StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into ordering heated grips for my 07 1000. The Suzuki website shows two different models with different prices but they appear the same. Does anyone know what the difference between the two is? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is even more confusing than that. If you order the grips from a dealer you might get 57100-06870. I have these grips and two different dealers told me they are the right ones. I am going try and install them sometime in the next couple of days. I'll relay what I find out when I'm finished.

·
Registered
76 Posts
gripped

An alternative is to buy a kit that fits under a regular grip. I have ordered one for my 650 and the kit was $59 Canadian. This is a huge savings on the suzuki grips. I spoke to a dealer who has a vstrom himself and he said if he had to do it over again he would put the kit on as opposed to the suzuki grips because the kit gives better heat coverage as it is wrapped around the whole grip area. I haven't got my bike yet so I can't vouch for any of this but that is what I have been told.
Cheers
Bill

·
Registered
98 Posts
Has anyone tried Polyheaters. They fit in the handle bars under the hand grips.Seem to have a lot of advantages over the under grip type heaters.
1) no resistor
2) wires hidden in handlebars
3) no need to remove grips to install
4) reasonable price $31 us
I just wonder if they will heat up enough to keep hands warm!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The bars would be a heat sink. I'm dubious. I like my Hotgrips with heat troller so there is no wasted power to a resistor. I don't need to keep playing with a switch, the grips are a decent size, unlike the stockers, and they are insulated from the bars with a plastic standoff system. Also, unlike the OEMs, they are heated all the way around. Symtecs plus Grip puppies have received good reports too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
should I have heated grips dealer installed?

As I am waiting for my 07' WeeStrom / ABS to arrive I find myself anticipating my 3 or 4 top accessories. As I live in Colorado I think hand/brush guards and heated grips are critical. I was thinking it might be easiest just to request the dealer install the guards from a DL1000 and grip heaters. However, as Suzuki doesn't have a grip heater for the ABS model I will need to install another brand. It doesn't seem I can miss with the Hot Grips.
As an average mechanic, I am nervous about trying to tap into the electrical system. Looking for input on the Hot Grips brand and the difficulty of installation.
Thanks

·
38,048 Posts
They are a factory option for the DL650 and standard on the DL1000 but they are different on the clutch side. The Vee has a hydraulic clutch and the Wee a mechanical one so the two models have different parts. See http://suzukicycles.com/Accessories/detail.aspx?modelId=045710b9-8aab-4f63-aeb5-e545bcd62397&accessoryCategoryId=a4cf57c5-8016-499c-bec7-c7595610d3e4&accessoryId=fc417348-1549-460c-b93b-8bc99a4ba96e for the proper part number. Suzuki doesn't list them for '07 models but they fit fine on my DL650AK7 which is just like yours.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Having tried the oem grips for two winters and the Hot Grips for the past two months, Hot Grips win, hands down -- so to speak.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've installed the Kimpex heaters on three bikes now and like the V-stroms I think it offers the most bang for the buck. Less than 30 bucks + installation odds and ends. Insulate the clutch side of the bars with heat shrink tubing and the heat is very even from side to side. Thanks Suzuki for providing a switched lead for the grips.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Those draw about twice the power of the oem or Hot Grips (both about 35 watts). It could be an issue if you want electric clothing too.
They do draw allot but I don't think you would ever see max setting with them. My new Vee doesn't have heated grips, after humming and hawing on which heated grip to get I've decided to get these first (link) an see if I need heated grips.

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=376&Itemid=130&limit=1&limitstart=1

You can pickup 55watts by switching one of the headlights

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
They do draw allot but I don't think you would ever see max setting with them.
You can say that being in British Columbia? I could have used that much heat on the grips this past winter in New England. The oem grips weren't cutting it below 25 degrees F.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thanks for the input

Well, I was out of the country for a week and my DL650 ABS is here. Not going to wait to order HotGrips/Hand Guards for dealer install. As an average mechanic do you think I should go ahead and self install both? Grips are 1.5 hours at dealer. Not so sure about handguards.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I strongly recommend the Symtec heaters (atv and not motorcycle) over the stock grips covered with grip puppies. Very simple, cheap and efficient.

·
38,048 Posts
Where is the factory lead located?
It's behind the radiator. It's usually on the left of center and taped to the wiring harness. It's wires are black with a white stripe for ground and orange with a green stripe for ignition on hot. A horn lead, part number 36852-06G00, will plug right in if you don't use OEM grips and want to feed another type.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts