StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
want a new rack for the bike, that can hold side panniers. Realised that this is a djungle and that there are very few places were you can really know what you want and need and what will fit.

I HAVE:
a GIVI Maxia 52 liters, carrying 2 helmets, attached to a plate that is mounted as showed on the picture.

I WANT:
a side rack that can carry side panniers, and that still allows me to use the GIVI Maxia top box.

I kind of like the touratech side panniers, mainly because I understand that if the bike falls on the side, the panniers will not be completely cracked and destroyed, but can still be fixed. Plastic ones will probably crash and have to be replaced.

Right now I only have a couple of soft side bags, but want proper panniers in the future. I can propably attach these soft bags to basically any rack.

So, what should I look for? I know that there is a rack that is adapted to the Givi top-box but also has side racks and that will be slimmer than the double thing / adapter that I have now.

Any advice?

My bike is a DL650 K7

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
SW Motech rack. Its a great fit, and can be removed for a very clean look.

Caribou (Pelican) cases bolted to said rack. They are water proof, crash proof and will last for life. This is the best set up IMO...

·
Registered
664 Posts
P/O had put happy trails panniers and rack on my bike, I'm pretty happy with them, though my older version is definitely not removable. The HT panniers are also alu boxes, which falls into the same repairable category as touratech, I think...

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
+1 on Happy Trails. Aluminum boxes like Touratech, but a lot less expensive.

That's what I have and I like them.

·
Registered
664 Posts
HT is also a pretty small company, feels very friendly and quite mom-and-pop when you call up... they've been great whenever I've had a question. They also make the most ungodly huge topcase on earth, which I'm coveting at the moment :)

·
Administrator
13,678 Posts
I would go with the SW Motech racks.

You can get adapters that fit most side cases. For mine I use Givi (E41) and have had the bike fall on them a few times with no issues. The racks are tough and the nicest thing is that they are removeable in seconds and what is left behind is virtually invisible. (I really have grown to dislike side cases on my bike but wil nto hesitate to put them on if needed.)

..Tom

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just bought an o4 that came with qwik release hepco becker racks but no panniers. They look and feel very sturdy. They are not symetrical as you look from the back, to accomodate the muffler. This looks kinda stupid, plus I wonder how this will effect the balance of equal sized panniers. Hep/bec makes panniers different sizes to counteract this problem, equally as questionable to me. The panniers are also expensive. I may acctually remove and sell them because of this..I think pelicans are probably the best bang for the buck from what i've researched.. If anyone has any advice Id appreciate it as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
HT is also a pretty small company, feels very friendly and quite mom-and-pop when you call up... they've been great whenever I've had a question. They also make the most ungodly huge topcase on earth, which I'm coveting at the moment :)
It's the same when you walk through the front door. It's really not a mom & pop, but the employees really do like it there...and it shows.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Do these racks make my butt look big?

I would go with the SW Motech racks.
The only problem with them is they make the bike+luggage several inches wider than other choices. I don't know whose racks/luggage are on the new DL650 Adventure model, but that setup makes the bike 3 inches shy of four feet wide. My car's only a "hand" wider than 5 feet!

My Caribou/Pelicans are 36 inches and I still tend to hit things when turning around in my driveway, like my 65 inch wide car. :green_lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SW Motech rack. Its a great fit, and can be removed for a very clean look.

Caribou (Pelican) cases bolted to said rack. They are water proof, crash proof and will last for life. This is the best set up IMO...
OK, many thanks guys, that's been a great help. I will go for the SW Motech racks and then I will consider what to chose for panniers. Maybe the Caribou Pelican things will be my choice, they seem quite tough.

Now then, why the h-ll is there no website that does a pricerunner but for motorcycle parts?

I live in France right now, and shipping from US is almost always out of the question, SW Motech does not sell themselves to France, so I mostly end up with UK Websites when I order stuff. But it is a mess trying to find the products and to compare prices is a nightmare.

Anyone have any ideas for good UK webshops?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
If you're in France, check out the luggage made by forum member El Camino in the Luggage Pictures thread around age 57 and earlier. They look pretty nice and shipping would be less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts