StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Search was not of much help. Earlier this week, I bought a slightly-used 2012 Wee. It came with the Suzuki lower engine plastic cowling installed. Is this going to interfere with mounting the after-market crash bars? Can anyone recommend a specific brand that will mount with the cowling in place?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,256 Posts
Millcreek, I'll have the answer next week on the SW Motech engine guards. I have them mounted and the factory under cowl on the way. From the pictures I have looked over, it looks like the two will fit without interference. BTW, the 2012 SW Motech bars are completely new for this model. I hope they took into account when designing these the need to fit the factory accessory cowling. I really like the fit and quality, I have a set on the '04 Wee also.

·
5,256 Posts
I had the SW Motech engine guards and had to send them back. They would NOT fit with the OEM under cowling. YMMV
The SW Motech guards for the Pre-2012 Wee will not fit the factory under cowl. They will bolt onto the bike. Maybe you had the early version? I am hoping that is one of the reasons they redesigned the bars for the 2012. It appears there is more room behind the connecting bar on the newer version. At any rate, the under cowl WILL fit with the SW Motech bars on my new Wee, even if I have to break out the plasma cutter and welder! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I thought I had the new version for the 2012 model. I didn't!

Update: Sorry about that! Apparently, the guards they sent me were the old style, as the ones I received wouldn't fit with the under cowling. I see these attach just like the H&B guards I have, not using the large engine bolt like the OEM uses. That was why my OEM guards caused vibration, I believe. So sorry I gave the wrong information!:headbang::headbang:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I cannot find the H&B engine guards on the Adventure Moto site. Where do you buy them?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hepco & Becker will fit with the cowling and won't cause vibrations like the OEM engine guards do.
OEM engine guard does not cuse any vibration in my 2012. Perhaps the guards that cause the vibes were not installed correctly. Just sayin no vibes at all on my bike and should not be a reason to not by the oem guard. However, the oem guard is more money than the Givi and prolly Hepco Becker.

·
Registered
72 Posts
OEM engine guard does not cuse any vibration in my 2012. Perhaps the guards that cause the vibes were not installed correctly. Just sayin no vibes at all on my bike and should not be a reason to not by the oem guard. However, the oem guard is more money than the Givi and prolly Hepco Becker.
They may not have caused vibrations on your bike (and they WERE installed correctly), but they did on many others--see link: http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/74128-crash-bars-vibrations.html Some owners had luck taking them off and re-installing. Some had luck separating the two piece crossbar and adding a "shim" between the two pieces. I had no luck with any of that, and switched to different bars.

For the person who asked, I bought my Hepco & Becker engine guards from Adventure Motostuff. Look under Suzuki, 2012 VSTROM, Body and Windshields, Tank Guards. They were $227.00.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^^ Thanks so much for the recommendation. I just ordered a set of H&B crash bars from Moto Machines. The store in Nevada is out of stock.

·
5,256 Posts
The factory under cowl was on my doorstep this evening. I looked at all the pictures I could find on the SW Motech bars and the factory cowl and decided they should work together.

They are a perfect fit! Nothing touches, not even close. They appear to fit as well with each other as the "factory" engine guards. I personally prefer the looks and quality of the SW Motech bars ( as well as their other components ). I had reservations about buying the cowl, it isn't cheap. But, it is VERY well engineered and really cleans up the look of the forward engine area. I think it will keep a lot of road gunk off the engine also. I do think it would add a good bit of protection from rocks and other debris kicked up by the front wheel. Not a skid plate by any measure but would deflect a pretty substantial rock. At least enough so it did not damage the oil filter.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is great to know. So now there are the Suzuki OEM bars, the Hepco & Becker and the SW Motech that we know for a fact work with the OEM undercowl.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The factory under cowl was on my doorstep this evening. I looked at all the pictures I could find on the SW Motech bars and the factory cowl and decided they should work together.

They are a perfect fit! Nothing touches, not even close. They appear to fit as well with each other as the "factory" engine guards. I personally prefer the looks and quality of the SW Motech bars ( as well as their other components ). I had reservations about buying the cowl, it isn't cheap. But, it is VERY well engineered and really cleans up the look of the forward engine area. I think it will keep a lot of road gunk off the engine also. I do think it would add a good bit of protection from rocks and other debris kicked up by the front wheel. Not a skid plate by any measure but would deflect a pretty substantial rock. At least enough so it did not damage the oil filter.

Kind of off subject, but that fender extender in your pics fits like crap. Is that the Pyramid for the 2012? Or something else? If so, maybe I won't be buying one. The rest looks great.

·
5,256 Posts
That fenda-extender is......repurposed. Of course that is the new word for parts taken off another bike by a cheap bastard! That is for the previous generation V Strom fender. Yes, it looks like crap in the picture. But, you really don't notice it in everyday use and I am one to believe in function is beauty. Did I mention I am cheap!

Those things keep a LOT of crap off the bike.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That fenda-extender is......repurposed. Of course that is the new word for parts taken off another bike by a cheap bastard! That is for the previous generation V Strom fender. Yes, it looks like crap in the picture. But, you really don't notice it in everyday use and I am one to believe in function is beauty. Did I mention I am cheap!

Those things keep a LOT of crap off the bike.
I figured maybe. I don't have one from an old bike laying around and am planning on buying one. Is the 2012 version available anywhere yet? I have yet to see one. Thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Twisted Throttle has one for the Glee.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So my HB crash bars just arrived via the big brown truck and I just installed them. The cross bar comes no where near the OEM undercowling, so there are no clearance problems. A nice unit, and some of the bar mounting bolts were a bit of a bear to torque in, even with coating the bolts with anti-seize. My breaker bar and 3/8" socket long 6 mm hex key came to the rescue, though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Givi crash bars & Suzuki under cowling

I've seen in a couple of places that the Givi crash bars and Suzuki under cowling are NOT compatible. Does anyone know what the problem is? Would it work with a little trimming of the cowling or is it completely impossible?

Thanks for any help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts