StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

Writing to you from Lanquin, Guatemala on the way to Lago Atilan by way of Quetzaltenago. I'm trying to speed up the trip a bit and make Colombia by middle of March. Then aiming for Argentina by November or December this year with hopefully a trip to the Brazilian carnival next Feb.

In any case, I'm looking for a new rear tire for the Strom. Not sure if I'll have much choice in the selection of a rear tire given that it's Guatemala we're talking about. The Shinko 705 rear (6,500 miles) seems to have worn pretty well and behaved well on the road as well as off-roading. I have a Shinko 705 radial front on the bike now which is also handling well.

Questions:
1) Not sure what happens if I switch tire brands/treads from front to rear?
2) Any suggestions on which rear tire to rock? I was thinking about tck-80s but I think I will save that for when I get to South America and aim for doing a lot more off-road. I prefer pavement, but Routa 40 in Argentina is too beautiful to pass up. My thought is trying to get another shinko 705 radial. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well, if you can get another Shinko 705 rear for decent price, that would obviously work. I guess the big question is whats available to you and at what price?

You would be fine really running any of the other popular DS Tires with your front 705; Anakee, Tourance, Distanza, etc.

I don't think I would do a TKC-80 rear unless you had an aggressive front knobby to go with it at the same time. You'd have all that bite out back and maybe not the same amount up front which could catch you in sloppy conditions. Now I have read lots of guys like running the TKC front for good traction up front when needed, but with a less knobby rear for more mileage. The rear sliding around, isn't nearly as bad as losing the front when you aren't expecting it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Darkside..... :jawdrop:

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can you have something shipped to you or do you need to buy it in Guatemala?

Please post what you end up doing. I am planning a trip to Nica someday and was planning to take extra tires with me. If they are available to be bought or shipped, maybe that's unnecessary?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you have something shipped to you or do you need to buy it in Guatemala?

Please post what you end up doing. I am planning a trip to Nica someday and was planning to take extra tires with me. If they are available to be bought or shipped, maybe that's unnecessary?
Highly recommend buying your tires in the local country instead of shipping. As long as you have a few days to wait to arrange a purchase; it seems to be the way to go. I think carrying tires would be a big pain; especially as you can buy them in Guatemala and El Salvador. In fact, El Salvador purports to have cheaper tires than Guatemala (El Salvadoreans told me that there are bunch of people who come down there buy tires).

What I ended up doing was buying a rear tire for $185 ... OUCH! in Guatemala. If only I could buy another Shinko 705 for $85. If I were to do it again, I would have called some places in El Salvador in addition to Guatemala. But in any case, I'm glad I replaced the rear up in Guatemala; as it's been smooth sailing to Panama City. I believe that the 90% of your tire problems occur the last 10% of the tire life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts