StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a K7 Vee with 7k miles and a hand full of farkles, I commute everyday to work and yesterday was my first day riding the bike.(awesome BTW) well when I shifted into 5th I felt a dull area from 3200-4k RPM's:headbang:. SO I rode the rest of the way to work and look on the site and found out the problem, which was fine with me because I like PC3's:hurray: anyway. SO my question is what you think the better fix is going to be.

A. I get a PC3 with Two Bros Exhaust and K&N filter
B. Regear to 16/43 with PC3 and K&N Air Filter and SpeedoHealer

two notes- A. I like loud bikes, they save lives and cagers here in VA suck at driving.
B. I commute 100 miles round trip a day and dont want the Vee to be Screaming around 65-70 MPH

I plan on doing a lot of 2 up 3 day trips to the mountains, gravel and fire roads and the occasional dirt track. I am out to find the adventure, Im not to worried about gas mileage but am worried about the gauges be way off with the new gearing.:yikes: also whatever I do my local dealer is going to do the work.

I want to have fun with this bike, and I have heard nothing but awesome things about the re-gear. so what do yall think?

Thanks a lot
Henderson:thumbup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
So I bought a K7 Vee with 7k miles and a hand full of farkles, I commute everyday to work and yesterday was my first day riding the bike.(awesome BTW) well when I shifted into 5th I felt a dull area from 3200-4k RPM's:headbang:. SO I rode the rest of the way to work and look on the site and found out the problem, which was fine with me because I like PC3's:hurray: anyway. SO my question is what you think the better fix is going to be.

two notes- A. I like loud bikes, they save lives and cagers here in VA suck at driving.
B. I commute 100 miles round trip a day and dont want the Vee to be Screaming around 65-70 MPH

I plan on doing a lot of 2 up 3 day trips to the mountains, gravel and fire roads and the occasional dirt track. I am out to find the adventure, Im not to worried about gas mileage but am worried about the gauges be way off with the new gearing.:yikes: also whatever I do my local dealer is going to do the work.

I want to have fun with this bike, and I have heard nothing but awesome things about the re-gear. so what do yall think?

Thanks a lot
I don't know why anyone would waste their time riding the bike below 4k RPMs. Maybe your previous bike was designed to slog along at low engine speeds but the Vee engine is derived from a race engine and has all its power and smoothness characteristics in the 4k to 7k RPM range. If you drop a gear or two you'll find what the Vee Strom is all about.

Don't worry! You won't hurt your new bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Im not scared, I had the race platform version ( SV1000N) and its awesome. I was just seeing if the speedo healer actually put you back to normal and was it just as good to get exhaust intake and PC

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If you want to get a new exhaust go ahead, but don't use this as an excuse to do it. These bikes don't do well below 3500 rpm, they need a few more revs. I know a guy with a V and I have a Wee. Both bikes both pull pretty good from about 3500-3800 rpm, and actually feel better when kept above 4000.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
don't waste money on a spedo healer. $100 will buy a good GPS that will give you your speed as well as the speed limit.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Once you get the jetting done you'll be happier

In the direction your heading you consider a K&N filter and remove the snorkle
Unfortunately you should service it frequently and its hidden under the tank.

I always laugh at regear, as I just call it 4th gear. Its a 1000 twin head for the twisties in 4th and drive like an automatic.

Once rejetted with pc you should be able to tool along in 6th at 50 saving some gas then you can downshift a couple for power bobw

Mine is naturally smooth at about 4200 rpms but is nice even at 2500 with very low throttle opening

Enjoy

·
Registered
294 Posts
It sounds like 16/43 gearing would be perfect for the OP. I opted for 17/43 and it's ideal for me, but I prefer to rev a bit lower.

I like the results of the speedo healer. I don't always ride with my GPS and it's nice to know the speedo/odo is accurate. It's EASY to be riding 15-20 mph over the limit on these bikes and not even know it.

I also found that 4,200 rpm is a very smooth spot and the 17/43 gearing puts it right at that rpm at 70mph, perfect for me. I also "discovered" (by accident of course) that 5,200 is another very sweet spot....... that happens around 85-90mph....... for what it's worth. :thumbup:

No doubt the PC cleans up the lower rpm a bunch and makes the bike a joy to ride around town at lower revs.

I won't comment on the decibel levels, that's a personal matter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went ahead and bought a 530 chain and 16t front and 43t rear. after riding some fire trails this week I decided i would like the gearing a little bit lower. thanks for the advice

·
Registered
360 Posts

Thanks a lot
Hi Henderson,

Just my 2 cents...but I wouldn't rush to make changes to the bike straight away. Live with it for maybe a month or two. And remember, the 'dull patch' is easily fixed without resorting to a PC3. Tell your dealer to flash your ECU with a Tech or Yosh box adding just a few percent more fuel. Mine was give just 2% extra after TPS & TBS! But then mine was quite smooth anyway, but this was still added to the first one third of throttle opening and made a noticeable difference . It doesn't cost anything like the cost of a PC3 either. Gearing too, remember 6th is OD and just use 5th more, engaging 6th when needed on those long commutes at speed. That's how it's designed to be used. Once you've lived with it for a bit you may change your mind about mods.

Whatever you do, it's your personal preference of course. Either way, you WILL enjoy the bike. They're great machines! Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts