StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a headlight cutout switch as part of a relay kit from Eastern Beaver. (Fantastically well done craftsmanship and fast shipping!)

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about which headlight to cut out? The kit can be wired for left or right beam cut out, and I cannot see an advantage one way or the other. Figure either it doesn't matter, or I am not looking at it in the right light. (OK, not a good pun, but best I can do this late.)

Suggestions, opinions, and reasons appreciated.

Galen

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My wifes Ninja has the right beam lighted up on low beam and both lighted on high beam. So I would cut the left beam so as not to argue with her about which is the correct one to light.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I cut the right beam on mine. My thinking was that the left is closer to the center of the road and should be a bit more visible to oncoming traffic. YMMV

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
I'm installing a headlight cutout switch as part of a relay kit from Eastern Beaver. (Fantastically well done craftsmanship and fast shipping!)

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about which headlight to cut out? The kit can be wired for left or right beam cut out, and I cannot see an advantage one way or the other. Figure either it doesn't matter, or I am not looking at it in the right light. (OK, not a good pun, but best I can do this late.)

Suggestions, opinions, and reasons appreciated.

Galen
Not trying to hijack the thread but why do you install one of these?

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread but why do you install one of these?
Wee's do not have much spare power available from the alternator (the 2009's are way better than the earlier models though) so if you want to install extra electrical devices like driving lights or heated clothing one way to reclaim power is to turn one of the headlights off when not required. From memory a K7 Wee has about 125 watts spare in standard trim.

If I were doing it I would always turn the curb side light off.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I cut the right beam on mine. My thinking was that the left is closer to the center of the road and should be a bit more visible to oncoming traffic. YMMV
I used this same logic when installing mine. However, I don't think
it really matters which one you select.

·
Registered
831 Posts
My view is the mirror image of yours. I cut the left (low) beam on my bike. My thinking was the the right beam is closer to the side of the road, where bipeds and quadrapeds come from. That's the side of the road that I want lit better. Oncoming traffic can still see me; otherwise, how'd I last all these years on a DR with it's single headlamp of lukewarm performance?

Also, as foggy mornings are now upon us (at least they are around here), I'm probably going to replace the left beam with a yellow H4 bulb. Having the cut switch installed will allow me to toggle this de facto fog lamp on and off as visibility conditions -- and the presence of LEOs -- require.

Irrespective of the aforementioned, I still have both high beams available when I need to light the road, or people, up.

TM

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
Wee's do not have much spare power available from the alternator (the 2009's are way better than the earlier models though) so if you want to install extra electrical devices like driving lights or heated clothing one way to reclaim power is to turn one of the headlights off when not required. From memory a K7 Wee has about 125 watts spare in standard trim.

If I were doing it I would always turn the curb side light off.
Totally understand now. Thanks, makes sense to me.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I cut the right light (from the rider's position) off because it was easier to access. I had previously installed the servo for the Rostra CC under the left hand side plastic and that area was a bit jammed with extra wires, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts