StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put over 1000 miles on bike since buying it two weeks ago, and I absolutely love it. The stock seat is pretty good, but I have Identified it as the next thing in need to replacement.
I like to ride long rides and don't mind putting 500 miles a day in, and after a few hours i get uncomfortable on the current seat.

Everything I have heard on this forum says the the Russell Day Long Seat is the way to go for the Strom, but nobody says which one they use.
The list I see is here:
Custom Motorcycle Seats and Touring Saddles - "Day-Long" Touring Saddles and Motorcycle Seats by Russell Cycle Products

Which seat do you use? Why?

I am still open to the idea of other seats, so all Suggestions are welcome.
Have you made any other ergonomic improvements that have helped your comfort in the saddle?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
389 Posts
In my opinion, it really comes down as to what you prefer in color, pattern, and leather or vinyl. Other wise all RDL seats are going to be about the same, assuming that they were made for you.

If you only ride 500 miles days and/or take lots of extended breaks, you could probably get by with a Sargent or Corbin seat.

If you do a lot of 600+ days with few and short stops, especially running slab, I would suggest the RDL.

I have run numerous 14-18 hour days with the RDL and the seat has never been an issue. You can do long days on just about any seat, it is just a matter of how much comfort or discomfort that you want.

If you have never ridden on a RDL, they are not a "comfy" seat. You sit on it and it is "OK". 15+ hours later and the seat is still "OK".

·
Registered
22,426 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
I went with the standard vinyl in the rectangle pattern. This decision was mainly driven by cost and looks. I prefer the look of the rectangle pattern compared to the other choices, and I didn't want the extra maintenance associated with leather. The seat is nice. I no longer experience any pain in my legs/hips with the additional support offered by the "wings". You won't be dissapointed with any option you choose.

I'm 6'6" (tall and lanky) so as far as other changes with the ergonomics of the bike:

RDL saddle 2" higher
Raptor bend bars
Rox Risers
peg lowering bracket
Fastway Pegs mounted in low boy position
1" raising links

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I'm thinking about sending mine back for a slight modification (after 3 years) and will have them add the heating option at the same time.

I've got the blocky rectangle pattern in vinyl.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Like the others, I have the rectangular stitch pattern in vinyl. I got it during the group buy last winter. I have 3,000+ miles on it, and agree with RoadDust that it stays consistent during the ride. Have gone up to 9 hour rides with stops every 2-3 hours. One big difference is the seat height goes up enough that I have to slide forward prior to stopping to flat foot at stop (I have a 32" inseam). Happy with the RDL.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,613 Posts
I have owned a few Russell Day Long Seats. It is true that under the cover the seat itself would likely be the same if built for you. There is a big difference in how the cover makes the seat feel. Maybe not the way some would describe it. My opinion based on actual use, not what I think it would be like.

Leather: some think that leather breathes better and therefore is more comfortable. I have found that to be BS, unless you ride around in your underwear. With a good set of protective riding pants the breathing of the seat just doesn't matter. What does matter is that leather can be softer and more pliable and that MAY promote better comfort. The extra care required and appearance degrading over time make leather a questionable choice

Vinyl: Cheaper, lasts longer without showing its age, more waterproof. Is usually "stickier" meaning you don't slide around on it as much. Modern vinyl really holds up well. I still don't think it comforms to the rider quite like leather.

Velour: I have a seat that I made myself for the RT with a velour cover. Absolutey the most comfortable cover of the three. Not because it breathes but because it is so much softer. It comforms to your butt right away and if you move around on the seat it readjusts. Much cooler in the summer. Not because it breathes but because it doesn't start out as hot from the sun and it seems to pull heat away from the seating area.

For a V Strom that sees some dirt roads I think the low maintenance vinyl would be my choice. Highway only I would order the leather seating with vinyl sides. The velour is far ahead in comfort, but dust/dirt gets in it and it takes a long time to dry out when caught in the rain. Sure, you could put a cover on it when in dirty/wet conditions. Sort of defeats the advantages of the velour seat. Just too much to worry about with the velour. Pattern will make a difference. I have owned the half moon which would be my pick for a V Strom. Low maintenance, easy to clean up. The diamond pattern may be the most comfortable but looks like crap. The rectangular pleats look good and are about as comfy as the diamond pattern. I have owned all three. I don't think the pattern will make or break your satisfaction.

·
Registered
25 Posts
New Russel Owner

I just got my RDL seat and after a 2 hour ride I was very pleased with the results (NO MONKEY BUTT). "Roaddust" is right in that you sit on it. It's not as soft as my Gel seat.
I'm having trouble getting used to the fact that when I stop, I have to slide forward a little to be able to touch the ground. I'm 6'1" and have a 31" inseam and this seat scares me. I now realize what some of the shorter riders are experiencing at stop signs. I don't know if this is something you will get used to, or do I lower this bike a little to help me out?

·
Registered
79 Posts
speaking of the RDL...

I just took the wife on a 3.5 hour ride (our longest 2up - she not usually a passenger)

Anyway, my RDL seat feels AWESOME when its just me...but we had issues 2up and I need to know if this is common.

1. the drive seat "wings" are right where her legs go, and she has to put her knees on the outside of them (short girl) and it made her have to sit with legs VERY wide open and hurt the hips after an hour. (the pics dont show how wide the wings are - plus, it looks like her legs would go under the "tips" of them, but they dont...they sit right at the same level as the widest part.

2. I think the givi top case and rack are taking up some room, forcing her forward, and forcing me to not get to sit in my normal riding position.

I was super disappointed in how uncomfortable it was. I have never had an issue when riding solo (sometimes pain behind my shoulder blades, but most likely my slouched position those days)

Any ideas? I am only 1500 miles into this bike, and the RDL seat came on it...so I have nothing to compare to.

We are supposed to be headed to Big Bend (8hrs) in 2 weeks, but now I am concerned. any ideas or suggestions would help alot.

This is the EXACT Russel seat I have http://www.stromtrooper.com/general...omparrison-russel-day-long-sargent-stock.html

Thanks all

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts