StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
QUESTION: In an EMERGENCY, Could I run white gasoline (camping stove fuel) in a 2013 DL650A Gladius "Glee Strom" ?

Discussion: I am sure that there are many variables, such as how diluted the mixture is and how far (how long) I would run on white gas.

I am intending to be a State and National Park Bum and travel the Gulf States and the 4-Corners States and to mostly (pretty much always) be camping out and doing maintenance and repairs on the road or (shudder) at a dealership.

I can only carry so much stuff and I will already be carrying some quantity of white gas and SLX (denatured alcohol) ... So ... I am just wondering if I might make use of those fuels in an emergency and how much worse it would be to run on pure white gas (if I should run bone dry) or if I add a gallon of white gas to a half-full tank (~3 gals) ...?

As far as SLX Denatured alcohol goes, I figure that it could be used if it did not exceed 10% or maybe even 15% or 20% *IF* it was just a one time thing, or extremely infrequent ... Just wondering.

I doubt anyone has any direct experience with this. I once watched a guy top up a Japanese cruiser with diesel fuel, before he realized his error ... I told him that I would find a way to empty the tank (he said it was about 40% full when he topped it off with diesel and he actually thought he could get away with "running it through" ... DOH!) ...

What do you folks think? ... What is your logic ? 2013 DL650A ABS Adventure.

= end of post =

·
Registered
310 Posts
White gas has an octane rating of around 50 and zero additives. The bike may not start on straight WG and if it does, expect it to cough, knock and ping in unbelievable ways. If it was a true emergency and you didn't care about possible long term damage, adding white gas to a half full tank may be a viable option of last resort.

I have owned two diesel Land Cruisers... modern engines with their computer control and refinement can't take a fraction of the punishment those diesels could. You could almost put olive oil in the tank and it would still take you home!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
White gas has an octane rating of around 50 and zero additives. The bike may not start on straight WG and if it does, expect it to cough, knock and ping in unbelievable ways. If it was a true emergency and you didn't care about possible long term damage, adding white gas to a half full tank may be a viable option of last resort.
Well ... Luckily, my Coleman Exponent Multi-Fuel Stove does run on UNLEADED GASOLINE (automobile gasoline) ... I guess I COULD just run the stove off of unleaded, even though it is not as clean-burning and the fumes are more noxious than white gas (for cooking) ... Still, given my expressed application of hard-core, long-distance motorcycle camping, it is clear that I would be better off just running unleaded automobile gasoline in my camp stove and I would have "that much" extra in emergency reserve, for my Glee-Strom.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-550B725-Exponent-Multi-Fuel-Stove/dp/B0009VC7QK

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Back in the day the MAIN product was a Coleman Mantle Lanterns

The Mantles are basically something that chars to a catalytic converter. The Lead in most fuels would coat and poison the mantle so it wouldn't work. AMOCO High Test of the time was UNleaded and though MORE volatile then Coleman fuel it was fine in all Coleman stuff.

Just the feel of Coleman juice would indicate to me it is a LARGER molecule than Gas.

If it was push or try it .. I would try it but it sounds as a poor plan. There are a few responsible ways of carrying a spare Gallon.

If you buy a NEW gas can you get the TREE hugger Nozzle which basically makes it unsafe to travel (bastards). Thanks to the commercial sector you can buy a separate old fashion cap for $7 on Amazon... There you go.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If white camping gas is a purer form of regular naptha, I'd say the bike won't run on it very well at all. Seafoam (regular naptha and isopropanol) doesn't work well in my v-twin lawn tractor when the concentration is ~50% as I accidentally found out. I wouldn't recommend it.....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Go to your local Liquor store and pick up a handle of Everclear or Golden Grain... 190 Proof booze.

Put it in your tank right before you run dry and you'd most likely equal out close to 85% alcohol. That'd be the same as E85 sold at many pumps across the US. E85 rates at approximately 110 Octane equivalency.

The bike should run on it, but I'd run it out and fill with unleaded 87 Octane as soon as possible.
E85/Flex Fuel vehicles have special rubber hoses and either use stainless steel or anodized aluminum components in the fuel system. Ethanol degrades standard rubber fuel line and corrodes bare aluminum parts if it's allowed to hang out for a while.

Additionally, the liquor should run your camping stove with no noxious fumes. Though you'll want to be VERY sure the flame is extinguished. In the sunlight, an alcohol flame is hard to see as it's very light blue.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Back in about 1980 I set out with a buddy for a spring fishing trip 900 miles away. We (I) pushed on beyond my car's fuel capacity in search of cheaper gas. As we crested a hill in Arkansas it died ... silence ... maybe we can coast down to the next exit. Nope. Now what? We rummaged thru the car and found the Coleman white gas. It started right up but rattled like a diesel and smoked too. Dilution fixed it. Funny memory but not a good plan for your Strom.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have contemplated the same issue. For what its worth, one guy riding a Super Tenere said he ran it on white gas without a problem. You are probably stubborn, like me, and refuse to stop at a gas station unless your indicator is blinking - break that habit.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
How much fuel (white or unleaded) are you going to carry? How are you going to carry it? It seems to me that for much on the road you plan on living you'd have more than just a single bottle of fuel...So it seems to me like you could carry both fuels, and use the unleaded as a last option for your camp stove...

Have you considered a butane stove like this one?

The fuel canisters are very small and light and you don't have to worry about extra liquid fuel either...this is similar to what I use...

my .02

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Although a good topic of conversation, you're thinking way too far into this. Carry a Rotopax or empty fuel bladder. Since you will be in Nat. And State Parks there will be plenty of people around to help out. Even if wilderness camping in Nat. Forrest you figure a way out of problems.
I spent four months doing the same trip as you have planed, but out west, and 40 years later the majority of my memories are of the problems I encountered and how I overcame them.
But don't put white gas in your bike unless surrounded by large hungry carnivores and a quick exit is your only means of survival

·
Registered
236 Posts
i have

I have burned white gas in an 07 V-Strom 1000. there was no issues. We only put about 20 ml in the tank to finish our trip to Prudo Bay. From there we ran unleaded in the MSR whisper lite. The bike ran better on white gas then the stove on unleaded.
In short yes you can. I would not fill my tank with it.

R

·
0 Posts
I have owned two diesel Land Cruisers... modern engines with their computer control and refinement can't take a fraction of the punishment those diesels could. You could almost put olive oil in the tank and it would still take you home!
The Land Cruiser... a modern miracle of under-engineering. A fantastic machine that powered every brush fire war and rag tag group of rebels through almost every armed campaign in the world. If it burns, then the Cruiser will burn it.
If you see news footage of a dozen grim and menacing guys armed to the teeth (no panty waist assault rifles allowed) and riding in a single vehicle, they are usually in a diesel Cruiser.

Back to fuel..... it's a good idea to carry a single fuel so why not use a MSR multi fuel stove.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The Land Cruiser... a modern miracle of under-engineering. A fantastic machine that powered every brush fire war and rag tag group of rebels through almost every armed campaign in the world. If it burns, then the Cruiser will burn it.
If you see news footage of a dozen grim and menacing guys armed to the teeth (no panty waist assault rifles allowed) and riding in a single vehicle, they are usually in a diesel Cruiser.

Back to fuel..... it's a good idea to carry a single fuel so why not use a MSR multi fuel stove.
+1 on the MSR Whisper Lite International. Very flexible. Fuel bottle also eliminates canisters going into the landfill.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
THANKS TO ALL ...

Just a few more thoughts and realizations ...

My longest trip, so far, was just under 240 miles (one way) ... I am just coming up on 2K miles, total, BTW ... I very much doubt that I would run out of gas before I got butt fatigue and stopped to get off, anyway ... On that last trip, I stopped about half way (~120 miles) and topped up and on the way back, I rode ALMOST all the way back (~180 miles) and I was squirming like a worm for the last 30 miles (just a really annoying sort of tender-tension) ... Felt SO good to get off !! ... So ... Not likely that I would try to push-through to an empty tank ... The bike can go further than my butt can (in one go) ...

BUT ... I have been on several trips where signs said LAST GAS FOR 80 MILES (etc.) ... So ... I made the wrong decision, ONE time (in a truck). ...

I ** DO ** own many compact hiking and camping stoves, including Emberlit and Swiss Ranger Volcano wood burning stoves ... Several Alcohol stoves (TRANGIA and home-built) ... This COLEMAN GAS BURNER and also one of those large butane Coleman screw-tops ... Finally, I have one of those Chinese propane pocket rockets (the little orange case) ... So I do have options and often carry several. I just like the Gasoline stove because the fuel lasts a LONG time and I *can* use regular, unleaded, road-fuel, which I do see as a plus.

Bottom line ??? If I was being chased by a roving gang of armed punks and all the gas stations were closed, I *might* try to empty my camp-stove and any fuel bottles, alcohol, turpentine or what -EVER into the bike and just ditch it when it explodes. ... Other than that ? ... I would probably park it in some bushes and hitch a ride to the nearest town, buy a can of gas and hitch a ride back to my bike.

HECK ... To ME (MY budget) My Strom is WAY expensive (2013 Adventure) and I will not even take it down to the beach because I do not want it to rust out. (maybe after it has more than 24K miles) ... So ... I do not think I will be pouring whisky in my tank, if I have ANY other options ... I was mainly just curious to know JUST HOW DAMAGING (or not) using white gas would be (just in case it was no problem at all, however unlikely) ..

So ... Again ... Thanks, ALL ... Way more interesting and useful feedback than I could even have imagined (as usual) ... This forum ROCKS SO HARD !!

Y'all are just a great bunch ("WE" are) !

=Stromberger=

·
Registered
232 Posts
I do not think I will be pouring whisky in my tank, if I have ANY other options ...
Grain liquor is not whiskey.

Whiskey is 80 Proof... 40% Alcohol.

Everclear or Golden Grain are 190 Proof... 95% Alcohol.
Ethanol is corn alcohol.

It's the same stuff that the add 10-15% with Gasoline at your normal fuel pump

Ethanol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Grain liquor is not whiskey.

Whiskey is 80 Proof... 40% Alcohol.

Everclear or Golden Grain are 190 Proof... 95% Alcohol.
Ethanol is corn alcohol.

It's the same stuff that the add 10-15% with Gasoline at your normal fuel pump

Ethanol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
corn is grain

whiskey is whatever proof/% it is distilled to

ethanol is alcohol fermented from sugars, not necessarily corn, sugar beets, sugar cane work better, you can make ethanol from corn, rye, rice, potatoes, and agwave as well as many other things

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you're going to carry whiskey just call AMA road service and drink the whiskey while you wait. You'll be much happier at the end of the day..........TD

·
Administrator
17,412 Posts
Although a good topic of conversation, you're thinking way too far into this. Carry a Rotopax or empty fuel bladder. Since you will be in Nat. And State Parks there will be plenty of people around to help out. Even if wilderness camping in Nat. Forrest you figure a way out of problems.
I spent four months doing the same trip as you have planed, but out west, and 40 years later the majority of my memories are of the problems I encountered and how I overcame them.
But don't put white gas in your bike unless surrounded by large hungry carnivores and a quick exit is your only means of survival
Bingo.......

1 - 20 of 29 Posts