StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I am asking the collective brains trust here for a little help. My 2011 wee has 115,000 kns on it, and just had the battery and stator replaced.

Now the headlights and instument cluster are sometimes not turning on when I first turn the bike on. It starts fine, and a couple of twists of the throttle and everything leaps to life. Except the clock always resets.

I am assuming I should be looking for a loose or soiled plug sonewhere. Does anyone know if a single connector will take out headlights and dash, but leave it running?
Cheers

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
You are most likely looking at the big connector on the left hand side, seated on the bike and looking down inside the side panel below the left mirror. There are two other connectors above the radiator as well that also cause problems. Have a look at the pix in reply #22 of Electric Glitches / Dash Panel. Do take time to read the complete thread if you have the time.
Let us know when and what you find. Maybe snap a pix.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Does anyone know if a single connector will take out headlights and dash, but leave it running?
The starter button not fully disengaging will do that to lights. Can't speak to the clock resetting.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are most likely looking at the big connector on the left hand side, seated on the bike and looking down inside the side panel below the left mirror. There are two other connectors above the radiator as well that also cause problems. Have a look at the pix in reply #22 of Electric Glitches / Dash Panel. Do take time to read the complete thread if you have the time.
Let us know when and what you find. Maybe snap a pix.
Thanks. The other thread made interesting reading. I lost my headlights a while back and did a relay wiring of them, and no issues for a long time. I suspect a dud connection. I will pull it open this weekend and have a look for dud connections.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had to clean both the large plug going to the instrument panel/lights and the smaller yellow plug behind the radiator on the left going up to the handlebar switch.

I had a similar series of events as the OP: first sign was a bad charging system, then headlights stopped working intermittently. I installed a Eastern Beaver relay kit per recommendations here. (Also the upgraded regulator/rectifier when I fixed the charging system.)

Finally got around to fixing the system this week so I can use the proper control switches.

The pin for the high beam got hot enough to discolor the plastic, but I was able to work the pins out, scrape off the oxidation, work back the spring and get a reliable contact again.

MVIMG_20200723_155746.jpg
MVIMG_20200723_124247.jpg
MVIMG_20200723_124440.jpg
MVIMG_20200723_124501.jpg
[Edit: added clarifications]

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had the same problem many years ago on my first 650..an 04 model. The large ground connector was totally fried so I hadta take the ground wires out of the housings & put on separate spade connectors. Problem solved

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm really curious what could be causing these connectors to fry. In my case I used to suspect that the previous owner had tied his grip heater mod into the headlight line, but I've now ruled that out.

The connectors don't seem loose enough to arc or even let moisture cause problems, and it seems unlikely that two different connections in the same path would have that problem, but I guess they are carrying significant amps... Just hoping it won't happen again now that I have the relay in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts