StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to set off on a long ride up to Nth Qld (Australia) on my new 650DLA. 'anyone advise me on what's a good GPS to get?
Please speak slowly in monosyllables - technical stuff isn't my forte and I've never used a GPS though I once saw my girlfriend doing something with one in her Yaris.
Mucho gracias

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
Smart phone with Co-pilot or some dedicated GPX Apps. - plot your route on Furkot.

You'll need a USB power out whatever you get and will want a 2.1 amp USB socket.
I've just been using the high power pocket size lithium batteries to power the phone out of my tank bag.- they are so useful to carry.

There are lots around but I use the Micro-start XP3

X-mount for the phone

https://www.ja-gps.com.au/RAM-Mounts

Like So

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Any system you go with will take some practice to get the most out of it so be prepared to learn some stuff.

I love my Zumo 390 with the curvy roads feature it can add another level to a ride.

Torpedo7 have the Tomtom rider at $500 ?, I have never used one but it has the curvy roads feature I love.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I've had and used many GPS units over the years including my phone.
I really like my new Zumo 590LM which is a larger version of the 390 mentioned - it is assuredly ruggedized and constructed expressly for motorcycles.
Automotive units are cheaper but they will eventually fail from exposure and vibration. But, they *are* cheaper than the Zumos if you can find refurbished units.
New I'd say spend the extra for a Zumo since it will outlast the auto units.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Curvy road feature? who Knew.
Unfortunately the less expensive car oriented models don't offer a fun factor like that!
Indeed - and it works as advertised.
The newer models have an "adventure routing" (I think that's what they call it. Similar but more advanced.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
I tried the dedicated phone as a GPS, works pretty darn good but still not overall as good IMHO. It is nice that you can have multiple GPS programs to switch back and forth with, but not being able to use my gloves on the touchscreen is a royal pain in the ass for me, and unless you get a Samsung you won't have a water resistant phone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Garmin Montana 600, with SD card topo maps of the area I plan on riding. I always have my Samsung with backcountry mapper as a back up. Backcountry mapper you can download maps of the area you are riding, so if there isn't a cell signal, you will still have maps. I never had a problem with the Garmin. I have the powered mount.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
You did ask....

I have been using a Garman Nuvi 2555 for the last 3 years now, in a 'Aqua Box' on the bike. Free map updates and no issues so far.
My unit shows / finds a lot of things that the TomTom & others that I ride with don't show.
Also will find GPS off road locations remembering the route you previously traveled to get there & back.
I find it a tremendous value for the money.
If you have the 'pocket' Big B's suggestion is excellent and more bike oriented
I would have bought one of those but did not have the extra $200.oo at the time I purchased mine..:beatnik:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Garmin Montana 600, with SD card topo maps of the area I plan on riding. I always have my Samsung with backcountry mapper as a back up. Backcountry mapper you can download maps of the area you are riding, so if there isn't a cell signal, you will still have maps. I never had a problem with the Garmin. I have the powered mount.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
The Montana is indeed a seriously nice GPS.
I used to use a Magellan Platinum with the street routing software installed. Great for geocaching too.
I just can't abide those itty bitty screens anymore.
One of limits I must concede for spending more time on the planet. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
Smart phones work fine with some gloves and you can add a product to the tip so all work. Smartphone screens are most often higher rez and of course the phones are useful for other things as well.

There are waterproof cases but I just use a Ziplock ...

·
Registered
110 Posts
i had always used a dedicated GPS on my bikes but last week I borrowed my brother's bike for a multi day tour and had to use my phone as a GPS. I was surprised how well it worked, I could even operate it with gloves on by increasing the screen sensitivity. Unfortunately something went wrong with it and my phone no longer works. I won't be using a cell phone for a bike GPS again.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I've been using a Garmin Nuvi 2455 for the past couple years. It's not a motorcycle specific model, just your basic "stick it on the dashboard" type of car GPS. I waterproofed it using the information from a tutorial on Youtube. It's not being manufactured any more by Garmin (as far as I know). They are cheap enough on eBay or Amazon that I actually have two of them that I carry when I go touring, in case one of them dies on me. They aren't going to be as durable as a motorcycle specific GPS, but they are a heck of a lot cheaper (I've seen them on eBay for around 50 bucks).

If you buy a Garmin, look for a feature called Trip Planner. If you create custom routes on something like Tyre to Travel (a free program available on line), the Trip Planner feature allows you to import a custom route from Tyre into your Garmin (or Tom Tom) GPS. This means you can create any sort of meandering, twisty route full of secondary roads, gravel roads, etc, import it into your Garmin, and the Garmin will give you turn by turn directions for that route as you travel. It's pretty cool, and I've used it to plan trips all over the US.

I also have an app called OsmAnd on my Droid Turbo. It's my backup in the unlikely event that both my GPS units go belly up. When I plan a trip, I create a route on Tyre to Travel, and upload it onto both GPS units and also the OsmAnd app. I've used both the standalone GPS and the OsmAnd app, and I prefer a dedicated GPS.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I think the thing that irritated me the worst with auto units is they use that friction ball to hold position.
It just won't stay put on a bike when you hit rough spots.
I used the RAM mount to position it at an angle that would bottom teh GPS out at the right angle.
It looked kinda awkward but it did keep it in one spot.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I think the thing that irritated me the worst with auto units is they use that friction ball to hold position.
It just won't stay put on a bike when you hit rough spots.
I used the RAM mount to position it at an angle that would bottom teh GPS out at the right angle.
It looked kinda awkward but it did keep it in one spot.
I don't trust those car mounts. They just don't seem like they hold the GPS securely enough. I bought a RAM cradle mount that was made specifically for the 2455, and coupled this with a homemade ball mount attached to the accessory rail on my Super Tenere. It's a solid mount; if the GPS comes loose on this one, it probably means that the forks fell off.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
You have to stop mentioning this GPS unit. I foolishly looked them up on line out of curiosity, and now I want one. I already have like 5 GPS units; if I buy one more, I have to join a 12 step program.
Lol I just purchased a factory refurb with full year manufacturers warranty on EBay, went with the very popular and well rated seller/retailer "Gpscity". I got my 390 for $338.95 shipped......I am quite excited to receive it. :smile2:

I still have my LG droid as a backup GPS, will keep it for good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks a lot everyone, that's very helpful. I'll check them all out and choose one of them, then find out how to use it properly (sigh).
Cheers
Tony

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
DO you have a smart phone? That's an easy start point..just download CoPilot and give it a go.

Then fire the computer up and try Furkot....and run away screaming. But it will help you learn. This is an existing trip someone else created..the flags are waypoints.

Furkot is a tough interface but worth understanding ....there are many existing trips - you can import routes and export routes in GPX and other format.

I just plugged in Cairns and Perth start and finish as an example
Does not matter whether you use a stand alone GPS and want to create GPX routes or a SmartPhone a trip planner is useful ....there are others.

If you just want Point to Point ...directions from one town to another ..CoPilot is free and will do what you want and you do not need a cell plan or access to a cell network when you are riding ....don't spend money on a dedicated GPS until you understand a bit more.

TomTom is the go to for me for North America.

It's a one time cost and familar if clunky interface

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/review/tomtom/australia/316049/

1 - 20 of 27 Posts