StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I ride a KTM 450 excr on serious trail/beach work, and have little/no experience with the Weestrom on sand...

What tyre pressures can/should you run with soft sand??? (tubeless tyres)

and/or soft sand with a load...?

I am planning on fitting a Scotts dampener in future.

Cheers. :thumbup:

.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
417 Posts
20 is the lowest I've dared to go. It helps a lot. If your going to be riding in real soft dry sand be prepared to get stuck and have to pick your bike up, more then once.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't have much usefull to say (I wonder if anyone will read this now?) but...

I had a KTM 450exc as well...changed to a strom, found out the other day, that the stroms dual purpose tyres slip out from under you...also found out I couldn't pick it up on my own,

·
Registered
362 Posts
TKC 80s @ 18-20 psi, weight back and don't lose momentum . Still not great in deep sand, but with a little practice you'll get use to hating it :green_lol:. Love my 4fiddy.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Much the same as your 450, same principles apply. The big difference of course is all the weight is carried up heigh. In deep stuff I resorted to paddling as the onboard weight made it a handful for me. You'll learn on the job pretty quick :mrgreen: I ran in the 18-20 range but have read others had run as low as 15 p.s.i.
BTW. May Lady Luck be your traveling companion and have yourself a ball.

Saturn 5 ...... feeling a little green.

·
Registered
172 Posts
2 bob

I rode out from cams corner to innamincka through omicron and there was lots of sand.I was on my 1000 and dan had the 650. Standing on the pegs is mandatory[do yourself a favour and fit a set of cheap wide pegs] deflate tyres down to 20-22psi, and throttle wide. We travelled quick, and rarely went below 80 and often doing 120 to 140. It sounds silly.... and if we fell it would have been a disaster, but the bikes ate it up. All the riders are well seasoned and fast dirt riders. Lean back as usual, decelerating causes the front to plough, so dont do that.
Both stroms have fork braces, and I believe this to be one of the best suspension/steering modifications.
Good luck

I ride a KTM 450 excr on serious trail/beach work, and have little/no experience with the Weestrom on sand...

What tyre pressures can/should you run with soft sand??? (tubeless tyres)

and/or soft sand with a load...?

I am planning on fitting a Scotts dampener in future.

Cheers. :thumbup:

.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lean back as far as you can

I havent had my strom in the simpson

But I have had it up sandy creeks in the pilliga - running both k60's and E-10's chasing a 690 - sand about 2 feet deep.

and I found some nice sandy SHIT from menindee to poon last year that gave me the yips!

Its like a wiser older more skilled rider once said to me about riding in sand

Screw your right hand around as far as your confident to and dont let it back until you taste sand.

A bit like llwdewarts approach to the corner. I do find my strom is a little screwy compared to the dr650 once you back off in sand but if you maintain momentum they arent a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Storms have no rim locks to secure the tyre and have very soft rims. Anything less than 20psi is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Storms have no rim locks to secure the tyre and have very soft rims. Anything less than 20psi is asking for trouble.

Yes,

yes they do, like a dr 650 gearbox they are made of cheese

:headbang::headbang:

that was with 34+ in it

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks for the advice chaps.....

I'm fitting my Scotts steering damper..
Ordered a fork brace...
Got some steel mx pegs comin...

And new Heidenaus not below 20 psi...:thumbup:

·
Registered
608 Posts
That's the first complaint I've seen about VStrom rims. Mine have taken quite a hammering. Others I've talked to/read about say they're unbelievably strong. Compared to BMW rims they do seem to take more punishment.

All anecdotal, of course, so it's good to see a photo of the damage and realise they're not invincible after all.

+1 to K1W1's comment re 20psi.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Confucius

Ancient chinese proverb....
Confucius- say strom cheese wheel that bend- but not break -superior to walking home.

My wheels have copped a pizzling and do not work as tubeless, so I put in tubes.. problem fixed. Lentil yours looks a little past that. I have a new 650 front wheel in my shed- if you are looking for a new one- send me a PM
I have not had any issues with tyres creeping around on rims on vstrom wheels at the pressures I recommended.

I have solved the wheel thing by fitting equally cheesy KTM 950 wheels to by Behemoth...

Red hot how did the sand riding strom advice [of wringing its neck] in sand go for you

I am glad to see others enjoying riding their vstroms in a manner that they were not designed....... but clearly are somehow very capable of.

Cheers

Yes,

yes they do, like a dr 650 gearbox they are made of cheese

:headbang::headbang:

that was with 34+ in it

·
Registered
608 Posts
The forum has been littered with bent rim stories over years. A quick search of the google box above for "bent rim" found 176 results.
So there is. Read a few. Wonder if there's been some variation in the metal mix of the rims from year to year, some softer than others. I still consider them tough as all get out and it would take a massive wallop to dent them, particularly if they're inflated above 20psi.

Some comments have alluded to spokes being better but I think anything that hits hard enough to ding a cast rim would smash up a spoked wheel, too. I much prefer cast wheels and tubless tires to spoked and tubed. Friggin nightmare fixing punctures with those, replacing spokes, tightening spokes. Sure, if you're in the middle of nowhere and you munt a spoked wheel, as least you might be able to repair it, whereas you can't weld up a smashed cast rim in the bush. But then, that's a risk I'm happy to take, with the type of rides I do and my trusty RACQ card. (a few less google results for smashed cast rim).

Just my opinion and I don't mean to hijack the thread into a cast wheels vs spokes.

Murphy's Law says I'll ding the rim next time I'm out. Will be riding carefully.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Steering damper.

Soft sand is something I avoid when I can personally, but the damper has made a world of difference when I can't avoid it.

i.e. From the bike being frightening to ride crawling through at 20kph to "No worries" at 90.

I've also dinged a DL rim, but they do seem tougher than stock KTM 990 or BMW F800 rims (But not as good as the ones on the 1200GS). Discovered by experimentation ;) , and in most cases I hit the obstacles at higher speed than the other bikes - there is an element of luck admitted.

And getting a KTM rim up to "not made of cheese" is not cheap, probably not a lot different from the cost of replacing a DL wheel, not sure how many arms and legs the BMW rims cost to have relaced with an Excell rim and decent spokes, but likely quite spendy.

For me the relative ease of dealing with punctures is still the clear winner - I can ride slower and mostly dodge rocks large enough to ding a rim, but dodging nails I can't see is beyond me.

Pete

·
Registered
531 Posts
Bah. Riding sand's no biggie. Just point 'er forward and hold 'er open til you see God! What's the worst that could happen? ;)

Just nice a soft landing as the front washes out !
Here a some pics of what happened last Xmas when I rode through soft sand with a few weeks of luggage plus wife onboard....As we rode around a nice downhill sweeping bend the track turned from hard packed sand into a white powder sand drift. I opened the throttle and the rear spat a dusty rooster tail, followed by the front washing out. The pics are near Bemm River State forest VIC,, in the same week we had spent a day in some sand drifts in The Coorong SA with no lay over’s but it was a wrestle with the bars and a lot of throttle to get through some sections. Maybe I will get a steering dampener before next Xmas :)
p.s. the tyres were Metzlers with approx 25psi (no less with all that luggage)

Definately putting on knobbies and a dampener before I ride sand again !!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes ancient chinese proverb is right. But I am glad I was running tubes otherwise lentil would have walked from moonan flat to home - I had a grid hard on crawney pass coming down and I think thats where it happened (from the bitumen 2 gundy to the moonan flat pub I put 7 minutes on a couple of mates one on a 690 the other on a dr 650 ) I went white as a ghost when I pulled up @ the pub and the crack inside the rim was 7 cms long on the inside

I was lucky enough to get a bargain on some Excel Rims - they are oversized spokes and well made with a KTM 950 hubb and custom spacers (they originally came of TKS' Strom) and man they have made a difference - in my confidence levels
:yikes::yikes:

Im very very fortunate to have them!

as for twisting my right hand as far as I can till I taste sand it has worked for me so far.

I rode the simpson on my DR having never ridden real sand before in my life - it took some time and some falls but by the second day I was comfortable with it!

:biggrinjester:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts