StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been to a town out west of the coast called Nobby and what would be the best way from the Gold Coast.Just thought would throw it out they has it appears quite a few of you fellow riders have covered a fair amount this fine country of ours.:confused:::fineprint:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Nobby

I have been to Nobby many times. Famous for its association with Sister Kenny(polio fame).
There is no official record of formal training or registration as a nurse. She probably learned by voluntary assistance at a small maternity hospital at Guyra, New South Wales. About 1910 Kenny was a self-appointed nurse, working from the family home at Nobby on the Darling Downs, riding on horseback to give her services, without pay, to any who called her.
Has a pub,very important, and a school.
How to get there from the Gold Coast? Go towards Warwick, probably via Canungra - Boonah that way you get some corners, about 12 kms from Warwick you come to the dreaded 8 mile turm off, here, turn right towards Toowoomba, be careful this intersection is a known killer.:yikes:
From here travel to Allora, then you have a choice the boring New England Hwy or the rural backroads via Clifton, these are bitumen and go through the farming areas, good roads but watch the 90 degree corners as they go around farmer Bob's sunflower crops. There are roos in those paddocks as well. From Clifton ( good pubs) and clean public toilets in the park near the railway line, stay on the back road that runs parallel to the Hwy and it will take you to Nobby.:thumbup:

For the ride home? I'd go via towards Toowoomba, if you are feeling adventurous you can turn off before Toowoomba towards Hodgson Vale and go down the Range and towards Flagstone Creek and then onto the dreaded Warrego Hwy near Helidon.

Alternatively go back to Clifton and down to Heifer Creek and Ma Ma Creek and onto Gatton, some good corners but watch for milk tankers on the narrow bits.

I'd then go to Minden, (the Motorcycle Museum at Craigslea is worth a look but does cost, I think $15) and onto Rosewood and back towards Aratula via Tarome (Pub here), turning off to the coast at the Boonah turn off. From here you have plenty of choices and options.
Watch out for mobile radar outside Allora.:yikes:

·
Registered
515 Posts
"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek; and you shall find; knock and it shall be opened unto you."

Dontcha love this place?? Ask a question, and you get an answer like that.

Excellent reply Drew, all good roads and interesting places.

Hmm... I think I might have to go out to Nobby soon as well.... :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I agree Oneoff. It's an excellent reply :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for the info it has been deeply appreciated hopefully if you make it to the gathering next year may very well have to buy you a beer.
cheers steve
Tweed-strom

·
Registered
808 Posts
Nobby to Nobby

That little advice on the run to Nobby is very interesting, I have only done some of that area. I might make it a Nobby Beach to Nobby run early in the new year or over Xmas if the wife has to work. Although coastal runs over the hot season are always a bit more comfortable. I guess the DR guys would do a Nobby Beach to Nobby on nobbies....

Keep the ideas coming, its all good for motivation. Cheers

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The Beer Economy!!

Thanks very much for the info it has been deeply appreciated hopefully if you make it to the gathering next year may very well have to buy you a beer.
cheers steve
Tweed-strom
I hope my directions were enough to get you by. Will be at gathering and a beer would be great, Tooheys Dry or preferrably Toohey's Old if on tap!:yesnod:

Alnost goes back to the days of the Rum Rebellion where grog was the currency of choice.

I'll drink to that!:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the directions to nobby they were pretty much spot on only had a little trouble at allora poor signage but when in doubt just ask at your local servo.Country folk are so polite and helpful few of the servo attendants in the larger towns could use a few lessons.Any way once again thank for travel tips it was a good ride and warmup for the gathering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts