StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. I'm thinking about riding the MABDR in 2019. I have the GPX file from the website, which is a track. My Nuvi LM2455 can't read a track. I tried a workaround for this that I found on ADV Rider, but I can't make it work. The MABDR track will open on my phone using OsmAnd, but I also like having a dedicated GPS. And nope, I don't care about the great "Phone Vs GPS" debate. I'm just trying to see if there's a GPS out there that I can drag and drop the MABDR file onto it, and it'll read it without a lot of electronic gymnastics. Just looking for some suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
If you don't require a big screen lots (if not all) of the handheld Garmin's can handle tracks. Certainly the 60cx I had did and it and I am sure most of the handheld Garmin's are waterproof. I'm modern handhelds all will as well. (I believe my Garmin 590 and I think my Zumo 660 supposed to be able to do it but I have never tried.)

..Tom

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent, thanks guys. The 60CX is in my price range on eBay. I actually saw a used 390 on there for $1058.00!! That one must have the autopilot that actually steers the bike for you....

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
Excellent, thanks guys. The 60CX is in my price range on eBay. I actually saw a used 390 on there for $1058.00!! That one must have the autopilot that actually steers the bike for you....

Mine was a factory refurb and I got a damn good deal on it, I believe it was like $340 shipped?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
The Zumo 590 (and the newer versions) can do tracks and the normal routing functions. The procedure of displaying the track is similar to the handheld hiking or similar garmins. I use Basecamp (that sucks) to load the track and route data. When loading routes directly from Tyre they don't work properly, don't know why. So I import the Tyre routes into Basecamp and then load to the GPS.

I also got mine as a refurbished model. They are expensive but that reduces the pain a bit. No problems so far.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Zumo 590 (and the newer versions) can do tracks and the normal routing functions. The procedure of displaying the track is similar to the handheld hiking or similar garmins. I use Basecamp (that sucks) to load the track and route data. When loading routes directly from Tyre they don't work properly, don't know why. So I import the Tyre routes into Basecamp and then load to the GPS.

I also got mine as a refurbished model. They are expensive but that reduces the pain a bit. No problems so far.
I've had that same experience trying to use Tyre when the gpx file is a track. The MABDR has over 2200 waypoints, and Tyre can only handle 1000 maximum. When you open the MABDR in Tyre as a track, the route ends in the Jefferson National Forest, about 800 miles short of its actual endpoint.

I actually recreated the entire MABDR as a route so it could be used on any Garmin with the route planner feature. I used the original MABDR track, plus the Butler map of the MABDR, to create a route that can be followed on something like a Nuvi and doesn't have a bazillion waypoints. I still want to have the actual MABDR track file from their website, since they update it if there are any changes to the route.

I'm keeping a list of the GPS units mentioned here, so I can keep track of them on eBay.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was a factory refurb and I got a damn good deal on it, I believe it was like $340 shipped?
As an example of my inherent cheapness, even that sounds like a lot LOL. But, I do know that the ones that do what need them to do are always going to be more expensive than the car based units I'm used to.

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts

Btw the 60CX also can navigate using routes although I suspect the maps are out of date. It doesn't talk but beeps when a turn is coming. I was very happy using it but the small screen became hard to read with my aging vision. It also has a lot of cool features like glideslope that I enjoyed using on my ultralight.

I don't know how many points can be in a track but it shouldn't be an issue for you to break up the track into smaller chunks.

..Tom

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When are you planning on going? Three of us in NC are planning on late May.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Hi Nick, I haven't settled on an exact date yet, since I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to head for South Dakota this summer. Keep me in mind though; I'm probably going to want some help available when I inevitably drop my bike in a water crossing, since I've never actually done one of those and I'll be on a two wheeled tank (a Super Tenere).

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
As an example of my inherent cheapness, even that sounds like a lot LOL. But, I do know that the ones that do what need them to do are always going to be more expensive than the car based units I'm used to.

Sometimes you get exactly what you don't pay for. :wink2:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Nick, I haven't settled on an exact date yet, since I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to head for South Dakota this summer. Keep me in mind though; I'm probably going to want some help available when I inevitably drop my bike in a water crossing, since I've never actually done one of those and I'll be on a two wheeled tank (a Super Tenere).
Will do.

Why not continue using the Nuvi and load the tracks as a map layer like GPSkevin does? It's not difficult.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will do.

Why not continue using the Nuvi and load the tracks as a map layer like GPSkevin does? It's not difficult.

LOL, I tried that method. Downloaded the IMGfromGPX program, reinstalled Java, followed the steps on a tutorial from ADVRider, and still couldn't get the method to work. I don't think Kevin published his method for how he did it, since he's selling SD cards with the map overlay images for $45.00.

I did manage to use Basecamp to convert the MABDR track file from their website to a route file that the Nuvi could read. Now the trouble is that when I exported the file to my Nuvi, the POI's from the MABDR track didn't export along with it. So all those gas stations, food stops, lodging, etc didn't show up on my Nuvi. I've been trying to figure out how to export them using Garmin's POI Loader, and I can't get it to work. I'm going to start a new thread about that, since there are probably guys out there who know Basecamp way better than I do (and honestly, a petunia knows Basecamp better than I do) who might be able to help.

Truthfully, the route I created for the MABDR from scratch looks just like the converted route, plus mine has all the gas stations, campgrounds, etc marked. Now it's just personal; I want to figure out how to make all this work with Basecamp.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, this time I can see the track as an overlay. I almost missed it at first; the yellow was hard to see on my GPS. I don't know why this worked when the gmapsupp image I created previously didn't, but I'll take a win when it appears. Thanks for that link, Nick. Now that I know it works, I'll try the IMGfromGPX program one more time and see if I can recreate your success.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
I still use my 60cx on my Vstrom, as well as when I mountain bike. Best thing about it is that when under tree cover, you still can get satellite coverage - it has a really good antenna.

As for maps, I downloaded various free maps, my fave for Vstromming around is from Ibycus, has all the roads, towns, etc..... This website has all free, or nearly free downloadable maps: https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all

1 - 17 of 17 Posts