StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have loved the look and feel of these bikes ever since I sat on a 1000 in 03. I have spent alot more time off-road than on,to me the strom feels like a big dirt bike(a positive to me). Currently riding a 2000 vl1500 suzuki cruiser(also a 04 yz250 and a drz400),nice bike,but its just too hopeless at turning and stopping,plus its mistaken for a harley occasionally. So,going to sell or trade the 1500 and one or both of the dirt bikes to get a strom. I think I already know the answer to this question,but I just thought I might get some opinions. I am 6' 275lbs,the wife is 5' 110lbs, 200 mile trips in the appalachains is the plan.Bikes in the past have been a 1200 bandit and an fz1 I found the power to be absolutely entertaining,but the ergonomics didnt fit two up riding(for us). thanks for any input

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
If you want to do much off road don't go with the Vee. I have the Vee and it is not the best off road vehicle. If I was in your shoes I would keep my preferred off road bike and buy the Vee for two up riding. I love mine but I don't like it much off road. Fortunately for me I don't need the dirt option.

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
Your perfect for a wee!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don't buy a 'Strom to replace a dirt bike. Buy it because it's an incredibly competent street bike that doesn't totally lose its composure doing some light gravel road duty.

The DL650 has 63 horsepower (as measured at the rear wheel), so even two-up it's enough to get you down the road at a reasonable pace. The DL1000 has 90+ horsepower so will do with even more gusto. They have the same frame, just different engine, so seating position and such are all the same (well, the DL650 comes with a lower seat than the DL1000, but you can swap them out). MPG for the DL650 averages 50-60mpg, MPG for the DL1000 averages 40-50MPG. The DL650 is available with ABS (well, once the 09's hit the floors, the '08 ABS models are already all sold out), which will keep you from going down when the roads are slick and wet and you put on your brakes. The DL1000 isn't.

So pick your poison...

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Very difficult question. Here is my take on the two.

If you do a lot of 2 up on the highway, the V wins big time.

If you do some 2 up, twisties, city, commuting, and a little dirt, the Wee wins, but not by a lot.

Dont mistake the DL for a dirt bike. Its a street bike that CAN do off roading. I know a few members here have busted some trails, but they also have quite a bit of skills to do that. A dedicated dirt bike will always be a better choice. The DL is simply too big, heavy, and too much plastic to replace for WHEN (not IF) you go down.

Ultimately, its best to go sit on them both, and see what feels good. Both bikes a great no matter what!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts