StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know off the top of their head which size allen key is needed to remove the hex bolts that attach the pegs to the bike?

I think it may be a 6mm, but the 6mm I have doesn't fit real tight. Any ideas? Also is it possible to get a bigger 6mm? The ones I have are for bicycles so you can't really get much leverage on them without snapping them in half. The hex bolts on the right side of the bike are really tight. I put on some wd-40 and hopefully that will break up any corrosion that's in there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
6mm - You can get a set of T-handle wrenches from Harbor Freight really cheap. Not the best, but they work just fine for me. Another option would be to buy a single 6mm hex socket from Sears.
There is a product called Blaster that does a good job loosening stuck fasteners, you can get it at any auto parts store or Lowes/HD you could also apply some heat.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the idea of the hex socket..I've gotta start buying motorcycle sized tools. All my current stuff if for working on mountain bikes. Pretty small and easy to snap when your trying to crack a tough nut on a motorcycle. Thanks for the feedback.

Dom

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I loves me some Harbor Freight, but do NOT use their t-handle hex tools on your bike. That stuff is seriously weak and poorly made.

On the other hand, their hex bit socket sets seem damn near indestructible. They have an impact set that's amazing -- I've abused that stuff over and over with a monster air impact with no problems whatsoever. Plus, it is one of the few sets anywhere that includes a 19mm for the Vee front axle.

HF is definitely a mixed bag...

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'll check mine in about 1/2 an hour on my way out the door. The product referenced above is called PB Blaster, and is the real deal, but you probably dont need it for new fasteners, thats the factory antisieze fighting you. I have a set of nice Crafstman T handles I use a lot, but I normally break unmolested bolts free with a set of hex tip sockets, Kobalt brand, from Lowes. Only six in the set, but they are great.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yep, verified 6MM on the hex. Not a super tight fit with mine, but certain enough to do the job, seeing as it's what I used for most of my Krauser side case install.

Shop Kobalt 6-Piece 3/8" Drive Metric Hex Bit Socket Set at Lowes.com

Kobalt hex set.

Craftsman 7 pc. Metric T-Through Handle Ball End Hex Key Set Reviews - Craftsman Community

Craftsman T-handle hex set. Ball end gives you more flexibility on angle, but you lose some strength. Usually break the fasteners free with the socket, then use the T- to spin them out.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the links. Ill probably end up buying that socket hex set from harbor freight. It would be good to have the 19mm hex anyways. I picked up some pb blaster and that seemed to do the job. I rode though a florida road after hurricane irene and I think most of the bolts on that side of the bike got siezed up with salt water gunk. Also as it turned out I had the 6mm socket hex the entire time! I forgot that I had bought on for taking the calipers off my klr. Oh well, live and learn right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts