StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
6' 5 1/2" (with my boots on).:p

Being rediculously tall and weighing in at 235 pounds I've always had a hard time finding bikes that fit me. Now I've got my eye on a new Strom, but don't know which one to buy. Part of me thinks the 1000 is the way to go, what with my height and desire to ride 400+ miles days up to Yosemite and such (from the SF Bay Area), but at the same time it seems like such a HUGE bike. There's also the price to consider. I've always been pretty cheap when it comes to buying bikes and like the lower out-the-door price of the 650.
Is the 650 noticably smaller than the 1000, or is mainly the seat height that's different?
(easily correctable). If they're both about the same it makes my choice a little (lot) easier.

Then there's weight. Granted the difference is only 50 +/- pounds, but weight is weight and after adding the various bits of Bling it could start to add up.

Size
Weight
Price
Intended use

All things to take into consideration to be sure, but right now I just want to know which one's larger/taller.:mrgreen:

-T

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
The Wee is 1" inch shorter. Take care of that by swapping someone for a 1000 seat. At your size the weight difference would be a non issue. You mentioned the P word ($$$). Price and operating costs seem to be an important consideration for a lot of Wee riders. You sound like you'd be better off with the Wee.

·
Registered
175 Posts
the height difference is due to the seats, not the bikes which are far more similar than different. If sitting on the 1000 feels better, you'll love the tall
touring seat which is nearly an inch taller, nearly 2" taller on the 650. All of the seats fit on either bike by the way. If you are tall tho, whether it's the 650 or 1000, you'll like the tall touring seat. You might want to lower the pegs as well. I haven't done that yet but it's on the list.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
You also need to consider your riding style. If you like to twist the right grip a lot, then the 1k might be a better fit. If you like to cruise and/or ride with less, ah, aggression, then the 6fiddy might be a better fit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello -

I am 6'4" and weigh 250 lbs.

No question for me the DL1000 is the way to go - more power - feels planted on the road! Main reason I bought the DL1000 in the first place is because this bike just feels custom made for tall people like us!

My vote is the Big V!

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
567 Posts
I am 6 3 and love the riding position of the Wee. I have ordered the madstad bracket to lift the screen to stop the helmet buffeting issue. There is a rumour Suzuki may not continue the 1000 due to low sales, may be a resale/parts issue in the future??? Great thing about the wee is it's size for a 650, doesnt ride like a small bike and certainly doesnt look it. I dont miss the right wrist reponce of my last Honda V-twin 1000, as I was prone to be a bit silly, this bike has the GG's to get up and go for passing etc but doesnt beg to be ridden hard. Another issue for long trips is fuel consumption, if you want to do long trips without having to stop as often for fuel the 650 is great, and one of the major selling points for me when I was shopping around, 400km + to a tank.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The 1000's demise isn't about sales so much as emissions. It won't meet the 2008 requirements.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If there's one thing I've learned is that you body will adapt to either Strom. I went from a Honda cruiser to the Strom and it took a few weeks for the small pains to go away. There are plenty aftermarket parts to make either bike more comfortable. The DL1000 feels roomier and has an important safety feature...POWER. Kawidad said it best, it depends on your riding style.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I sold my 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650 yesterday and after delivering it 60 kilometres I went to the local Suzuki dealer (VMS in Kelowna) where they let me take a used 1000 out for an hours ride...what a difference after a year with the KLR! The power is stunning and I felt so planted to the road, it does feel heavy though, so I'm 99% sure April 1st will bring a 2007 650 ABS as my new bike. I am only 5'11" with a 32 inch inseam but will likely go for the taller seat as the seat/foot peg relationship feels better on the 1000. The KLR did all it was supposed to do...great bike, but didn't work out with my riding style (more highway than I thought I was going to be doing)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sold my 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650. The KLR did all it was supposed to do...great bike, but didn't work out with my riding style (more highway than I thought I was going to be doing)
Amen to that. I just sold my (over-blinged) '05 KLR 650. It was a great bike for what it was built for, but I found I too was riding more street than dirt and wanted just a little more passing power and a more comfortable, less stressful/fatiguing ride on long hauls.

If you like to twist the right grip a lot, then the 1k might be a better fit. If you like to cruise and/or ride with less, ah, aggression, then the 6fiddy might be a better fit.
I went from a 1200cc Buell Cyclone to a 650cc KLR and was told by my riding buddies that my riding not only smoothed out, but my overall speeds increased. Having less power made me smoother and faster, and this doesn't surprise me a bit. Extra power is nice for getting yourself out of trouble, but power can also get you into trouble if you're not careful or are prone twisting the right grip a lot.
Granted the KLR was a dog when it came to passing, but at least I knew I wasn't going to grab too much throttle heading into a turn and rocket off into the trees (something you couldn't be sure of on the Buell). It was very predictable and easy to control.

Since I'm going to have to change the seat regardless and have always been a bit frugal when it comes to my riding, I'm leaning towards the Wee/650 as my next bike.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

-T

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Good choice, Kilby.

Dear Kilby,

I had a wonderful day touring the Sea-to-Sky and then on up to 100 Mile House, after which I tented near Blue River. The next day I rode to North Battleford SK.

My V-Strom 650 was an ideal bike for BC's mountain twisties and Saskatchewan's flat and rainy highways.

I live in Florida, so I don't get to BC all that often. The V-Strom was an ideal choice for my Toronto-Vancouver-Toronto ride, and in 2007 I think I will tour the Maritime Provinces. I think it's great to have a Sport Utility Bike, which a recent Canadian mag called the "Swiss Army Bike".

I can't report on the ABS issue, but I can tell you that the stock brakes provide all the stopping I need. (Not much, because I am an old fart who puts almost all the wear on the central two inches of the tires!)

Good luck!
Keith Falkner
Sarasota Florida

PS. I'm glad the Lions beat the Alouettes!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm 6'1", 195 lbs., 34-inch inseam. I straddled both bikes and zipped around on both, and I simply found the 1K to be a lot more accomodating and relaxed for my riding style, which is sane and sedate.

Also, the GF is into the 2-up thing and when we were both on the bike, the 1K felt more like our living room instead of the bathroom.

I drive a Volkswagen R32, which has the 3.2-liter VR6 engine. The folks that drive GTI's with the 2.8-liter VR6 for some reason are convinced that their motor is better and faster. Either they're right or envious.

Hey, in theoretical physics an elephant weighs less than a feather.

Applying Occam's Razor should assist you making the right choice.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm 6'1", 195 lbs., 34-inch inseam. I straddled both bikes and zipped around on both, and I simply found the 1K to be a lot more accomodating and relaxed for my riding style, which is sane and sedate.

Also, the GF is into the 2-up thing and when we were both on the bike, the 1K felt more like our living room instead of the bathroom.

I drive a Volkswagen R32, which has the 3.2-liter VR6 engine. The folks that drive GTI's with the 2.8-liter VR6 for some reason are convinced that their motor is better and faster. Either they're right or envious.

Hey, in theoretical physics an elephant weighs less than a feather.

Applying Occam's Razor should assist you making the right choice.

Ohhhhhhh, an R32, you lucky bugger. I test drove the Golf 2.0 Diesel with the trick auto transmission and loved it, they are such a beautifully put together vehicle. Once my lease is up on my Toyota Prado 4 x4 I will be visiting the VW showroom again.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The 1000's demise isn't about sales so much as emissions. It won't meet the 2008 requirements.
I know this is off topic but.... well then why update the weestrom to meet specs and not the 1000.....could it be they won't spend/invest the dollars on a low volume model?

Don't get me wrong I don't have anything against the big V, just putting it out there as a consideration for a potential vstrom brother!

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I don't think you are off topic, it seems the original poster already made his (good ;) ) decision.
Yeah, come on pilbaralad. BigT has made up his mind. Whatever you do, you must not do anything to make him change his mind, and make a (bad ;) ) decision. If the 6'4" dude wants to feel like a circus bear riding his Wee, that's his perogative. He's a frugal, practical guy. More of us should be like that! :twisted:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ohhhhhhh, an R32, you lucky bugger. I test drove the Golf 2.0 Diesel with the trick auto transmission and loved it, they are such a beautifully put together vehicle. Once my lease is up on my Toyota Prado 4 x4 I will be visiting the VW showroom again.
If it's one thing about the American car market, it's their lack of formidable diesel-equipped cars. VW makes some great diesel engines throughout the world, of which only 2 (2.0-liter and the V10 Touareg model) are in the American market. Sad.

Although living in California and its tough emission standards isn't going to make them any more available in the foreseeable future, I envy my father and his 1999 VW New Beetle diesel and the 50+ MPG he gets.

Speaking of diesel, are there any diesel motorcycles? I'm sure someone's tried, just like the rotary engined motorcycles of yore.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If it's one thing about the American car market, it's their lack of formidable diesel-equipped cars. VW makes some great diesel engines throughout the world, of which only 2 (2.0-liter and the V10 Touareg model) are in the American market. Sad.

Although living in California and its tough emission standards isn't going to make them any more available in the foreseeable future, I envy my father and his 1999 VW New Beetle diesel and the 50+ MPG he gets.

Speaking of diesel, are there any diesel motorcycles? I'm sure someone's tried, just like the rotary engined motorcycles of yore.
Can't remember which website it was on but the American Military has developed a Diesel motorcycle, which is sensible as every other vehicle they have runs on deisel and ULP may be hard to get in Iraq, Afganistan, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
If, as stated ealier, won't I look like just as much of a bear on the 1000?? :p

-T
Just messin with you brother. I'm just another big guy, who likes big stuff. The bikes are similar all right, from about 40 feet.

Enjoy your Wee. Sounds like it's perfect for you!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts