StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy my first wee strom which will also be my first street bike. Here are the two that I am looking at, which would you choose and why?

1) used 2007 with 3313 miles. Blue and black, non abs, looks and rides like it is brand new. Only farkle is a centerstand. $4999

2) new 2011. Black abs $6999

So I guess what I am asking is the abs and warrantee worth the extra $2k?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can a mod fix the title of my thread. Stupid spell check on my iPhone changed strom to Stromboli :(

·
Registered
275 Posts
My vote is for the 2007.... but for $4,000 or close , no way 5k for a 2007.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As a new owner of a new 2011, black abs, I say got for that one.

I know these things are reliable, so buying used wouldn't be a huge issue, but I prefer new every time. Plus, to me it's not just the warranty and abs you are paying the extra $2k for -- it's a 4-year newer bike. What will that 2011be worth 4 years from now versus the 2007, which will then be 8 years old? I am sure it would be worth that $2k more.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ABS wins if you can afford it

for us regualr guys, biggest riding threat is a 4-wheeled UFO in front of us - and the subsequent need to to get hard on the brakes - ABS lets you do that more reliably without dropping it

on the other hand - buying used is a cheap way to do a real test ride (many miles as needed, in varying conditions), then go new at a later date

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Nobody is gonna want a 2011 in a few years [resale consideration] especially when all the swanky 2012 hit the resale market in a year or two. Unless you really really want ABS, I'd go with the 2007, it's depreciation curve has bottomed out, and really won't creep downwards that much over the next few years.

As for the 2007? Closer to $4k would be ideal, but if the bike is conveniently located, it might be worth offering $4500-$4600 [its low mileage and does have a centerstand - bout a $150 extra farkle]. It might be some time til another Wee comes across your radar that's low mileage and close to home.

I'd get the 2007, ride it for a few years, then sell it off for a nicely farkled, low mileage 2012 Wee! That's my plan at least!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as proximity goes, the new one is at a Suzuki dealer 10 miles south of my house and the used one is at a Suzuki dealer 15 miles north. So proximity is not a factor, and both are reputable dealers with a good customer service reputation.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Anyone who denies the value (not guarantee) of ABS is in denial.

I searched high and low until finding an ABS model...I just made it a requirement after having it on an FJR.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I only clicked on this because of stromboli :) I have an 06 non abs, I have not had any issues but would really like to have abs if I had the money. abs is not a replacement for good breaking but if you screw up its better than nothing.

R

·
0 Posts
I'd go for the 2007 because I know that I would drop it sooner or later. I think it would hurt less on an older unit.
Don't ask me how many times I have had to pick up brand new bikes. It's enough to make a grown man cry!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Lots of great points made here. I think the issue is that the price on the 2007 is too high. Its 4 years old and only about $1000 less than I paid for my 2007 back in 2007!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stromboli

I thought the Stromboli reference was most clever. My concern on the 07 is that it sat unridden a great amount of time. You noted that it ran well, so it seems that the owner knew how to store the Wee correctly. $4k would be a good deal, Happy Riding!

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
Anyone who denies the value (not guarantee) of ABS is in denial.

Not denial, experienced with ABS of questionable value, my F800ST BMW. ABS doesn't make up for braking and riding skills. Plan ahead and don't ride like DUM-DUM.
The brakes on the stock 2004 Wee are good by my standards compared to several bikes of same vintage and newer.
Like riding as though your are invisible to the dorks in the cars, technique serve a better end.

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
I paid $3500 for a 2004 with 23.5K miles and thought I did well enough price wise. It's definitely worth the money to me. It's really a wunnerful bike! Even without ABS.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I too waited for one with ABS. Found a 2008 with 2000 miles for $5500. Had a Madstad and Center stand as well as a throttlemeister.
I would buy neither and wait for one with ABS to come up. I almost got impatient and went for new too.

Bottom line (and this pretty much works everywhere) Get what you want. Don't buy something just cause it's cheap. A few months from now the price will wear off but the lack of something you wanted will not.

On the Strombolli: There are a whole bunch of jokes on the web based on the automatic corrections the Iphone makes (if you have some spare time do a search.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts