bearing corrosion control helps maximize engine life
  • Helps speed cold starts even with low winter temperatures
  • Enhanced oxidation stability and soot control, especially at higher temperatures, aids service life
  • Improved fuel economy – when compared to conventional SAE 15W-40 oils
  • Product is warranted against defect and has performance which meets or exceeds virtually all equipment manufacturer’s engine oil warranty requirements.
Approvals and Recommendations
  • API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF
  • API SL, SJ, SH
  • Cummins CES 20078, 20076, 20071
  • Detroit Diesel 7SE 270
  • Mack EO-N Premium Plus ’03, EO-N, EO-M Plus
  • Volvo VDS 2
'nuff said

·
Registered
171 Posts
+1 on the Rotella

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok how about this one ... should I change my "special break in oil" and FILTER now (160 miles) and put it the shell syn or just wait for the 600 mile check and use after engine is completely broken in then switch to syn?

·
Registered
647 Posts
ROTELLA Products
ROTELLA® T Synthetic
Fully synthetic heavy-duty engine oil.

Product Description

Shell Rotella® T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 is a fully synthetic heavy-duty diesel and gasoline engine oil developed especially to meet the requirements of North American driving.

The exclusive Shell formulation offers users exceptional performance and protection in combination with enhanced fuel economy potential over conventional 15W-40 motor oils. This synthetic multigrade engine oil meets the service requirements of virtually all four cycle diesel and many gasoline engine manufacturers.

Applications
  • Recommended for new and older diesel- and gasoline-powered vehicles, including personal vehicles and commercial vehicles such as on-road, off-the-road, truck rental, pickups, delivery, utility, and school bus fleets
  • Meets or exceeds the diesel engine requirements of API CI-4 PLUS, Cummins CES 20078, Detroit Diesel, John Deere, Dodge, Ford, GM, International, Mack EO-N Premium Plus 03, Volvo and others; For gasoline engines, it exceeds API SL.
Features/Benefits
  • Formulated for multipurpose use, simplifying inventory needs
  • Outstanding wear protection and bearing corrosion control helps maximize engine life
  • Helps speed cold starts even with low winter temperatures
  • Enhanced oxidation stability and soot control, especially at higher temperatures, aids service life
  • Improved fuel economy – when compared to conventional SAE 15W-40 oils
  • Product is warranted against defect and has performance which meets or exceeds virtually all equipment manufacturer’s engine oil warranty requirements.
Approvals and Recommendations
  • API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF
  • API SL, SJ, SH
  • Cummins CES 20078, 20076, 20071
  • Detroit Diesel 7SE 270
  • Mack EO-N Premium Plus ’03, EO-N, EO-M Plus
  • Volvo VDS 2
'nuff said
Nice! But I don't have a diesel engine in my Vstrom.
The one certfication missing on Rotella is circled on the label below.
Willie

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
Ok how about this one ... should I change my "special break in oil" and FILTER now (160 miles) and put it the shell syn or just wait for the 600 mile check and use after engine is completely broken in then switch to syn?
Wait until you are at around 3500-4000 miles.
Willie

·
Registered
764 Posts
Mobil 1 Racing 4T (formerly "MXT4"). I use Mobil 1 in the truck and the jeep, so what the hell, why not the bike...

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Nice! But I don't have a diesel engine in my Vstrom.
The one certfication missing on Rotella is circled on the label below.
Willie
Correct! But Rotella is designed for gasoline engine use also. Plainly said in the Rotella product description and applications. And for the rating on the Scamsoil label, it is not a requirement of Suzuki that the oil carry that rating.

From the manual,

"Use a premium quality 4-stroke motor oil to ensure longer service
life of your motorcycle. Use only oils which are rated SF or
SG under the API service classification. The recommended viscosity
is SAE 10W-40. If an SAE 10W-40 motor oil is not available,
select an alternative according to the following chart."

So the only thng your overpriced oil has going for it is the exact recomended weight.

Signed,
This is like pissing up a flag pole!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Mobil 1 MXT synthetic for 4 stroke cycles.

·
38,103 Posts
Since a search on Rotella will find every other oil thread, can we close this one?

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
One More

One can sometimes get lost in a discussion involving oil characteristics such as Flash Point, Pour Point, Viscosity Index, and Foaming-a condition which can occur with regular or even high-rated API(American Petroleum Institute) automotive oils not designed to lubricate the engine, clutch, and gearbox of high-revving Japanese motorcycle engines which produce unusually high shearing forces.

As far as the manual is concerned, my ’06 DL650 manual also say it’s O.K to run API(American Petroleum Institute) SF/SG or SH/SJ 10w40 rated motor oils, but I have seen regular petroleum automotive oils sitting on the shelves of Wal-Mart achieve this rating, or even higher API ratings that weren’t even synthetic. Check for yourself. Start studying the backs of some of these shelf oils at Wal-mart the next time you’re there. See how many oils sold at Wal-Mart have achieved the JASO(Japanese Automotive Society) MA(Motorcycle Approved) rating. I couldn’t find one. Why wouldn’t any Oil company not want to achieve this rating, if it could, in order to compete for the Japanese motorcycle oil market ?

I believe the more stringent standard of these two is the JASO MA rating.
In a desire to answer a market need for less expensive, yet quality 10w-40 motorcycle oil, Valvoline has produced an oil which has managed to achieve the JASO MA approved rating. It is simply called Valvoline 4-stroke Motorcycle oil, available in 10w40 & 20w50 and costs about $3.39/qt. Don’t confuse it with regular Valvoline 10w40 motor oil. It has a picture of a motorcycle on the label and is sold at AutoZone, Meijer and Murray's,Blains, Checker, Schuck's and Kragen.

For my oil filter, I use a Fram PH6018 oil filter sold at Wal-mart.
The maintenance schedule for my DL650 says to do the first oil change at 600mi. I did mine at 500mi. After that, it says the oil should be changed at 3,500mi intervals. I choose to do it at 3,000 mi. intervals just at an extra measure of insurance that I am not even nearing the end of the oil’s intended life. Of course, I always change the filter, too.

Engine oil for motorcycles is obviously a subject of considerable debate. Given the research I have done, this is what I feel comfortable with.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.