StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Its not so simple:

Depends on a couple of things.

1. Do you change you own tires?
2. Do you use a shop to change your tires. If so how much do they charge per tire?
3. Do the Moto Z tires last twice as long and the Shinko's?

If you have to pay $40 or $50 per wheel to get tires changed I'd go for the longer lasting more expensive tires and save on repeated labor. If there is little or no cost for changing tires I'd go for the less expensive tires that may not last as long but you can fit 2 new sets for the price of one.

Also factor in if you have to rely on a shop to do your tire changing how long does it take. Do you have to miss a 1/2 day of work to take the bike to the shop. Do you have to drop the bike off one day and pick up another. All wasted time.

Also be advised the MotoZ tire you have linked is for an 18" wheel. No matter how cheap it is or if it lasts forever it isn't going to fit very well on the 17" rear wheel of a VStrom

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not so simple:

Depends on a couple of things.

1. Do you change you own tires?
2. Do you use a shop to change your tires. If so how much do they charge per tire?
3. Do the Moto Z tires last twice as long and the Shinko's?

If you have to pay $40 or $50 per wheel to get tires changed I'd go for the longer lasting more expensive tires and save on repeated labor. If there is little or no cost for changing tires I'd go for the less expensive tires that may not last as long but you can fit 2 new sets for the price of one.

Also factor in if you have to rely on a shop to do your tire changing how long does it take. Do you have to miss a 1/2 day of work to take the bike to the shop. Do you have to drop the bike off one day and pick up another. All wasted time.

Also be advised the MotoZ tire you have linked is for an 18" wheel. No matter how cheap it is or if it lasts forever it isn't going to fit very well on the 17" rear wheel of a VStrom
:smile2:
Thank you for the response , I agree with everything you pointed .
Also MOTO Z has 150/70/17 and 110/80/19 exactly for V strom., combined price under $300 us some places even less.
Ride safe/Ride long

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,341 Posts
Don't bet too much on the MotoZ outlasting the Shinko. Maybe it will. Or maybe it won't. But for $300 you are in the PREMIUM price range for two tires for a V Strom.

Spend your money wisely!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Value, good performance, good longevity, Shinko 705
But they are singers 40-50mph until well past broken in...

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I opted for the "longer lasting" Continental TKC 70's over the Shinko 705's. About twice the price and expected to last about twice as long. However, I do not like the conti's one bit and am stuck with them for twice as long...

If fact, my experience with the TKC 70's has even got me seriously considering just going back to the Battlewings. They were awesome by comparison (but pricey), and I don't think I want to get stuck with another "slightly more dirt, but doesn't really make much difference" set of tires. I mostly ride on pavement since all the dirt around here is about 2 hours away in any direction.

I mount and balance my own tires. So maybe the short lived tires will give me twice as much "fresh and smooth"... ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I opted for the "longer lasting" Continental TKC 70's over the Shinko 705's. About twice the price and expected to last about twice as long. However, I do not like the conti's one bit and am stuck with them for twice as long...

If fact, my experience with the TKC 70's has even got me seriously considering just going back to the Battlewings. They were awesome by comparison (but pricey), and I don't think I want to get stuck with another "slightly more dirt, but doesn't really make much difference" set of tires. I mostly ride on pavement since all the dirt around here is about 2 hours away in any direction.

I mount and balance my own tires. So maybe the short lived tires will give me twice as much "fresh and smooth"... ?
I suspect it might just be a matter of personal taste, but what didn't you like about them?

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Tramlining is problem numero uno, from day one...

Felt like continuously riding on tar snakes. Made me second guess and double and triple check the installation.

The front is also developing a nasty cup at only about 4,500 miles. With the alternating contact patch pattern, I suspect they are the culprit for the handle bars wobbling side to side too. E. G. Flicking the bike from one side of the lane to the other (like when dodging debris) results in a little kick back in the handle bars. Similarly, in gusty uneven wind the bike dances back and forth and wobbles like crazy. Even started to feel the beginnings of oscillation in the handle bars when traveling into a head wind. Suspect it is getting worse as the cups grow.

The bike was more stable and planted on the stock battlewings in 40+mph crosswinds than the TKC 70's are in calm clean air. The battlewings were rock solid for 10,000 miles and didn't exhibit any of the above behaviors.

I was looking for something slightly more dirt oriented, but I suspect that I'm always going to prefer the touring oriented performance. It has me wondering if that type of behavior is because of the dirt oriented design features (and would affect all dirt tires) or if it is specific to the TKC 70 design.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Tramlining is problem numero uno, from day one...

Felt like continuously riding on tar snakes. Made me second guess and double and triple check the installation.
Well dang, now I'm suspicious -- I've noticed quite a bit of that in the last couple weeks, I just thought it was because they're worn down and square (I'm spending FAR more time on the superslab now that I'm back in Seattle metro area, with all our grooved pavement for rain drainage..)

The front is also developing a nasty cup at only about 4,500 miles. With the alternating contact patch pattern, I suspect they are the culprit for the handle bars wobbling side to side too. E. G. Flicking the bike from one side of the lane to the other (like when dodging debris) results in a little kick back in the handle bars. Similarly, in gusty uneven wind the bike dances back and forth and wobbles like crazy. Even started to feel the beginnings of oscillation in the handle bars when traveling into a head wind. Suspect it is getting worse as the cups grow.
Pretty much every review I've seen of them talked about NOT putting a matched set on, because of this.

I was pretty happy with the gravel and dirt performance from it, I will say.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,341 Posts
Yes, the TKC 70's will outlast the 705's. At least the rear TKC 70 does. That is a very good all around rear tire. The front tire of the TKC 70 set is not all that good for highway use. It does hold noticeably better in softer, more loose material than the Shinko 705, but just like any knobby style tire they are going to cup. If you can live with the cupping, and some owners have reversed the tire on the rim to counter some of this, then this is a TRUE 70/30 tire. They actually hold very well on pavement, even in wet conditions. But the noise from the front tire and the vibrations from it are not for the owner that is particular about a smooth quiet bike on the street!

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
My 705 finally wore down to the wear markers, and holey-moley, were they LOUD!!!!!!!!! It was near unbearable with my face shield up....I'm now running metzeler tourance Next tires, and they're sooooo quiet! ahhhh lovely

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What year should your new shinko 705 be produced to be considered new, 2018 is almost over , what year on the side of tire considered acceptable, I see discounted tries from 2014 , but pass them.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
brand new un used BW501-502 for VStrom both for under $ 200 tax included but 2014 made , what you say?
Ride safe/Ride long

1 - 20 of 22 Posts