StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like boots with more crash protection, and I'm looking into motocross boots. I've heard good things about Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex, except that the upper cuff might be too big for a slender pants leg to fit over. About $370 from Germany or The Netherlands via fleabay, or $550 from a vendor here with the right of exchange.

Or the Alpinestars Tech line.

Or....?

Any suggestions of what to buy or what to avoid will be appreciated. I'm about 2 hours away from any shops with much of an inventory, and I don't know of any in the Seattle/Tacoma area with much of this stock, anyway. Maybe Cycle Gear in Tacoma, or Touratech in Seattle, or? I don't mind walking a short way in a stiff boot. I want a boot with crash protection that will also be comfy and shift & brake well. Rain protection is more important that hot weather comfort, and the Alpinestars might not offer any rain protection.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I believe the Sidi Adventure is also available without the Gore-Tex liner for $100 less (uses Sidi's own water liner). I like the Sidi's quite a bit, but having handled them I find them to be more polymer than leather. User complaints about squeaks and other noises seem to confirm the polymer bits rubbing together. You being in a colder climate might find the noise unacceptable.

The Sidi's are definitely on MY list, but the Alpinestars' Toucan and the TCX X-Desert look really good as well. Wish I could find the TCX's here in Phoenix because I have a feeling they're the best pick of the three.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Forma Adventure boots.

The Forma Adventure boots may suit you if you are not really wanting to go to a full motocross boot.

I bought a pair, they leaked- sent them back to the supplier and received a brand new pair- which definitely DON'T leak, I've stood in a fast flowing creek crossing without a drop getting in, the same day I rode in a big storm and got very wet... except for my feet! :jawdrop:

A while back I also crash tested them :yikes: by tumbling along the tar, no problem :thumbup:

Forma Adventure Boots by Atomic Moto

Not sure if I'm allowed to post the above link, if the Mods choose to remove said link then just google "Forma Adventure boots".

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
I'm loving my Sidi Discovery Rain boots ($350). The Sidi quality is very good. Comfortable and dry in any amount of rain. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair of Sidi boots.

Those Sidi Adventures look great.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I like the Wulf and Oxtar brands, they are really good. I do believe the Sidi come up a little smaller. right now I have a pair of StylMartin, that are extremely comfortable that also don't look OTT riding a Wee on the road.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
A better option than full on MX boots is the various hybrids. A few have been noted above, I personally love the Alpinestars Scout. Absolutely awesome boot. Waterproof. Comfortable. Looks great. Super tough. Easy to walk in. Simple on and off. Breathes well so no funk. Fits under pants. Relatively inexpensive compared to other similar options.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Do you want motox or adventure boots? None of those adv boots have hinged ankle systems. They are just a heavy boot. Gaerne sg10 or 12's and Sidi crossfires would be my choice for a full on boot that you can still walk in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mx boots are very stiff and not really great for road riding. You could get some hinged boots but by & large mx boots will be bulky and also difficult to walk in off the bike. I'd look for some Sidi crossfire srs if you want that kind of protection. You can put 3 different soles on them, mx, supermoto & a cleated sole.

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
I have the TCX Infinity boots. They are very comfortable and I have no problems wearing them all day long. They are probably not the best hiking boots but I have walked over a mile in them without any ill affects other than a few stumbles. They do run a little wide and are stiff. Shifting is not as easy as with road boot or something with more ankle flex. I had to adjust the shifter too, to accommodate the boots.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have the Alpinestar Toucan boots. I love these boots. goretex, so they are waterproof. very comfortable and I think they have good protection, but I have not tested that yet.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I'd like boots with more crash protection, and I'm looking into motocross boots.

Any suggestions of what to buy or what to avoid will be appreciated.
I recently spent an afternoon trying on all sorts of Adventure-Tourer motorcycle boots.
Below is a (sanitized for Stromtrooper) excerpt of a review I recently submitted about Adv boots on another web site...
- - - - -
I tried size 12 and 13 (46 & 47?) in the following boots...
SIDI Adventure Rain Boots
SIDI On Road Gore-Tex Boots
Alpinestars Toucan GTX Boots

1.) All the above boots seemed true to size.
2.) All the above boots seemed to be a bit narrow. (I have wide feet so this is understandable in my case)
3.) The SIDI Adventure was simply beautiful to look at. Best appearance by far.
4.) The SIDI On Road boots seemed as if they were the most narrow but also the most likely to break-in to your natural foot shape since they were made of softer leather than the other styles.
5.) I didn't like the typical gaudy Alpinestars styling but after wearing each of the above boots around the store for a while, the Alpinestars Toucan GTX Boots felt the best so I bought them.
6.) The Alpinestars Toucan GTX Boots also seemed to be the widest fit. I bought a size 12. Going up to a size 13 was not necessary, even with my wide feet.

- - - - -
After sale Info:
If you are street commuter and used to a soft leather boot as I am, these monster boots (like all heavy protection) are going to take a while to get used to. Big, clumsy, unruly, and I can't feel my pegs or foot controls on the bike. I may be raising my shift-lever so I can get the toe of these boots under it.
However, I'm happy with Toucan GTX Boots. I'm warm, dry, and protected!
- - - -
And FWIW... Below is a similar review I posted elsewhere...
- - - -
I tried on the SIDI Adventure Rain Boots and the Alpinestars Toucan GTX Boots in the RevZilla Philly store. I spent about an hour wearing, testing, and comparing.
Although I felt the SIDI was more attractive, the Alpinestars Toucan GTX was the better fit for me. (your opinion and fit may vary)
Both products seemed sized correctly however I'd say the Alpinstar was a little roomier in the forward width, so I purchased the size 12 Alpinestars, (typically I'm a 12.5 wide shoe).
Both the above mentioned boots are very high quality and appeared to be in direct competition with each other at this price point, so it's really a matter of personal preference.
Quality control is superb. No missed stitching or blemishes anywhere. The Alpinestars Toucan GTX will not disappoint you!

- - - -
Hope that helps,
-Ej- :cheers2:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info. The Toucan look very interesting, along with a couple of others. Trying for comfort and bash protection at the same time is a challenge.

Keep the good ideas coming.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
One thing to note. On the Sidi boots without hinges they do feel like ski boots for the first month or two (very stiff), but once they soften up you would never know they were boots on your feet. Really comfortable. Can easily be worn all day. The protection is definitely there as well.

·
Registered
278 Posts
A better option than full on MX boots is the various hybrids. A few have been noted above, I personally love the Alpinestars Scout. Absolutely awesome boot. Waterproof. Comfortable. Looks great. Super tough. Easy to walk in. Simple on and off. Breathes well so no funk. Fits under pants. Relatively inexpensive compared to other similar options.

+1 I have a pair and couldn't be happier with them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have worn the Scout boots for a few months now. They are well made and heavy, and also well padded and comfortable. Seem to offer pretty good protection. I like them. Ordered my usual boot size.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Gaerne G-Adventure or Gaerne G-Midland Aquatech.

·
Registered
84 Posts
+2 Alpinestar Scouts

Fit, feel, and performance have been excellent. With this good a boot at the bottom end of the price range why spend more? Great value.

In keeping with the wee strom itself. :biggrinjester:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts