StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm not mistaken it looks like the engine guards for the Strom are around $230.00 and the skid plate is about $200.00-$230.00 (does that sound about right?). That's a total of (approx.) $460.00!!:eek::eek::eek:
Then I heard you could get one of those lower fairings for $450.00, and that's including shipping.

Am I close on those prices or are there other options for suppliers?
I think I paid $260.00 for the engine guards and skid plate for my KLR.
460 seems a little steep considering what you're getting. Are all Strom accessories so pricey?

Of course I realize the fairing offers absoutely zero protection in a fall, but they sure do look perty.:p

-T:)

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Engine Guards run about $145 for the Givi up to about $180 for the Hepco Becker (search around and you can find them at this price). Add about $15 for shipping unless you can get a free shipping deal. Pat Walsh has a skid plate/crashbar combo for $250 (http://www.patwalshdesigns.com/guard.html). Don't know about skid plates that will work with the first two I mentioned. I am leaning towards the Givis now since I don't plan on doing an rock riding on my Strom, just some light trail/fire road use at most. Pat also has a radar shelf for the Strom that I plan on getting.

As far as the plastic fairing, I don't see it providing any real protection, just looks. The fairing just makes it look like a sport bike, and would probably be shredded in a wreck, and won't protect the underbelly from a hard hit. Also I don't think they stick out at all on the side like a crash bar so you won't have any protection if you drop the bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
www.happy-trail.com has the givis for I think 137.00 they give the best protection and you can get a skid plate from Dan Vessel I think for 85. this is a good set up, the Givis give the most protection. I have heard lots of bad comments on the Pat Walsh.. I have low sided my strom twice and have had no problems with the GiVis. The protected the bike completly except for a rashed hand guard and a rashed passenger peg..
givi's all the way!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That Patwalsh link is not working the GIVI's are more like $162 - $186. Not sure what the diference is besides what they look like.

Thanks for the ideas.

-T

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Had zero problems getting my Givi bars, just went to the local Yamaha dealer and ordered them. Paid a bit more but I like to support local business. Had issues with the install but that is in the past now.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I meant to ask about the install..... How much plastic do you need to remove to get them on? It looks like the upper mount hides behind a black plastic piece.

btw... My bike's a 2005 Wee.

-T

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I meant to ask about the install..... How much plastic do you need to remove to get them on? It looks like the upper mount hides behind a black plastic piece.

-T
Fill out your profile so we know which bike you're riding.

I don't remember removing any plastic to install the Givi bars on my V.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just put on the givi I removed the small black trim under the tank only 1 bolt to remove it but you probably dont have to very easy to install except for the stock engine bolts that are green locktighted. I had to use an allen wrench and all my musscle to break them loose (very tight on there) It seemed like the tip for my socket wrench was twisting thats why I used a regular allen wrench. I got mine on a sat for a grand total of $146 only took 4 days. It had free shipping also. http://sporttour.com/

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
FWIW, fairings run about $180 per side. The nosepiece runs more than that. Not sure about the little grey plastic trim that covers up the bottom of the cowling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, I can find the Giva Engine Gaurd bars all over the place but what about the highway pegs that can go on them. Are they comfortable to change up position on a long trip?

J

·
Registered
8 Posts
Strom fairings

I hear you guys talking about fairings, I would like to see what they look like and where you can get them...anyone? I have an 06 red Wee. Thanks

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
The fairings I was talking about are the stock fairings, that cover from the side of the tank to the headlights. Local Suz dealer quoted me $180 and change for one, that's more than I paid for my crash bars. There are also lower fairings, not many people have them but if you do a search for 'lower fairing' or some such you should find something. I think they usually run about $400. There are two designs available, I'm partial to the one from Twistedthrottle. But I think the crashbar/skid plate combo looks a lot better. Tougher, more aggressive, and more practical. That's just my opinion, though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Everything I found showed that H&B engine guards offer superior protection to Givi but YMMV. They were easy to install and look sharp.

No engine guard or frame sliders will work with the lowers to my knowledge. Also the lowers only provide a look, they don't even direct wind around you. I personally don't see the point in them unless you're trying to make the strom look more like a sports touring bike. They do look sharp though, I'll give them that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts