StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been through 3 different w/sites & still not sure what to get. I think that an ATV Hi bend is what I want? :confused:
I don't want to have to change cables, stock hand guards need to work, bar end weights, lock to lock, etc.
My first priority is to have less pull back. If they rise a little would be good. I'd also like to be able to cut them down as much as possible, which I know won't be much due to all the switches, etc.

It' a DL650 '07 non-ABS. I am 5' 11" w/32 inseam.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind. I just remembered a googling trick. Add advrider to the end of a search. I found plenty.
Maybe the MSR ATV high steel?

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
I went with Pro Taper SE ATV High Bends and shortened about a half inch on each side. 6' 0" and 32 inseam for street wear, longer for bike wear.

I did not have to modify any cables, but did loosen a few to get a little more slack.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't these require an adapter because of the taper? And the inside diameter is smaller?
It is a very popular bar, the Pro-Taper SE.

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
"Pro Taper" is the manufacturer's name. There is no "taper", at least not on these bars. The "SE" is for "seven/eights", the outside diameter of the bars and that diameter is the full length of the bar. Same as the OEM bars. They will fit just fine with no adapters or shims. They do come with a crossbar and foam padding - I removed the padding so there would be no interference with my Scott's Steering Stabilizer.

The inside diameter is smaller than the OEM bars. About 14mm, I think, maybe less. You will need to modify the bar ends as they will not fit. If memory serves me correctly; I added a smaller nut, a section of 1/4" fuel line, a section of 5/16" fuel line, and a couple of washers. It was worked without any issues.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Never mind. I just remembered a googling trick. Add advrider to the end of a search. I found plenty.
Maybe the MSR ATV high steel?
I just put these bars on my '09 W/ABS. I needed a little longer brake hose and had to reroute the wiring a little. I also left off the bar end weights and have 90% less vibs through the bars. I'd say they are maybe 1" taller and at 6' 1" I can standup now without bending over. I only have a few hundred miles on them so I can't comment on comfort yet. I opted for the steel bars over the aluminum for two reasons: cost and I have Oxford heated grips. Aluminum bars will suck the heat out of the left grip and the Oxford grip fits too snug for any wrapping under it. I was undecided between these and the Raptor bend, but I think I made a good choice.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have the steel MSR ATV highs on my Wee. Had to do a little rerouting of wiring and needed to put longer brake lines on (my chance to go to steel braided lines) to make everything fit properly. The stock brakelines worked but got very tight at full turn. My handguards fit with no problems. I do love the setup though.

One caution: My handlebars hit my windscreen at full lock now. I have a Madstad setup along with his Adventure windscreen. I just make sure that I don't go full lock when turning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts