StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the hype on the manufacturers websites I need some input from users of these products. It seems you can spend from $50 - $300 for th same end function but there is a big difference in the ease of use and fitment. Below are some of those I have looked at. At this stage I am avoiding a vacuum canister type setup due to the space and complicated setup so it seems throttle type controllers are my next option.

I am riding to across Australia Melbourne (8 days) in June for a footy trip and want to be able to give the hand a rest every once in a while and also enjoy the scenery without having to keep checking my speed.
http://www.mcnews.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=12883

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
pilbaralad... I have the Kaoko and it does what it's supposed to do. It works great on flat pavement and will keep a very constant speed. On the other hand, it you are in a hilly area, you speeds will decrease even with the slightest hill going up it and increase vise-versa. Overall, I am happy with it, I just don't live in a very flat area.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I have the Kaoko too, and love it.

The speed variations will occur with any throttle lock. I find I can set the Kaoko tight enough to hold the throttle but loose enough that I can make adjustments as needed. Wouldn't be without it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If your looking for a cheap throttle lock, I think I have the best solution. I use and have used this set up for about 10years. Pick up a rubber O ring from a heavy equipment shop or hydraulic supplier and slip it over your bar end. Put about half of the ring on your throttle grip and half on the bar end. The throttle will stay in the location you set it and the resistance is so minimal that it is not unsafe. With a flick of a finger or a bump of the side of you hand it will pot off. It will cost you between .50 cents and 1 dollar for this type of rubber O ring. Buy two...then if you loose one you will have a spare.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
If your looking for a cheap throttle lock, I think I have the best solution. I use and have used this set up for about 10years. Pick up a rubber O ring from a heavy equipment shop or hydraulic supplier and slip it over your bar end. Put about half of the ring on your throttle grip and half on the bar end. The throttle will stay in the location you set it and the resistance is so minimal that it is not unsafe. With a flick of a finger or a bump of the side of you hand it will pot off. It will cost you between .50 cents and 1 dollar for this type of rubber O ring. Buy two...then if you loose one you will have a spare.
Well, that's not really in the spirit of excess we like to adhere to in the DL1000 club. Why buy something for $0.50, that works, if you can buy something fancier, that does the same job, for $100.00. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the vista cruise on my old bike, a yamaha v-star cruiser, and it worked perfectly. Not sure if it would fit well on the strom. However, if it can be fitted then I'd highly recomend it!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey Heavy

After the Provincial and Federal goverments rape me for half my paycheck all I can afford is a 50 cent o ring!

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Sounds like you need a new job...or a raise. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been using the o-ring method myself. Even got one in yellow to match the Vee. Works great for only a buck. Why pay more?

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts

I use this one and am happy with it. It cost around $30 from a dealer.

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
Do you find the grip a little cramped? Perhaps it is long enough. I had one of those on my KLR and there was not room for all my fingers. I've run these before on my old Honda 750's and they seemed fine as I can remember.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
I did find the grip a little smaller, but not an issue. On the Strom, there is a little extra room with the bar end.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Why not look at a real cruise control rather than a throttle lock?
I have seen on the net "somewhere " A bloke who fitted one on a wee strom . It had photos and a good detailed right up. When I get a chance I try and find the link.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the suggestions/feedback. I have got a Kaoko Throttle Lock, yet to to fit it but a lot of ADV riders swear by it.

Another great discovery was a new Australian Distributor for SW Motech and other great manufacturers. Us Aussies usually get slugged big freight costs for buying from overseas so this will make things a lot easier. Case in point, I went to order the SWmotech quicklock Tank Bag from Twisted Throttle and the freight cost came up as being more than the bag!!!

Now I can buy from an Aussie Distrubutor, yahoo!

I have told the owner (Michael) that if he gets in touch with Brendan and supports the site he could be listed as a vendor here, so if any of you deal with him let him know you came from stromtrooper so it encourages him to support the site.

http://www.motorradgarage.com.au/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts