StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were going to have our yard dug up next week to get the fiber optics installed. Our phone is sketchy when it rains here and i would like to get our telephone, internet, and Vios TV all in one bill, and it's cheaper too. For those that have it, is the internet any faster?

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
Why not use coax cable for everything? My local cable provider "Insight" offers all the above....works great from what I hear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
have had FiOS internet for a couple years and its great. it just got upgraded (as part of adding TV) from 5dl/2ul to 20dl/5ul. freaking rules. I've never had a single problem and the little D-link router they supplied as fairly useful. The special verizon-branded one they require for use with the TV service is a lot less user-friendly, from a configuration point of view.

The TV service is great too, but i was coming from plain ole analog cable to a 16 year old tv, so... My comcast-HD-having neighbor says my picture is crisper, and he has a better HD set than i do, FWIW.

as for phone, i'll as the same question i ask everyone. do you have a cell? why even have a house phone any more. (maybe for a security system or some such) haven't had one in 7 years and haven't missed it all all.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I had FIOS for awhile. I don't have an HDTV but the picture was about the same as I got with a satellite dish. Phone sounded the same but no more crackle & hiss when it rained. The internet was fairly quick, but the coax cable I had before was a little faster. Overall, I was satisfied until they started overcharging me several consecutive months. Customer service was a nightmare. I spent a lot of time on the phone trying to get a human. The few times I did, they said they didn't know how the billing records got screwed up & it never got resolved. I dumped them for their competitors. Verizon continued billing me until I filed a complaint with the FCC & Better Business Bureau, which put a stop to it. I hope you have better luck than I did.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Speed

Don't have FIOS in our area yet, but I'm finding that even the cable, with lower bandwidth, is more limited by how fast the sources can provide content than how fast the medium can transmit it. So faster speeds won't really help. In theory, fiber provides greater bandwidth for HD TV than cable, but in practice most programs are compressed to the cable standard, so, again, faster isn't better. Last time we had a local power outage (last summer, after a storm) the cell providers went down, but the phone (via cable) still worked. And the local 911 operators are still flaky about cell phone calls. So I'm keeping the land line. If/when FIOS becomes available, it'll be a price issue. Frankly, most cable (and satellite, and cell-phones) are rip-offs, pricewise, so I'm hoping competition may change that.

·
Registered
22,275 Posts
fiber is all I've ever had, when cable tv came up my street 30 years ago, they used fiber. at that time they offered internet/tv bundles, but now the offer phone too. My phone company ripped the copper out 15 years ago, and replaced with fiber. I have choice of 2 different fiber services on my street, both offer bundle, I foregothe TV and only get internet and phone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts