StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a Vstrom 650 standard 2013.. I am now looking for crash bars. The bars will primarily be used to attach 2 x 15 - 20 litre tank bags. Which bars are deemed more suitable. I note that some bars cause vibration / buzz at 5000 rpm. This is the rev range that I normally cruise at on the open road.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Engine guards / crash bars are a bit personal to each rider, in appearance, height and protection sought. At the end of the day it will depend on your own personal taste and the depth of your pocket. Both Givi and SW-Motech are good in my book and should work well with your crash bar bag choice.
Some say, they have had crash bar vibration issues to which the solution can be found by searching this site. There are also other makes of crash bar, that are also worth looking at. Once again do a search on this site. Good luck, let us know what you ended up with.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I don't have a preference for one brand, I had the Givi on my 09 650 and had no vibration problems.

Your tank bags will dampen the bars and take care of any bad vibes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the Altrider bars which I have been perfectly happy with. I haven't been able to detect any vibration buzzing and spend most of my time at freeway speeds. Although I don't have any experience beyond these bars, I would imagine all the major brands are somewhat equivalent in terms of performance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Outback motortek for mine, no issues at all, dropped at low speed, 40ish k's twice, got a mark on the bars, bike itself was untouched.
Very happy with them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate all of your feedback.Maybe the buzzing is not a big deal after all.

Just a thought - I am looking for crash bars to keep tank bags off the bike. Do I really need them?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have a K2 and just got HEED crash bars and skid plate combo. Very nice and only $300 for the pair. Takes a long time for the to arrive wrom Poland though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a K2 and just got HEED crash bars and skid plate combo. Very nice and only $300 for the pair. Takes a long time for the to arrive wrom Poland though.
Perfect timing for this thread as I was just looking at ordering the HEED crash bars & skid plate combo last night.

Not to derail this thread, but one question for you or anyone who might know before I make a separate thread about it...
I'm trying to figure out if the HEED skid plate will interfere with the SW-Motech center stand I have.
I emailed HEED to ask but they have not tested w/ the SW-Motech stand; they could only say that the SW-Motech should fit with their skid if it's not different from the OEM Suzuki center stand... but I could have sworn I've read other threads a while back saying some ceter stand & skid plate combos don't play nice together (can't remember if that was a Vstrom forum or for some other bike though).

Do you happen to have a SW-Motech center stand on your bike by chance with the HEED skid plate?

If not, does anyone know what compatibility differences I might expect to run into with the SW-Motech center stand vs the Suzuki center stand?

Granted it's a steel skid plate so I could always cut/weld it for clearance if necessary, but I'd rather not have to do so...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sorry OEM center stand. Plus I'm on an 02 DL1000.

·
Registered
38 Posts
.. I had the Givi on my 09 650 and had no vibration problems...
I also settled on the Givi...

.... and have been very happy with them and haven't noticed any vibration issues.

About two days after installing them Dottie and I took the bike up to a local lake on a gravel road. I didn't have the kickstand down when she got off and she swung herself out a little too far and I dropped the bike. We got the bike back up and no damage except for a couple scratches on the bar. I was very happy that we had put the bars on :smile2:.

I have more on the install here .....

http://1fatgmc.com/motorcycle/suzuki-650/Accessories/page-5.html

Sumner

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also settled on the Givi...

.... and have been very happy with them and haven't noticed any vibration issues.

About two days after installing them Dottie and I took the bike up to a local lake on a gravel road. I didn't have the kickstand down when she got off and she swung herself out a little too far and I dropped the bike. We got the bike back up and no damage except for a couple scratches on the bar. I was very happy that we had put the bars on :smile2:.

I have more on the install here .....

http://1fatgmc.com/motorcycle/suzuki-650/Accessories/page-5.html

Sumner
Just ordered the GIVI bars based on this :). Thanks!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I threw my Wee down on a dirt road traveling at about 70kph.

The Givi bar on the right side bent in till it touched the plastics, that did not damage the plastic but the gravel that built up did, as the bike slid along the gravel built up between the bar and the plastics & this caused damage to the plastics.

When I got home I parked the bike between 2 poles and used a ratchet strap to pull the bar back out away from the plastics, that was quite tough, it seemed much easier to bend them in than it was to pull them out. LoL

·
Registered
29 Posts
I threw my Wee down on a dirt road traveling at about 70kph.

The Givi bar on the right side bent in till it touched the plastics, that did not damage the plastic but the gravel that built up did, as the bike slid along the gravel built up between the bar and the plastics & this caused damage to the plastics.

When I got home I parked the bike between 2 poles and used a ratchet strap to pull the bar back out away from the plastics, that was quite tough, it seemed much easier to bend them in than it was to pull them out. LoL
You should post a tutorial on this crash bar repair technique :nerd: . Snag any photos?

·
Registered
21 Posts
You should post a tutorial on this crash bar repair technique :nerd: . Snag any photos?
I used this technique to pull a fender out and away from the tire on a car after an accident. A friend of mine had his truck there, wrapped the cable from a come-along around his rear axle, hooked onto the fender and ratcheted it back out so that I could drive the car home. Basically you hook one end around a relatively immovable object, the other end around the part to be pulled out, and use the tool's mechanical leverage to pull the bent part back out.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Basically strap the frame of the good side of the bike to a solid object like a pole or a good tree, then using a ratchet strap to another pole and a high point on the crash bars for leverage wind on the ratchet until happy with the results.

In a small crash it will be the triangular mounting plates that bend, in a bigger nap at speed like mine the bar will bend in and back towards the rear of the bike.

Reactions: ericcarmichael

·
Registered
347 Posts
I got some scratch and dent SWmotech bars. The are ok. The bars went on the bike easily, and the seem to offer a decent level of protection

1 - 17 of 17 Posts