StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a new to me corbin seat. Its great, I can go all day on it, when the stock seat killed me after about 150 miles. I am having one problem, with a 32" inseam the extra width of the corbin has me on tippy toes which is not comfortable. I'm wondering who has lowered a VEE, either with dog bones, front fork adjustment or a combination of the two. Does it change the handling characteristics of the bike? I'm concerned I'll end up with a bike which isn't nearly as pleasant to ride as the stock height.

Thanks,

MedPlt

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
My bike has lowered dogbones. I still have the stock seat, and 32" inseam and i can flat foot it.

Unfortunately the dogbones were on my bike when i bought it, so i can't compare to anything, and i don't have a Corbin seat.

The bike rides fine.

Maybe the loss of the extra inch would be noticeable on trail rides, but i doubt it.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Yo Medplt I have a set of lowering bones in my tool box.
We can test at no cost:yesnod:
Mike

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
I lowered my strom soon after I bought it, iirc, I had the dogbones installed and lowered the triple tree at my 600 mile service

last week, when I had my new WP rear shock & spring and fork springs done, I returned everything to stock

is there a difference in handling.... with the bike lowered it doesn't feel as top heavy, and there are no adverse affects on handling

I DO have a hole in my trunk from where the tire rubbed a few times

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bought mine (2007 Vee) with lowering links on it. Put the stock ones back on and could barely reach the ground so I put the lowering ones back on. Only difference I can tell is I can touch the ground good now. Handling seems the same. Has stock seat on it also. I'm 5'11" 180lbs 32" inseam. Forks are stock position also.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yo Medplt I have a set of lowering bones in my tool box.
We can test at no cost:yesnod:
Mike
How about we do that and install the Cruise Control on the weekend of the 4th? I have a trip to NorCal planned for the following weekend wanted to have the bike for the trip.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i lowered my strom .75'' front & rear. i noticed rear suspension is now softer. need max pre-load.
Preload is adjusted to set ride height for the weight of the rider(s). Dampening adjustments set the hardness or softness of the compression stroke. Just an observation.

·
Registered
145 Posts
A timely thread...

I'm 5'6", about 170 lbs. w/30" inseam. 58 years old. Forks raised about 15mm I think. Rear pre-load at minimum setting. I made some lowering links to try before I spent money on nice ones. The result was that instead of getting the tips of both boots on the ground when on level ground was that I was just on the balls of both feet at the same time. Only a little gain there.

What I didn't like was that the bike seemed to weave a bit on sweeping curves, like the freeway off-ramp near my house around 70mph. Something just didn't seem right. So I put the stock links back in and have ridden it that way for a few more years. Only one minor tip-over while stopped in a parking lot...it just got over-center and, since I can't put my feet out away from the bike, over we went.

Now I am taking a new passenger, which means I need to dial in more pre-load in the rear. Of course this causes the bike to be even higher without her on the back!! Makes for even less confidence. So once again I want to revisit this lowering process.

I know the leverage changes by using different links and is not really the best way to lower the rear of the bike. Without spending $1,000, what would be involved in shortening the rear shock??

Thanks!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would take material out of the seat before I started messing with the bike's geometry. (You've already had one nasty scare with weaving!)

How much would it cost to have a lowered seat pan made with custom-height cushion? There are plenty of brilliant people in the motorcycle seat business.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would take material out of the seat before I started messing with the bike's geometry. (You've already had one nasty scare with weaving!)

How much would it cost to have a lowered seat pan made with custom-height cushion? There are plenty of brilliant people in the motorcycle seat business.

Just my $.02.
This was my first option...which I failed to mention. I had a custom seat made by Bill Mayer Saddles with a ride-in appointment. (I see that as the best way to have a seat made.) He made it as low as he could, but the extra width negated that right away. I have not cut the rubbers under the seat because it seems the sides of the seat will hit the side panels...and maybe only gain 1/4".

You are right! Someone needs to make a new seat pan that fits lower in the middle, with less on the sides.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lowered and like it

Hi I lowered my Vee with Soupy's adjustable lowering links, I am 5' 8" with a RDL seat. Still love the way it handles.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Columbo, is it possible those temporary links you made where not strong enough? The real links are solid as they should be. Maybe you should try again using real links and see if it works for you.

I am not having any issues with my bike lowered using shorter bones.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Columbo, is it possible those temporary links you made where not strong enough? The real links are solid as they should be. Maybe you should try again using real links and see if it works for you.

I am not having any issues with my bike lowered using shorter bones.
I used some 1" x 1/4" mild steel flat-stock and spaced the holes at 148mm. This was very solid...I don't think flex was an issue. Not positive of course...this is not my field of expertise. It seems the "correct" way to lower the bike AND keep the same leverage on the shock...is to buy a shorter, custom made shock...for around $1,000. An since the front can only be "lowered" a maximum of 3/4", it seems quite pricey to only be able to lower the rear by the same amount. Yes, the rear can be lowered about 1/4" more (to 1"), but then I think the front end won't feel right. Can-o-worms?

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
cross winds

When I bought mine, it was stock, front and rear, but came with a set of lowering links (about 1" I think). I'm about a 31" inseam, so I was on the balls of my feet (stock seat), but I wanted a little more footing. I put the lowering links in the rear, and lowered the front 3/4".

I could nearly flat foot it, which was nice and made for easier pushing around parking lots, etc. But, it seemed like the front sort of stuck up in the air, which seemed to make it much more susceptible to cross winds.

So, I put the original links back in the rear and left the front lowered 3/4", and that seems to be a pretty good combination, especially for crosswinds. Perhaps I'll try to find some 1/2" or 3/4" lowering links for the rear at some point. Or, perhaps now that I've logged another 4K miles since swapping the original links back in, I'm just more confident in crosswinds.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
soupys

I had 3/4" links, wasn't quite enough. I got some Soupy's adjustable and they work great. The 3/4" are for sale @ $40 (shipped in the USA) if you're interested PM me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok almost two weeks with my 08 V now and I'm still having trouble with height...

She has been lowered 25mm in rear (previous owner) pre load down to min and I've had job done on seat 9taking about another 20-25mm out .. but Im still finding it hard.
I'm only 5'6 1/2 and weight fcuk all :mrgreen:

So any more options?

If I go with 40mm lowering dog bones I'll get an extra wee bit but then centre /side stand will prob be affected?

Any thoughts on removing / reducing the rubber spacers under the seat??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts