StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to modify the front suspension on my '07 DL1000 (34,000 mi). I would like to upgrade the springs (Sonic)- and add a RichlandRick fork brace. However, I cannot do both at the same time ($). So I am wondering, which should I do first? Or does it matter?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
It doesn't really matter.

Are your seals leaking? Your front suspension, generally, working correctly?

If your seals are not leaking and your front suspension is generally working correctly, then go with the brace first--it will help.
You'll have to remove it when you do the springs, etc. but four fasteners hold it together, so not a big deal to remove.

Then when you do the rest of the front end, you'll have it all together!

If your seals are leaking, etc. then do the front end work first==> the brace.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Why do you need to remove the brace to change springs??.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
323 Posts
fork oil change

Don`t need to remove forks to change Oils ... remove spring, remove lower dampner rod bolt,remove dampner and top out spring ,collect oil and rinse forks out ,pumping lower leg helps with cleaning process clean all parts well and re-install... in reverse order ... dont forget to measure fork oil level with lower leg pushed up and no spring in forks .. Bobs yor Unk... :thumbup:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no evidence of leaking. Being a large guy, I'm trying to show some mercy to my suspension (not to mention a hope to improve it's handling).

Thx

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Don`t need to remove forks to change Oils ... remove spring, remove lower dampner rod bolt,remove dampner and top out spring ,collect oil and rinse forks out ,pumping lower leg helps with cleaning process clean all parts well and re-install... in reverse order ... dont forget to measure fork oil level with lower leg pushed up and no spring in forks .. Bobs yor Unk... :thumbup:
Alpster87, either you forgot a MAJOR step, or, you have never done the job that you state above.

Your profile says that you own a 2007 DL-650. I also own a 2007 DL-650 which I know VERY intimately. The axle to the front wheel blocks access to the damper rod bolts. The damper rod bolts CAN'T be removed unless the axle bolt, (and front wheel), are removed too.

B.L.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
There is no evidence of leaking. Being a large guy, I'm trying to show some mercy to my suspension (not to mention a hope to improve it's handling).

Thx
Springs and fork oil first for you. Also put on your list to respring the rear to match your loaded riding weight, or better yet, get an aftermarket shock or a Sasquatch modification for much better damping. Flushing the crud out of your forks and new oil will be a help.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Springs and fork oil first for you. Also put on your list to respring the rear to match your loaded riding weight, or better yet, get an aftermarket shock or a Sasquatch modification for much better damping. Flushing the crud out of your forks and new oil will be a help.
Agreed on all points. Get the springs to get the fork working reasonably well. The brace is just the cherry on top -- the springs are what's important.

Unless you're a particularly anemic elf, the squishy stock springs are downright dangerous, especially if you need to stop quickly and safely sometime.

If you're over 150 pounds, save up some more pennies and get the rear shock upgraded pronto, ASAP and PDQ.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Is there a reason that people here use Sonic springs over Progressive brand springs? I have always used Progressive's and have been very happy with them.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Is there a reason that people here use Sonic springs over Progressive brand springs? I have always used Progressive's and have been very happy with them.
Rich Desmond is a member on this forum. Rich is also the owner of Sonic Springs. And, he is also one heck of a nice guy, and his business gives excellent service. The fine reputations of both Rich, the service of his company, and the products it sells, has trickled its way throughout this community.

Sonic Springs are linear wound springs. Like many others, I believe that a linear wound spring will give better performance then a progressively wound spring. Here is a good article off of Rich's website on the matter.

SonicSprings.com

The above being said........ I have switched back from my Sonic .90 weight springs to the OEM springs, (I think tmcgee has my .90 springs. I gave them to him to let him try them.). I wanted a lighter weight spring then the .90. At the time that I made the switch back to the OEM springs, I couldn't afford a lighter set from Rich. And, as time has gone on.........the topic has slid down my list of things to do!

So....... Rich, if you read this, do you have a weighted spring that closely matches the stock, (I think .75, right?), spring on the DL-650? If you do, let me know so that I can purchase a set.

B.L.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bwringer: 150 pounds? Damn! The last time I was 150 pounds was ... hmmm... maybe 1978. I've sent a message to Sasquatch and also plan on ordering Sonics.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I weigh about 260 right now. I do think I see some Sonic Springs in my future for sure. I do know what putting good suspension on a bike can do for it. My old Honda Pacific Coast was sloppy until I put Progressives on the front and Hagon's on the back. The thing was set up for my weight and it road like it was on rails after that. Couldn't believe the difference.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I'm about twenty stone, and I've got Sonic straight-rate fork springs in all my bikes.

The thing about straight-rate springs is that they're available in a variety of spring rates, so you can get springs that are best suited for your weight and riding style. If you're one of The Large, straight-rate springs are essential.

You could say the same for very lightweight riders as well -- straight rate springs give you the ability to choose the most appropriate spring rate.

Progressive springs are sold with "universal" spring rates and are thus best suited for humanoids closer to the average in velocity and displacement. If you're one of The Medium, there are arguments either way -- progressive springs have some benefits, but straight-rate springs do too. In general, an average person would be a bit more comfy on the street with progressive fork springs, whereas a very fast rider would want the greater predictability of straight-rate springs. At that point, it's a matter of taste, really.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts