StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've just come to a Wee Strom from a CBR600F. I'm mostly enjoying it, and the first few hundred miles have been fun, if a little motorway based.

The only gripe I have so far (besides my short legs) is the helmet noise that I've had since moving to this bike. I've tried the screen in all 3 positions so far, and none have made a difference.

I've looked around and it seems like MRA Vario Touring screens are well regarded for fixing this issue - is this correct? Will it really cut down on the amount of helmet noise, or is it more for dealing with buffeting and turbulence ?

Also, if I do decide to go with the Vario Touring, what size do I need ? I'm 5'9" tall, and I often ride with a pillion.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome to the V-Strom, and welcome to the air flow issues. This seems to be one of the biggest gripes anyone has with the design.

I have not tried an aftermarket windshield yet (I probably will when the weather cools off in a few months) but I have installed a Madstad adjustable bracket, which has made a world of difference. It significantly reduced buffeting in the highest position, and I'm really enjoying the extra airflow in the lowest position during the 95-100 degree rides lately. When the buffeting went away my helmet noise decreased as well.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Hi,

I cured the buffeting (most of it) and got rid of the wind noise (most of it) by mounting my stock windshield one notch higher than it was designed to go.
I'm using both screws in the bottom holes of the windshield bracket, and both of those go in the top two hole son the bike.

That puts the windshield at just the right height for me. I still ride with earplugs, and I'm still sick and tired at the noise after 6 hours, but there's nothing more I can do with my modular helmet. I have no problems when using my wife's snell approved item.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the V-Strom, and welcome to the air flow issues. This seems to be one of the biggest gripes anyone has with the design.
Hopefully they'll fix that in the new model that's been leaked today :)

I have not tried an aftermarket windshield yet (I probably will when the weather cools off in a few months) but I have installed a Madstad adjustable bracket, which has made a world of difference. It significantly reduced buffeting in the highest position, and I'm really enjoying the extra airflow in the lowest position during the 95-100 degree rides lately. When the buffeting went away my helmet noise decreased as well.
I've just watched that video - the MadStad robobracket looks like a clever bit of kit. It's just a pity it's so expensive to get out here to the UK - it's not far off the same price as the MRA screen :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I cured the buffeting (most of it) and got rid of the wind noise (most of it) by mounting my stock windshield one notch higher than it was designed to go.
I'm using both screws in the bottom holes of the windshield bracket, and both of those go in the top two hole son the bike.

That puts the windshield at just the right height for me. I still ride with earplugs, and I'm still sick and tired at the noise after 6 hours, but there's nothing more I can do with my modular helmet. I have no problems when using my wife's snell approved item.
I've tried all three screen positions, and none of them seem to work for me so far :(

I've got a full face Shoei, and it was whisper quiet on the CBR, which is why I believe that it's an issue with the V-Strom screen.

·
Registered
858 Posts
i've got the MRA vario with the adjustable lip, works great for me!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Correct, they are available in 16" and 20" and I have had both.

I am 6'1" and also have a modified DL1000 seat on my Wee so I sit pretty tall in the saddle, and the 16" that I got was actually almost fine for me on the upper mounting position (not the super-secret double-probationary tippy-top undocumented 4th. position though). I needed like 1" more to get the windstream juuust a little bit more above the top of my helmet, and I probably would have solved that by going back to the stock seat (at the cost of my knees).

However, another member here was asking about these windshields and made an offer to buy mine so I could get the taller 20" one, so I took him up on it. The shorter one still worked so well for me that I was really on the fence about selling, at first. The taller one is now running in the middle mounting position and I'm considering lowering it to the lower position for the summer, which would just about put me right back where I was to begin with! The upper mounting position was too much for even me, and I do not like looking through shields at all.

So for you, I'd say the 16" one is a safe bet. As reference, it's exactly just like the stock screen, same height and width, but the laminar section will sit up about an inch or two above the main section when adjusted all the way up (since the laminar lip itself has variable position settings).

The Stromtrooper who bought my 16" is about your height I think, and a post-purchase follow up revealed he is VERY happy with it, so you should be too.

FWIW I would also recommend getting some of Richland Rick's mirror extenders somewhere down the road, as moving the mirrors out also seemed to take care of some additional buffeting that was coming from them too. Together, you'll be in really great shape.

Only other tip I have for you on this shield is that the smoke version looks pretty dang cool and mine is most definitely not for sale now! ;)

Good luck!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Ditto on the MRA with the little winglet on top. I've got it set at the highest position and this is the best protection I've had on any bike. 5'7" and it's quiet and I don't get hardley not stinking bugs on my visor. I can also ride with the visor up except when it's cold out.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I use the 16" Vario with spacers to move it out a bit from the bike. This allows some air to flow under the screen. The spacers seem to be the poor man version of the Madstad Bracket. I found the spacers help quite a bit, but the Vario screen isn't much different that the stock screen for me.

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Do you know which size you have though ? I believe that it comes as a 16" and a 20"
it is definitally not 20'' so i would have to guess 16''. I have the stock bracket mounted in the top most position.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am riding with the 16" mra vario version and have the spacer trick and I ride with an open face helmet, and at highway speeds its nice. I am six foot tall 32" inseem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Madstad works or at least it did for me

In my opinion a taller screen does not equate to solving a buffeting issue. I have a BMW with an adjustable windscreen so I got to thinking about the angle and how if I find the sweet spot on that one there is little or no buffeting and the vents in the helmet I wear can do their task efficiently.

Now that said, I use the madstad adjustable mounts replacing stock and the MRE windshield with spoiler and I found I could fine tune the windscreen to give me a good unbuffeted slipstream of air on the bike which makes the air flow to my helmet work at it's best.

Problem solved. I am five nine with a 29inch inseam fwiw, and this set up beats the stock set up by a large margin. When I get in a rain storm I just adjust the screen up higher to keep the blast of water off me and not worry about noise at that point.

There are other solutions I've read about but this one while not cheap is very satisfying and worked well with the madstad GPS mount as well. It automatically provided a wat to get the power chord through the body work down into the cowling once I removed the stock windwhield mount.

I will add that one company makes a larger windscreen that uses the stock set up that reportedly coes a good job as well, but I can not testify to that one just the set up I chose. :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts