StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who makes the OEM side cases for Suzuki (for the 2014+Vstrom1000). Like the look, don't need too much space, but won't pay that ridiculous amount that Suzuki want for them.

Thanks in advance if you can source the real manufacturer.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi, I am fairly sure they would be made by "SHAD" as they use the SHAD 3 point mounting system. This system I have seen on current model Yamaha and Honda Africa Twin.
Contacting Shad will be a waste of time :( The cases are OEM, made specifically for the V2 and under contract to Suzuki.Nothing in their regular range will fit the way the factory cases fit.
The benefit of paying $$$ to Suzuki is the RH side case allows for the exhaust and keeps the bike more evenly weighted and narrow :)
Your best option for factory cases would be to advertise "wanted" - but make sure you get the complete mounting set and you,ll need to have the locks keyed to your bike (or have 2 keys). In Australia the V2 comes with keyed alike locks, should you purchase the pannier set later.
We have the factory cases and they are very good quality IMO. Not cheap! but not significantly more than aftermarket hard cases, and the panniers come off in seconds and dont leave pannier frames still on the bike.
If you have recently purchased your bike from a dealer you might be able to secure a discount on a pannier set ;)
Good luck!
regards, Paul.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Paul. Too bad. I guess I will have to slink into the local dealer and play the game! The original spare locks have come with the bike, so that's one good thing.

Cheers Paul

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think if you can be patient, someone will sell their OEM cases, opting for aftermarket. The biggest limitation is lack of space for camping and touring. They are the exact same cases that are on the FJ-09...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think if you can be patient, someone will sell their OEM cases, opting for aftermarket. The biggest limitation is lack of space for camping and touring. They are the exact same cases that are on the FJ-09...

They are not the exact same cases as the FJ-09. They are shaped much differently. The latching mechanism and construction is very similar leading me to believe it is the same company. Bags Connection/SW Motech makes the FJ-09 bags and I believe based on what I have seen that they make the V2 bags as well..

·
Registered
506 Posts
They are not the exact same cases as the FJ-09. They are shaped much differently. The latching mechanism and construction is very similar leading me to believe it is the same company. Bags Connection/SW Motech makes the FJ-09 bags and I believe based on what I have seen that they make the V2 bags as well..
I misspoke...I meant they were obviously of the same manufacturer.

·
Registered
650 Posts
But the usable volume sucks due to the highly irregular internal shape...

Top box, tank bag helps!! as does stashing/lashing bags to the crash bars ;)
The factory panniers do offer some advantages,
They are NARROW :) , easy for traffic/parking/less wind resistance and weight to manage getting the bike off the sidestand, on to the centerstand :)
They look good! (IMO)
They work!
Wife and i dont have any trouble doing 2-3 week trips with them, we each have a "sports" bag we put into each pannier :) personal clothing/shoes in each pannier (his and hers) ,wet weather gear and maps etc in tank bag, "communal" stuff and valuables in the topbox ;)
If we were camping I,d ditch the topbox and used large rolltop duffles ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
They are NARROW :) , easy for traffic/parking/less wind resistance and weight to manage getting the bike off the sidestand, on to the centerstand :)
They look good! (IMO)
They work!
Wife and i dont have any trouble doing 2-3 week trips with them, we each have a "sports" bag we put into each pannier :) personal clothing/shoes in each pannier (his and hers) ,wet weather gear and maps etc in tank bag, "communal" stuff and valuables in the topbox ;)
I agree on your points. I just miss the OEM boxes on my ST1300 and my Givi 35 boxes on my VFR before that. After packing tools, tire repair kit including compressor and other bike stuff, my V-Strom muffler side case is full, only leaving one. Don't know how you do it...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
They look good! (IMO)
They work!
They do look pretty good and are functional..just odd shaped.

Most of my touring travel is one-up so I utilize a 60 liter drybag across the rear seat for camping gear & kitchen, and I also have a rack mounted on top of my topcase that I can lash down lighter bulky things such as sleeping pads and chairs. More than enough storage space for my needs and it all works very well..

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have some brand new OEM for sale for the V2 in the marketplace! Still in the box! Heck of a deal for someone! Message me if interested.

·
Registered
508 Posts
sw motech makes all of the oem parts or the adv model

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree. Also, if you want to "stack" items in them then you will have to take them off the bike and lay them flat due to their clam shell design. Then when you want to take anything out you have to do the same. Can be frustrating IMO.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I was an owner of 'clamshell' type boxes only once on my F800. And altho they had much more capacity than the Vs OEMs I swore never again because of that style. Top loaders for me only these days. And I think you will hear that from a lot of people.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts