StromTrooper banner

181 - 200 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
The GS's series bikes are at least prior to the great American hoax had been all but selling out so why would dealerships drop the prices when they know if you don't buy the bike someone else will and in short order.

In early April a friend bought a new GS while under the Governors stay at home order. At the time his was the 31st sale that month.
That doesn’t surprise me. The people that can afford to drop $20,000+ for a two wheeled toy aren’t exactly the demographic that are most impacted by the economic implications of the current unpleasantness.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Could be that BMW dealers won't discount NOS?

Guy at work bought bought a new previous year GS 1250, the dealer wouldn't budge on the price. He did get 20% off on accessories if I remember right. He still didn't want to spend $4,000 on the OEM hard luggage though!

I told him "hey you joined the club buck up". He didn't think that was funny!
I have seen numerous 2018, 2019 R1200GS at 3 to 4K under retail. Some of these were on CT. I tried to buy a 2018 in October 2019. The dealer was my friend and I have bought numerous GS's from him over the years. It was $4,000 under retail. But they were going to add 750 in misc dealer fees and related. I did not buy because I could not come up with the cash at the time. I am really glad I did not buy that bike. WHY? One day I went by to visit and talk shop. We were in the back. Their replacement tech for the guy that was so good for over 20 yrs could not R&R a tire correctly...IMHO. Then fast forward 6 months, and Covid-19 plus an economy in the toilet, ended everything. So now, service is a days drive. And twice that, ( total miles in excess 1350 kms) if it would have to be dropped off. Simply not that much better than a 2018 Strom 1000 both in price and quality of ride. Does the BMW ride different? YES. Is it better? Depends on the metric and ego involved. I know one thing, no BMW GS would beat me on a racetrack with me on the Vstrom 1000.

After watching this, a Royal Enfield Himalayan sounds like the best bike to own.

and ...

and ...

............just sayin'

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,310 Posts
My truth separator just blew up after trying to reckon with the last page or so......

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Again,

It's about personal choice and one's perception of value. An expensive German car isn't necessarily better than a Japanese car. It might just be more expensive because it's high performance and has lots of luxury features.

Some people want that and can afford to pay for it. Those folks wouldn't think of driving a Camry, even a nicer one. Others feel the Camry drives just as well for half the money and they buy that. You can't disparage either choice because they're both qualified by different rationale. And yes it's obvious money is a big factor for both set of buyers.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I have seen numerous 2018, 2019 R1200GS at 3 to 4K under retail. Some of these were on CT. I tried to buy a 2018 in October 2019. The dealer was my friend and I have bought numerous GS's from him over the years. It was $4,000 under retail. But they were going to add 750 in misc dealer fees and related. I did not buy because I could not come up with the cash at the time. I am really glad I did not buy that bike. WHY? One day I went by to visit and talk shop. We were in the back. Their replacement tech for the guy that was so good for over 20 yrs could not R&R a tire correctly...IMHO. Then fast forward 6 months, and Covid-19 plus an economy in the toilet, ended everything. So now, service is a days drive. And twice that, ( total miles in excess 1350 kms) if it would have to be dropped off. Simply not that much better than a 2018 Strom 1000 both in price and quality of ride. Does the BMW ride different? YES. Is it better? Depends on the metric and ego involved. I know one thing, no BMW GS would beat me on a racetrack with me on the Vstrom 1000.

After watching this, a Royal Enfield Himalayan sounds like the best bike to own.

and ...

and ...

............just sayin'
Just think that extra $750 you couldn't come up with saved you thousands! Plus you got a faster bike and a dealer that is closer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
And here is my two cents worth....

Two years ago, I bought a 2nd hand 2016 1000A with 5000km on the clock from a Suzuki dealer 500km away from where I live. I spotted the bike on line and chatted telephonically to the dealer several times. Set up a visit at his shop one Saturday morning, took the bike out twice - once one-up and the second time with the missus. The first time, I asked for a suitable route as I was not familiar with the area and the mechanic lead me on a 10km route around Durban. Fell in love immediately - with the bike, not the mechanic!

The reasons for choosing the DL were price, value for money and definitely not wanting to join the pompous BMW GS in-crowd! Almost all on-line test reports have either praised the DL for what it is - a great all rounder - or could not find any serious fault.

I bought this bike to hit the back roads, mainly unpaved (dirt roads) and fire breaks etc and even two-up it handles the task with aplomb. I have fitted a decent sump guard which has proved its worth on our last foray into the unknown before LOCKDOWN.

Apart from the great motor, perfect handling (both on and off road), good brakes and excellent ergonomics (read seating position) the way that the DL dissipates engine heat is simply the best that I have encountered on any bike. I have no idea where the heat goes and how the engineers have ducted it away from the rider, but by comparison to other bikes, the DL pilot is always a cool cat. This is very noticeable in hot climates like ours in Africa.

OEM Spares are a synch to get, the local Suzuki car dealer orders for me, two day waiting time!

I hope that my bike and I will enjoy the legendary DL reliability, as I intend to keep this one for a good long time. Going into retirement does not give me the chance to buy and sell bikes as I used to.

Simply put, the big DL is the bike for all seasons and all reasons, difficult to find a better all-rounder for the price.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
And here is my two cents worth....

Two years ago, I bought a 2nd hand 2016 1000A with 5000km on the clock from a Suzuki dealer 500km away from where I live. I spotted the bike on line and chatted telephonically to the dealer several times. Set up a visit at his shop one Saturday morning, took the bike out twice - once one-up and the second time with the missus. The first time, I asked for a suitable route as I was not familiar with the area and the mechanic lead me on a 10km route around Durban. Fell in love immediately - with the bike, not the mechanic!

The reasons for choosing the DL were price, value for money and definitely not wanting to join the pompous BMW GS in-crowd! Almost all on-line test reports have either praised the DL for what it is - a great all rounder - or could not find any serious fault.

I bought this bike to hit the back roads, mainly unpaved (dirt roads) and fire breaks etc and even two-up it handles the task with aplomb. I have fitted a decent sump guard which has proved its worth on our last foray into the unknown before LOCKDOWN.

Apart from the great motor, perfect handling (both on and off road), good brakes and excellent ergonomics (read seating position) the way that the DL dissipates engine heat is simply the best that I have encountered on any bike. I have no idea where the heat goes and how the engineers have ducted it away from the rider, but by comparison to other bikes, the DL pilot is always a cool cat. This is very noticeable in hot climates like ours in Africa.

OEM Spares are a synch to get, the local Suzuki car dealer orders for me, two day waiting time!

I hope that my bike and I will enjoy the legendary DL reliability, as I intend to keep this one for a good long time. Going into retirement does not give me the chance to buy and sell bikes as I used to.

Simply put, the big DL is the bike for all seasons and all reasons, difficult to find a better all-rounder for the price.
Nice write up! I think you will be very happy with the "ZOOK" !

·
Registered
17 Posts
As a returning rider , I am looking at my options. Most of my 55 years of riding took place on BMW's... specifically the GS. I have owned Hondas, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Indian Springfield, HD for like a week...lol. Sadly, the BMW dealer ship near me ( 55 miles) is now gone. The nearest is 200 miles. I have been looking at all scenario's , like service and reliability etc. I do not see doing any more Iron Butt rides or 3 week trips. That all said, I am seriously considering a new old stock 2015 DL1000. It seems BMW has developed a really bad reputation for quality and even worse when it comes to getting a warrantee issue resolved.

What I do not know is, what was your experiences with dealer ships? How much trouble is using/ riding a bike with a chain. I know back in the 70's it sucked!

FWIW, I have been reading on here for days ( nothing else to do). Seems there are as many ways to maintain a chain as bike owners. Very CONFUSING !

What would be a good price? It is a standard model !

Thanks for your well thought out response!
Cheers,
David
Sir, I have a 2014 V 1000, Love it!! Reliable as you can get!! Parts not too expensive, easy/low maintenance. Biggest draw back NO CRUISE CONTROL!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Sir, I have a 2014 V 1000, Love it!! Reliable as you can get!! Parts not too expensive, easy/low maintenance. Biggest draw back NO CRUISE CONTROL!!
I agree, loving my nos 2018
It is every thing I can use.
A kaoko throttle lock c/c helps take the work load off. It is a learned skill...so don’t rush it.
it is not worth spending the extra 4~5k dollars imho....for c/c

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Everybody always thinks the bike they bought is the best.🥰

I am the only one who is correct. The rest of you are SUCKERS.😎
And anybody that does not agree with me is not listening properly.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Rule #1 - I am always right.
Rule #2 - See Rule #1.

Reactions: Oldiebut goodie

·
Registered
244 Posts
For me it came down to value... I was able to get a 2014 1000 with some extras added, for $6380, 3004 miles. close to new BMW GS, looking at $20+.
While I was looking I found 3 or 4 14/15's within a day of me, all with under 5K miles and for about $6-6750. So I could have got 3 for the price of the BMW. I could not wrap my head around that..

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
For me it came down to value... I was able to get a 2014 1000 with some extras added, for $6380, 3004 miles. close to new BMW GS, looking at $20+.
While I was looking I found 3 or 4 14/15's within a day of me, all with under 5K miles and for about $6-6750. So I could have got 3 for the price of the BMW. I could not wrap my head around that..
I can't help but wonder if you compared a 6 year old DL to a 6 year old R1200Gs if the monetary spread would have been so drastic.

It all too often that when folks compare things is apples to oranges.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #200 (Edited)
I can't help but wonder if you compared a 6 year old DL to a 6 year old R1200Gs if the monetary spread would have been so drastic.

It all too often that when folks compare things is apples to oranges.
Correct, often is the case when folks don't think things through. I had to sell my 2008 R1200GS,due to the 2008 economic down turn. I spent a year farkling that machine to the max. I was getting it ready for Alaska trip and maybe beyond. It made me sad to be sure. I lost my business, and home. It took me 10 yrs to partially get on my feet. I knew that when ever I would be able to buy a bike, it would have to be a wise move. Money just does not flow like it used to. This includes the willingness of institutions to loan money.

That said, With no BMW dealer support( that will be needed for warrantee issues) , and the fact that a used 2018 BMW cost around $15 k ~ 18K, with 10K ++ miles or a new 2018 Vstrom for $8900 ( OTD) ... right there was an idea that deserved a great deal of thought. The question was, how does owning and riding a non-BMW suss out. So far, I am glad that things went the way they did. ALL IN ALL, I see nothing to be gained owning a BMW vs a 2018 Vstrom. If I was talking about a pre 2018 Vstrom, I would have had reservations.

181 - 200 of 201 Posts