Which bike would you choose?

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all!
Which do you think is the better deal to take here?
I wanted to share the links directly, but it says I can't do that with my first post. I will try to post the links in the comments.

$3,388 2011 26,131 miles. Much fewer upgrades (basically stock)

$3,500
Copy and paste description
Fuel injected with abs brakes Givi xstream 15lt tank bag with quick detach Givi rear trunk v46 monokey system Givi side cases monokey system Crash bars Steering stabilizer Skid plate Upgraded rear shock spring Front forks just rebuilt with new seals New front brake pads Center stand Shinko big block 804 and 805 tires (less than 500 miles) Sargent seat Oxford heated grips Klim handlebar muffs Ram gps mount 12 volt outlet Givi tell windscreen Tourtech kick stand foot Led headlights Battery maintainer plug Fresh oil change I may have left out something.clean title and ready to ride

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the links:

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
What is the year and mileage of bike #2? I'd most certainly go for #2 unless it is a very high miler. Anyone who upgrades a shock and puts a steering damper on is going to be someone who has changed the oil.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If they are 650's for the years and money, neither. If they are 1000's I'd look at the 2004 in NC (listed on this and at least one other site) with less miles and the same money.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If they are 650's for the years and money, neither. If they are 1000's I'd look at the 2004 in NC (listed on this and at least one other site) with less miles and the same money.
Yep - It all depends on whether you're looking specifically for a 650. I picked up a 2012 V1000 last year for about the same price of these 650's. Another factor is whether you're going to resale it in the near future.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Agreed, need more info on what it is your looking at. AND It would be good to put your location in. One in WI and one in VA, that's quite a ways apart.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Strictly comparing those two bikes and believing you have specifically chosen the 650, the 2007 at about the same price and mileage as the 2011 would be the obvious choice. They are quality farkles that would have cost whoever bought and installed them possibly as much as he is selling the bike for (or nearly so).

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree that it depends on the mileage on #2. If it's high mileage I'd go for #1. ... if it's low I'd go for two.
That's a lot of farkles but those are a personal thing and part of the fun of making the bike yours. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the year and mileage of bike #2? I'd most certainly go for #2 unless it is a very high miler. Anyone who upgrades a shock and puts a steering damper on is going to be someone who has changed the oil.
it's a 2007 with 31k miles. Thanks for your choice!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think these are too expensive relative to the current market? I am not finding many better prices and ABS is a deal breaker for me, which these both have. They are both 650's, which is the size I am looking to get. Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Strictly comparing those two bikes and believing you have specifically chosen the 650, the 2007 at about the same price and mileage as the 2011 would be the obvious choice. They are quality farkles that would have cost whoever bought and installed them possibly as much as he is selling the bike for (or nearly so).
Good to know that those upgrades are so valuable. I am heavily favoring the 2007. Thanks for your recommendation!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree that it depends on the mileage on #2. If it's high mileage I'd go for #1. ... if it's low I'd go for two.
That's a lot of farkles but those are a personal thing and part of the fun of making the bike yours. ;)
mileage of the 2007 bike (#2) is 31k. I don't mind that the farkles aren't my own additions, as they appear very helpful. Thanks for your choice!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Do you think these are too expensive relative to the current market? I am not finding many better prices and ABS is a deal breaker for me, which these both have. They are both 650's, which is the size I am looking to get. Thanks for your reply!
It is my opinion that both of these bikes are overpriced at least in the North East. Many people ask these same prices in the area but you see the adds for months on end. You can ask what you want buy the seller sets the price.

Also for the record those who talk about prices for bikes being higher in the spring verses he winter I believe it to be little more than an old wives tale. I have bought/sold between 20 and 30 motorcycles in the last decade year round and have not discounted price in the winter or paid more in the summer. They value is what the values is.

If you are willing to deal with a shipper it is not expensive (around $600 coast to coast) and it opens the market to you. There are plenty of V-Strommer's on this site and there is a good chance they can be you eyes and ears if you find a bike that is not so local to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is my opinion that both of these bikes are overpriced at least in the North East. Many people ask these same prices in the area but you see the adds for months on end. You can ask what you want buy the seller sets the price.

Also for the record those who talk about prices for bikes being higher in the spring verses he winter I believe it to be little more than an old wives tale. I have bought/sold between 20 and 30 motorcycles in the last decade year round and have not discounted price in the winter or paid more in the summer. They value is what the values is.

If you are willing to deal with a shipper it is not expensive (around $600 coast to coast) and it opens the market to you. There are plenty of V-Strommer's on this site and there is a good chance they can be you eyes and ears if you find a bike that is not so local to you.
hmmm never considered shipping before. I suppose finding a vstrom in vegas of equal quality AND $600 dollars cheaper than a more expensive, but equal bike could be a great way to get one. I'll look into that. and oh my gosh, 20 - 30 bikes!!! I have thought that looking to buy in the winter was better, but never with any actual data or price comparisons relating to the seasons.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Offer for the 2007 $3k and see what happens. Low risk because you could sell it for about that in a year or maybe even more if you part out the farkles. 31K miles is no issue as long as it has been maintained. Given the upgrades its very likely its well maintained.
Just make sure it did not sit for a year or two recently for some strange reason (health problems etc. …). The bike has low mileage for that number of years. (mine is a 2014 and has over 45k). Basically try to understand why its for sale now.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I've bought bikes that were 40+ years old with 20,000 miles on them that sat for decades. The avenge rider rides something like 5,000 miles a year. There are a lot of non-average riders out there that bought bikes thought there were going to put endless miles on them then after the 1st year sat. Then the bike is sold to another and another and a decade or so later you end up with a bike with low miles.

There is also a misconception out there that once a bike has about 10,000 miles on it its beat and most of its lifespan is used up. Selling a bike with 30 or 40K on it the amount of potential buyers is drastically decreased.

Then there is the decline of riding in general leaving lots of NOS languishing on showroom floors. Lots of late model used stuff out there flooding the market makes it a buyers market. Then there's the internet that has somewhat leveled the playing field. With the stroke of a couple keys you can search entire countries or geographic area to see what avalaible and what asking prices are.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
This is all well and good. However if it sat for long with a tank not full and in the right climate there may be corrosion in that tank. That's what the OP needs to assure is not the case. Other than that it don't matter how long it sat, I think.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The nicety is FI bikes seem to handle this better than a carbed bike. Normally simply sucking out the old fuel with a $1.99 kerosene pump and adding fresh will do. In extreme cases a fuel filter will need addressed in extremely extreme cases the fuel pump can be effected. Highly doubtful that in 2 years +/-that the extremes would happen.

This is stuff you deal with when these "barn finds" come along and the price is usually reflecting on the bike sitting unattended for long durations and needed repairs and/or components to get it up and properly running. Neither of the two bikes posted in the original post seemed to be this bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts