• What's An Oil Change?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Vee, I purchased the stealer's pre-paid service package. Now that I am learning more about bike maintenance and upkeep, I think I may have been better off doing my own work.

·
Registered
764 Posts
So far, with 6000+ miles on my 06', I've taken care of all of the service work. Absolutely no reason to go to the dealer for something as simple as an oil change.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I pretty much do it all. But I won't mess with valves. The are done so seldom, I figure it is not worth learning it because I would have forgotten it by the time it is due next.

·
Registered
22,196 Posts
I can't afford not to pay the dealer, my time is worth too much and I get reimbursed for business miles that more than pays for maintenance

I count on my bike, with professional maintenance, I can drop my bike and pick ut up later in day , I've never had to leave my bike overnight except when I have left it at closing time to have a cold engine for valve inspection

the only work I do on my bike is install & maintain my accessories, I even pay the dealer to wash my bike

dealership loyalty has gained me a 15% or more discount on parts service & accessories, 30day terms, only the top mechanic works on my bike and most recently my 07 Vee for $7500 otd

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I do the oil changes and basic maintenance myself and there's a guy at my workplace that used to be a mechanic so I get lots of good advice from him.

For tire changes, I'll take the wheel off and bring it in to the local Yamaha shop because they seem to be the most reliable and reasonably priced.

When it's time for more intricate work like the valve clearance check/adjustment I'll probably bring it in to the Suzuki dealer since they're most familiar with the bike.

- Martin

·
Registered
195 Posts
i dont have the time to do it myself. with my work schedule and family commitments, if i were to take on service requirements on both bike, i would never have time to ride. same thing pertains to washingwaxing...just cuts in to riding time.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I do it myself. That way I know it's done right. Or at all, for that matter.:rolleyes:

Valve adjustments are easy. Wheel bearings are too. If it was an engine rebuild, I might have someone else do it.

If Paul Karo were closer to me, I'd let him work on it.:D

·
Registered
725 Posts
I do almost all, I even spoon on my own tires. I did bring it in when the throttle body actuator went, because that was done under warranty. The valve clearance is due on my bike, I'm going to check it myself but probably bring it in if it needs adjusting.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
that makes it sound like you would prefer not to do it yourself, how will you ever know if you have found a good mechanic if you never have a mechanic work on it ? ;)
I don't have a garage so my working conditions are less than optimal. The work itself isn't the problem.

·
Registered
334 Posts
With all the projects I have going it was worth the money, to me, for the pre-paid program. I also do a lot of four wheeling and dirtbiking. Both of these hobbies require that I work on my own stuff. That said I don't mind the dealer doing that work for me. HAPPY STROMMING!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just remember: no one cares more about YOUR bike than YOU do.

I do all my own work. I have zero faith in any motorcycle dealer mechanic.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I do what I can given I don't have a garage.

·
Registered
22,196 Posts
Just remember: no one cares more about YOUR bike than YOU do.
it doesn't matter about sentiments toward your bike, what matters is knowledge, I'm sorry you can't put trust in others, I put my trust in the guy that gets the factory service bulletins, has a complete tool box and good workspace

when travelling, who do I see broken down on the side of the road most often, they guys who do their own wrenching

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
when travelling, who do I see broken down on the side of the road most often, they guys who do their own wrenching
I'd argue that they can probably get the bike rolling again sooner than having to depend on someone else, but you're also right about factory-supported techs having access to service bulletins and other resources. I've repaired electronic equipment for a living for almost 40 years and fully understand factory support. Without it, I'd have no business.

I like working on the bike and used to feel the same way about the cah, but it's been 25 years since I did all of my own automotive wrenching. I have a top notch mechanic for that, and as you say, I get more money for my time than I have to pay him for his.

·
Registered
226 Posts
it doesn't matter about sentiments toward your bike, what matters is knowledge, I'm sorry you can't put trust in others, I put my trust in the guy that gets the factory service bulletins, has a complete tool box and good workspace
It has nothing to do with sentiments toward my bike. I don't usually get emotionally involved with any of my bikes. I put my trust in the guy that get the factory service bulletins, has a complete tool box, and good work space...ME!

When you see other bikes broken down on the side of the road do you stop and ask them if they do their own work or if a "factory trained" mechanic did their work?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I put my trust in the guy that get the factory service bulletins, has a complete tool box, and good work space...ME!
Hahaha....I had to go through a mini survey as part of the activation process when I installed Direct TV on the house in the early 90's.

Q: Did you install it yourself, or was it professionally installed?
A: YES!

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I voted "Dealer Does It All" but that's not exactly true. I also have an extended warranty that covers all my maintenance so they do about 90% of it. Sometimes I feel an intermediate oil change is necessary and I do that. I also wanted to try Iridium plugs and a K&N air filter so I installed those. I do my own TBS, chain adjustment, etc.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

So by riding by one broken down they wear a sign that says, "I do my own wrenching!":confused:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts