StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I have always believed the YUASA has good quality

I like the ones shipped with the acid separate at least you know
that they are new when you get them.

This may be VooDoo but always recommended at to trickle charge ( 1 to 2 AMPs) them to full power before they go in the vehicle

You can now buy rechargable Lithium Ion types for about 170 that have advantages but so far not proven in real world yet.

Bike Bandit has a description with each type

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
I replaced my FJR battery with the Motobat per the battery comparison in the Intruder alert cafe comparison. IntruderAlert Cafe

First battery I have ever had that still started the bike after accidentally leaving the key turned on and lights, radar detector and GPS on for over an hour. Maybe I was lucky. But it sold me.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The Cycle Gear MegaBoost battery has a lifetime warranty--worth considering if you'll keep your bike many years.

Walmart batteries are OK and probably the best buy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Shorai lion battery doesn`t discharge over time and you save 7-8 lbs. I also have one in a very hard to start KTM 525 that was a consistent eater of lead acid batteries.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Motobatt rocks. :thumbup:

Plus, they're yellow and cool looking and have extra terminals.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I should also say that my OEM Yuasa performed admirably giving five years of service and never leaving me stranded. It even died rather gracefully. I detected a few weak starts last winter and in the spring took it in for a load test. I was told it passed, but only marginally.

So, I decided I could the better part of another year out of it (until the next winter), and so I did. I started detecting weak starts again and started putting in on a tender as I ride the scooter during the week. On a longer trip, the Wee start running roughly at idle speeds which I finally surmised was due to the weak batter not being able to handle the charge at low RPMs. So, I replace it with the MotoBatt and that problem went away.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The Cycle Gear MegaBoost battery has a lifetime warranty--worth considering if you'll keep your bike many years.

Walmart batteries are OK and probably the best buy.
+1 just replaced the original battery in my wifes 97 XX with one of these. Lifetime warranty makes it a no brainer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
battery ?

I've been using the shorai (model 18) for 6 months now, with no issues (no tender, no prob's).

Happy so far. . .

·
Registered
89 Posts
Shorai Battery

+1 For the Shorai battery. I have one in the SV-strom and one in my wifes F650GS which ate it`s origional in 6 mos.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
From LordSmoke's 30 Nov 2011 post :

"On a longer trip, the Wee start running roughly at idle speeds which I finally surmised was due to the weak batter not being able to handle the charge at low RPMs. So, I replace it with the MotoBatt and that problem went away."

I've noticed this "rough / weak running" a couple times lately with my '07 Wee (which I bought used very early this year when it had less than 6,000 miles). Only happens at or near idle speeds. The bike sounds as though it's going to die (never has) and doesn't respond well to throttle application for a few seconds. The bike has less than 12,000 miles on it and runs super otherwise. Of course I'm beginning to wonder about the battery.

Questions :

1. Has anyone else experienced this and did a battery-replacement fix the problem ?

2. How do I determine if the battery in my Wee is the original one for this bike ? (dates, code numbers, etc)

3. What kind (brand, "model", etc) battery would have been original to these bikes?

Thanks.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Also replaced my old lead acid with the Shorai LFX-18 and am happy so far. With the weight loss and non of that acid corrosion that lead acid batts sometimes cause(was bad on my Wee), I'm pretty happy but still suffer from sticker price shock. One nice touch is the generous supply of shim pads taht come with the Shorai. I have some left over pads that came in handy when making fine tweaks on fitting my new helmet. The batts are expected to last about 10 years under normal use.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Excellent battery replacement

I also ride a Buell Ulysses whch has an excellent oem supplied battery, many lasting 5-6 years as described by rider/owners on a Buell enthusiasts website. So when it came time to replace the battery on my 2007 bike I researched and found the oem battery manufacturer to be East Penn. More googling turned up a local regional distributor for East Penn who put me onto this, an East Penn manufactured battery though marketed/distributed by another company. And this is the same battery recommended for the DL1000.

I have no vested interest in this other than to share what I consider some good information.

Big Crank ETX14 Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com

1 - 20 of 28 Posts