StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a returning rider , I am looking at my options. Most of my 55 years of riding took place on BMW's... specifically the GS. I have owned Hondas, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Indian Springfield, HD for like a week...lol. Sadly, the BMW dealer ship near me ( 55 miles) is now gone. The nearest is 200 miles. I have been looking at all scenario's , like service and reliability etc. I do not see doing any more Iron Butt rides or 3 week trips. That all said, I am seriously considering a new old stock 2015 DL1000. It seems BMW has developed a really bad reputation for quality and even worse when it comes to getting a warrantee issue resolved.

What I do not know is, what was your experiences with dealer ships? How much trouble is using/ riding a bike with a chain. I know back in the 70's it sucked!

FWIW, I have been reading on here for days ( nothing else to do). Seems there are as many ways to maintain a chain as bike owners. Very CONFUSING !

What would be a good price? It is a standard model !

Thanks for your well thought out response!
Cheers,
David

·
Registered
132 Posts
i just bought a 2016 gs for the same price as i bought my 2016 dl650 new, gs has 35k miles, as new condition, is the better bike in my opinion, don't ever go to dealers, i learned that in the 70's,,, the shaft is a no brainer for me, my 1982 yamaha had a shaft, only the krl and v strom have chains, easy maintenance, don't do anything and change the sprokets and chain as a set,

Reactions: Oldiebut goodie

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I had two GS BMW bikes. A 96 model and an 08 model. I loved them both. They are great bikes to ride and I think about getting one from time to time but the VStrom is great also and it is stupid reliable! I've been on my 15 model
since April 17, it was a new old stock bike. I ride a 07 KLR also and it's in tip top shape and I like it because when I get
back on the VEE it seems like a rocket.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had two GS BMW bikes. A 96 model and an 08 model. I loved them both. They are great bikes to ride and I think about getting one from time to time but the VStrom is great also and it is stupid reliable! I've been on my 15 model
since April 17, it was a new old stock bike. I ride a 07 KLR also and it's in tip top shape and I like it because when I get
back on the VEE it seems like a rocket.
Bugs, I am not sure I understand your post. You purchased a 2015 in april 2019?
Why did you get the VSTROM over another GS?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just bought a 2016 gs for the same price as i bought my 2016 dl650 new, gs has 35k miles, as new condition, is the better bike in my opinion, don't ever go to dealers, i learned that in the 70's,,, the shaft is a no brainer for me, my 1982 yamaha had a shaft, only the krl and v strom have chains, easy maintenance, don't do anything and change the sprokets and chain as a set,
Pete, you feel the BMW is a better bike... what makes you feel like that? So you do all the maintenance on the 2016 GS? Do you read threads on ADV rider? There are a few threads that they talk about how the rear brake needs to be flushed ever 8k miles ..seems it gets spongy way to soon. Do you still ride the strom? I am trying to decide between a NOS 2105 DL1000 less than $10,000 vs a 2014 to 2018 for $14,000 to $17,000. With the possibility of spending another $7,000..... you can see why the DL1000 looks so inviting. My concerns with the DL1000 are 1. Taking care of the chain, as i do not like a filthy bike. How it rides compared to a 2016 GS. I did get to test ride a 2016 GSA... it was fantastic. I also got to ride a 2010 R1250GSA... it was beyond other worldly amazing... just freaking amazing. I wish I could afford it.
At 67, I think what ever bike i buy, will be the last. Also, I do not even know if I can come up with the extra cash a BMW would take. PETE...in addition now there is not dealer with in 200 miles. So I would be forced to due most of the maintenance. I can handle some of it. I am thinking it would be easier to work on the DL1000. Also I think the DL1000 might be a lot more reliable? Pete, do you have any idea how the power on the DL1000 compares to the 2016 R1200GS?

Thank you!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all very much for taking time to respond... it is very much appreciated.

BTW, I have been calling around to all the dealers in Louisiana. No one has any new DL1000.... only 1 or 2 gave a damn and tried to help....so sad. Several told me that people in Louisiana do not buy that kind of bike. Folks in states like TN, AK etc buy them. Hmmmmmmm.... i don't know

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pete, you feel the BMW is a better bike... what makes you feel like that? So you do all the maintenance on the 2016 GS? Do you read threads on ADV rider? There are a few threads that they talk about how the rear brake needs to be flushed ever 8k miles ..seems it gets spongy way to soon. Do you still ride the strom? I am trying to decide between a NOS 2105 DL1000 less than $10,000 vs a 2014 to 2018 for $14,000 to $17,000. With the possibility of spending another $7,000..... you can see why the DL1000 looks so inviting. My concerns with the DL1000 are 1. Taking care of the chain, as i do not like a filthy bike. How it rides compared to a 2016 GS. I did get to test ride a 2016 GSA... it was fantastic. I also got to ride a 2010 R1250GSA... it was beyond other worldly amazing... just freaking amazing. I wish I could afford it.
At 67, I think what ever bike i buy, will be the last. Also, I do not even know if I can come up with the extra cash a BMW would take. PETE...in addition now there is not dealer with in 200 miles. So I would be forced to due most of the maintenance. I can handle some of it. I am thinking it would be easier to work on the DL1000. Also I think the DL1000 might be a lot more reliable? Pete, do you have any idea how the power on the DL1000 compares to the 2016 R1200GS?

Thank you!
well, the gs feels lighter, less top heavy when moving, i have a 650, so power is no comparison, way more comfortable two up, ergonomics are better stock than the strom, i can get the strom better, but not stock, had no issues with the brakes, but i use motul 660, the gs gets better mileage than the 650, just two different worlds, i do all the work on all my bikes, and the gs is the easist of the three, KLR, v strom and the gs,,,,i got a good deal on the gs, same price as the strom, and seems like i got way better bike for the same money, yeah one was used and one was new, but for two up on long trips, the gs is the go to bike, if i'm going on unknown dirt trails, then the KLR is the bike, i can leave it behind in a ditch and it's ok, i'm not going to do that with the gs,, for maintenance, i can do my valves on the gs in 15 min, that's hours and a lot of blue words on the strom, i like the strom, but if i had to keep only one, the gs would stay, even if the costs are more, i have had $0 in maintenance on the strom, but a shock upgrade, and handlebar upgrade, front fork spring upgrade,,,had to do nothing on the gs to get it to ride like it should,,the strom needed to have things upgraded, i would do what ever you think is the best fit for you, there is a bike for everybody, not one size fits all, it they are the same price, the gs wins, if i had to spend $7k more, i'd have to think about it,, good luck, Pepe

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
NOS 2019 DL1000 less than $10,000. Romney Cycles in Romney WV a no BS no fee dealer. Have it shipped for around $400. Get a 4 year newer bike for the same money local shops want for their NOS 2015.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
As a returning rider , I am looking at my options. Most of my 55 years of riding took place on BMW's... specifically the GS. I have owned Hondas, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Indian Springfield, HD for like a week...lol. Sadly, the BMW dealer ship near me ( 55 miles) is now gone. The nearest is 200 miles. I have been looking at all scenario's , like service and reliability etc. I do not see doing any more Iron Butt rides or 3 week trips. That all said, I am seriously considering a new old stock 2015 DL1000. It seems BMW has developed a really bad reputation for quality and even worse when it comes to getting a warrantee issue resolved.

What I do not know is, what was your experiences with dealer ships? How much trouble is using/ riding a bike with a chain. I know back in the 70's it sucked!

FWIW, I have been reading on here for days ( nothing else to do). Seems there are as many ways to maintain a chain as bike owners. Very CONFUSING !

What would be a good price? It is a standard model !
You seem to be bit Brand Promiscuous, me too.;) You don't say to what degree you will be doing true dirt biking. That matters. My answer assumes your national enduro days are behind you.(me too)
When I bought my new old stock V-Strom I could have gotten a sweet GS for just a few bucks more. Most of the guys I ride with are on a GS. We swap bikes every so often. Very cool motorcycles.

As for the drive chain, current chains are exponentially better and I replaced mine at about 18,000 miles. There is nothing really confusing about maintaining them. Which fly fishing lure to use is confusing. The BMW drive trains are not problem free. I've owned two BMWs. Neither a GS but both had drive train failures, one spectacular. One difference is that a chain announces when it is getting old. ....

The DL1000A has plenty of power. The speed difference between mine and the GS(s) I ride with is fractional. I love the "soul" of the 90* V twin engine. You may have noticed that a lot of members here are well into the six figure mileage.

As far as dealers go, I have a good one near me who is responsive and we respect each, other even though I do most of my own work. Every so often I go in there and buy something even if I could have saved 8% online. The BMW are very good. If they weren't ... why would my friends buy one every other year? (kidding) (sorta)
Personally, I have no idea about current prices of the V-Stroms.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
NOS 2019 DL1000 less than $10,000. Romney Cycles in Romney WV a no BS no fee dealer. Have it shipped for around $400. Get a 4 year newer bike for the same money local shops want for their NOS 2015.

Yes, I was going to say $10,000 is WAY too much money for a NOS 2015. For a lot less than that you can get a low mileage, fully farkled same generation 1000 with luggage.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I was going to say $10,000 is WAY too much money for a NOS 2015. For a lot less than that you can get a low mileage, fully farkled same generation 1000 with luggage.
So can you please give me an idea what would be a fair price? I like the idea of buying the 2019 mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
So can you please give me an idea what would be a fair price? I like the idea of buying the 2019 mentioned above.
I wish I could say, David. Someone closer to you may give a better idea of local values. I can't see it being more than $8000 and maybe less. If it is a standard model, it probably doesn't have luggage, either.

It may be NOS, but it is still 5 years old in the world's eyes (bank, insurance, resale/trade in value, etc.). I'm not one to ever buy anything new, either. I'd much rather buy a gently used and well cared for car, truck, bike, snowblower, anything. You save a good 50% that way. But, that's me, others like to be the first to touch it.

Keep looking or check out the 2019 mentioned above.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NVDUCATI... yes my days of going crazy off road are over. I used to find roads to go down on my 1989 R100GS. I even got it stuck with each jug caught into a small dirt mound ( on each side) the exact width to stop me. I was going slow. It was a hot south Louisiana day in the middle of August. I played hell getting that bike un-stuck. At my current age... no way i could do that. LOL
I suppose like so many, I just have grown to like the ride, the comfort and the looks of the GS. In fact my first chance to ride such a bike was in late 1960's on a Honda 175 scrambler. Man we had some fun on that! As for being promiscuous, I think its more of a JAY LENO thing .... just a Motörhead nothing more, nothing less. IN fact, sadly, I had the chance to own all those muscle cars that I sold for nothing.... that to day ... I would be a rich man. I just gravitate to single track vehicles.... even the pedal type.
In fact, even the Yamaha Tracer 900GT has caught my eye. I think the GS is more off road capable than the Strom. That is ok with me. Also my Iron butt type of riding days are gone as well. I simply miss not having a motorcycle to hop on and clear the cob webs so to speak. From my time of flying hang gliders, racing 200 mph street bikes, and doing aerobatics in a RV4, riding a bike scratches an itch that only it can do.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wish I could say, David. Someone closer to you may give a better idea of local values. I can't see it being more than $8000 and maybe less. If it is a standard model, it probably doesn't have luggage, either.

It may be NOS, but it is still 5 years old in the world's eyes (bank, insurance, resale/trade in value, etc.). I'm not one to ever buy anything new, either. I'd much rather buy a gently used and well cared for car, truck, bike, snowblower, anything. You save a good 50% that way. But, that's me, others like to be the first to touch it.

Keep looking or check out the 2019 mentioned above.

Cheers,
Glenn
Thanks Glenn, I think 8 would be close. But a 2019 for 9500 makes more sense. You are right about the 5 yrs old stuff. It has crossed my mind a great deal.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I made a decision to part with my former Triumph 1200 Explorer when I just got too old and was not strong enough to deal with its top heaviness any more. I then started to look for a replacement and at the end of the day a 2016 DL 1000 ABS was that bike. I had previously tried a GS with the liquid cooled motor while I still had the Triumph. Imho there was nothing special about it and the motor couldn't compare with the triple for overall usability. By that I mean that the triple had hauled me out of situations where the BM twin would not. The BM suspension was good but the gearbox felt a bit agricultural. So for me, improved suspension and a somewhat characterless motor was not worth the somewhat exhorbitant price that one pays for a BM.

Prior to parting with the Triumph I had never even considered the DL, but then one day a friend practically forced me to take a ride on his, and immediately I knew I had to consider one as a replacement for my Triumph. The DLhas plenty of usable power, as much as any normal experienced rider will ever need. The suspension is adequate but it would not cost much to improve on it. I havent bothered. Chains are a pain but waaay better than they were in the 70's. The chances are that a GS final drive will give trouble long before You would need to replace a well maintained chain and sprockets on a DL. I have seen far too many friends (and other folks who I know) having their BM's trailed home after failed final drives, some of whom were far from home when it happened.

Last year I took my DL to Europe for a tour two up with my Wife fully laden with panniers, top box and tankbag. We rode some of the most demanding roads in Europe in the Dolomites and Alps, including some really rough roads bordering on offroad. That bike took it all in its stride, never missed a beat, never gave me an anxious moment and just simply got on with the task at hand. It is exactly what I need and I will have it for a long time.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
"
I have seen far too many friends (and other folks who I know) having their BM's trailed home after failed final drives, some of whom were far from home when it happened."

So what is the number of final drive failure you have seen? I have several friends with BMW and I do not remember one of them having final drive problems or really any problems. My one friend has well over 600,000 miles on BMW's a does not have problems even on 1150's that were supposed to be the most problematic.

I will say he does heed the warning signs and at about 50,000 miles start checking for some end play in the rear wheel. When this happens he replace the big earing and is set for another 50, 60 or 70+ thousand miles. So like the final drive if you choose to disregard the warning signs a worn chain or sprockets can be just as catastrophic. Not unheard of for a worn or out of adjustment chain to jump off the sprocket and wad up into the engine case breaking it.

Also curious as to where the triple go you out of a situation where the boxer could not have?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
"
I have seen far too many friends (and other folks who I know) having their BM's trailed home after failed final drives, some of whom were far from home when it happened."

So what is the number of final drive failure you have seen? I have several friends with BMW and I do not remember one of them having final drive problems or really any problems. My one friend has well over 600,000 miles on BMW's a does not have problems even on 1150's that were supposed to be the most problematic.

I will say he does heed the warning signs and at about 50,000 miles start checking for some end play in the rear wheel. When this happens he replace the big earing and is set for another 50, 60 or 70+ thousand miles. So like the final drive if you choose to disregard the warning signs a worn chain or sprockets can be just as catastrophic. Not unheard of for a worn or out of adjustment chain to jump off the sprocket and wad up into the engine case breaking it.

Also curious as to where the triple go you out of a situation where the boxer could not have?
Perazzi, I wonder if you would consider adjusting your font colour some. I have my screen set on Dark mode to help my old eyes, so the background is black. That makes your posts virtually invisible and I am really interested in what you have to say.

Cheers,
Glenn

1 - 20 of 201 Posts