StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got 500 KM (300 miles) on my Wee and have found that when I'm riding at 80 KM (50 MPH) in 5th at 4500 RPM, there is a rhythmic hum or whirring sound.

Also, it sounded really rough today (hot and humid)-was the first time in 3 days that I took it out and it sounded as if there was no oil. The temperature gauge is consistently running with 4 bars and checked the oil level - the window was still full of that stock mineral stuff, though.

Not knowing much about small engines, are either of these something I should be concerned about?

Cheers,

Lang

-----------
'05 Blue VStrom 650

K

·
0 Posts
My bike has now been riden 3000 km.
I have/had the same "humming" sound on 5:th. When it went into first services at 1000 km I told them to check it. They said the engine sounded as it should and it might have been the slack on the chain, which they tightened. I think it hums less now, but I'm not sure. It sure is annoying and if it dont stop completely I will talk to the dealer again.

My temperature gauge has never been over 3, but I live in Sweden - not so hot weather here:)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Mine has never been above three bars either and I live in Virginia. While I only have about 1k on the odo, I have done some two up ridding on hot days in the hills.

You say the Oil widow is full. Do you mean at the full mark? Putting too much oil in might cause problems.

K

·
0 Posts
You should see it a couple of minutes after riding and when the bike is "levelled" - standing straight up.

·
Registered
360 Posts
You should be able to see the top of the oil in the window when the engine is cool and the bike is level. If the whole window is filled with oil, then there is too much in the crank case.

My 650 has never had over three bars on the temp gauge, even during 90 degree stop and go riding. Check your coolant level while you're checking oil.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the oil situation is resolved (yes, I didn't have it on the center stand)....ugh.

Coolant is at "low" line - topped it up (50/50 mix) and took it out for a spin. 84F and pushed it harder than before, but the temp bars maxxed out at 3 - incredible what a cup of liquid will do!

So back to the original post, what about the whirring sound? Has anyone else other than k-strom and me observed the same? It only seems to happen in 5th btw 4k and 5k RPM.

(Continued thanks to all for helping me be less of a gomer when it comes to bikes and my 'Strom).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sounds like a chain issue, if so should be able to duplicate it in each gear at the same rpms. Lubing and adjusting the chain sounds like it should be done. New bikes and or new chains need to be adjusted early in their lives and lubing every 300-500 miles.

K

·
0 Posts
I was out riding for 150 km today and really listened for the "humming" sound. And its really better since first services. So it might have been the loose chain, try adjust it. 2-3 cm slack i think it should be.

K-Strom

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at the owner's manual, it doesn't seem to be too difficult to adjust the chain tension. Is that correct, or is there something I should be concerned with that the manual doesn't tell me?

·
Registered
504 Posts
My 650 made a noise similar to the one you mentioned when I first got my bike and I agree with some of the other guys here, it could be your chain. Mine seems to like only about a half an inch of play, it shifts better also. I even went so far as to spray sound-deadening undercoating on the inside of my front sprocket cover to try to muffle the sound, which didn't help much, but switching to chain WAX rather than oil helped quite a bit. Might be worth a try.

Dan

·
Registered
360 Posts
My DL seems to make a fair amount of chain noise. I especially notice a bark from the chain when I roll off the throttle quickly.

Adjusting the chain is fairly easy. Make sure you keep the alignment marks on the swingarms the same for each side. The adjusting bolts are lefty-loosy, righty-tighty. Turn them 1/4 or 1/8 turn at a time because a little goes a long way. Also, you might want to invest in a 1/2" torque wrench to make sure the axle nut is tightened to spec. I tend to adjust the chain on the loose side of spec to reduce wear.

T

·
0 Posts
mine too!

i have the exact noise in 5th just like yours lajaro...and im pretty sure its not the chain cause i only hear it in 5th and no other gears...im not overly concerned about it though but id be interested to learn what it is...trying to get this back on topic....

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Mine makes a whirring noise too. I don't think it's a problem. Maybe it's the TSCC? Suzuki's "Twin Swirl Cobustion Chambers". Or is it the propeller beanie I have glued to the top of my helmet? Either way, I think it sounds like a lear jet taking off. Very cool.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Lajaro,

It is summer and I am running with the stock screen at the lowest position to keep me cool. If my engine were humming or whirring in 5th, I am going too fast to hear it over the wind noise. I think you should be somewhat concerned with the 4 bars on the coolant temp. I have never seen more than three. I just got back from some in-town traffic at 95-110F temperatures - three bars, never more. Maybe it will run cooler after it is broken in. Otherwise, something is out of calibration (the gauge) or out of whack.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts