StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Take our stroms off-road? Just completed Bill Dragoo's adventure motorcycling school this week and it was a blast! It was setup like an MSF class but focused on controlling big bikes off-road and how to handle crappy situations. Day one was about control, including hay bale maze exercises and log crossings (plus side I get a new skid plate since Givi skid plates don't do too well here). Day 2 was primarily sand, did some over terrain towing and then we combined all the skills on a 4x4 course with tight turns on hills and lots of off camber dirt. It was a blast!! Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures and wasn't in a whole lot of them either, but here are the ones I was.

Burying the bike to practice deep sand extractions.

What happens after the extraction lol

I'm in the very back

The final course

If you are interested he is offering classes all over, more info at Bill Dragoo ? Adventure Tales and all photos are courtesy of his wife Susan Dragoo. No I'm not paid, just impressed.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,091 Posts
Golly, gee wizz, looky them boys playing BMW GS standing on the pegs.
I found after a few hours in a recent training course my thighs were burning from lack of having done that in years. Best way to stay in control is standing up.

THE guys at RawHyde are big on removing the luggage and the windshield and the turn indicator stalk 'cus they fall over a lot and break things.
Did they emphasize putting both feet on one side of the bike in certain situations? I had trouble with that cus, these old bones don't move easily. I could get the odd foot on the seat but not all the way over.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing about both feet on the same side, however I should have pulled the mirrors since I knocked them silly and bent my bars....don't grab full front brake when practicing stops on dirt at 25, it hurts you AND the bike lol. Got really good at standing, liked seeing 0 on the speedometer while still moving forward while standing.

·
Registered
15,091 Posts
".don't grab full front brake when practicing stops on dirt"

One of the practices RawHyde has us do was rear brake skids in the mud. Don't touch the fronts!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
".don't grab full front brake when practicing stops on dirt"

One of the practices RawHyde has us do was rear brake skids in the mud. Don't touch the fronts!

Yeah it was mostly rear brake but they were demonstrating that fronts do still work if needed in dirt....and they do. Stopped in half the distance.

·
Registered
15,091 Posts
"Stopped in half the distance."

Yep, Brakes used properly will do wonders at stopping a bike.
Is that deep or what?
Dirt can be scary stuff, especially the steep things.
Even with 4WD, there are places ! don't want to see again.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Those sand shots are making me cringe! I was out last week with the stock tires on some fire roads, everything was fine until I hit some short sand sections. That's when the weight of the bike really hits you.
Guess I need a lot more practice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't get me wrong I dropped it about 5-6 times in the sand but it wasn't that bad. Big thing I learned is get the rpms up then drop the clutch, don't feather it like normal because you'll burn it out. Then let the bike move under you but don't let off the throttle and slow down because you'll drop it again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The course I took was all grass, rocks and dirt, no sand. I had the stock Battle Wing tires (half used up) on my DL-1000. I always thought I was in pretty good condition, but after about two minutes of "assuming the position" my quads just checked out and left the building. I can stand up, but that "attack" crouch, nuh-uh. The bike was a champ, though. After about four hours of my struggling it kind of said to me "relax, lady, I got this." I found that all I had to do was keep the RRMs up a bit and trust the bike. Even with the stock tires it just motored up hills, down hills, across little streams, down rutted gravel roads, through huge, deep, muddy puddles, didn't matter. I was actually the only one who didn't dump their bike that day. Wish I had been strong enough for the second day.

Reactions: vanislejay

·
Registered
404 Posts
Nobody says You can't take a Strom offroad. I have seen clips of the same being done with Goldwings. Point is that offroading is a lot more fun on a much lighter motorcycle.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Fun and off-roading are relative terms. I expect to get the WABDR sections 4-5 completed on my Strom and that will be super fun. What’s not fun Is packing up my riding gear, loading the bike in a truck or trailer, driving an hour or more, unloading, getting dressed hoping a glove or other item wasn’t forgotten, then riding several hours, repeating to get back home. Compared to dressing, riding, undressing after several hours on asphalt and dirt. That’s more fun to me. Now if I was into hard core, high speed single track, I would not own a vstrom as it is the wrong tool. My strom is more like a crescent wrench or vice grips. It does a lot of things if needed, but not the best tool for every job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
yet another person confirming Givi skidplates are pure crap.
There should be a Sticky post on this forum warning of the false sense of security these tinfoil thick "skidplates" give and to avoid them

·
Registered
820 Posts
yet another person confirming Givi skidplates are pure crap.
There should be a Sticky post on this forum warning of the false sense of security these tinfoil thick "skidplates" give and to avoid them
I mean, you can take one look at them and know a coke can would offer more protection lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts