StromTrooper banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've read the myriad threads on bar swaps, but it's not clear to me how the resulting position of the various aftermarket bars compares to the stock position, exactly. I really like the position of the OEM bars, but my wrists can't stand the pullback, so I'm looking for a set of bars that offer less pullback but put the ergos in the same position as stock (or pretty close).

From what I understand, the Protaper ATV High's have less sweep than the OEM bars, but result in an ergo position that's 1" up and 1" back from stock. It's not clear to me what the resulting position of the Mids is, given that they're 1/2" shorter, and have 1" less pullback. Are the Mids close to OEM, or do they end up putting the ergos further forward than stock? If I had to compromise at all, I'd rather come up and back a little vs coming forward at all. I'd also like to avoid using risers, since I plan to go with a Scotts damper at some point in the future.

Thanks,
John

· Registered
77 Posts
I put the highs on my 650 ABS. They are really close to stock except for the furthest outward bend (which is less) and the fact that they are 3-4 inches wider. So to try to explain, the mirrors are in the same place but the bar ends are an inch or so higher. How far back depends on where you clamp them. I have mine as far forward as possible without hand guard/faring contact at full lock.
If you make 2 fists and put your hand out in front of you with elbows bent, then rotate at the elbows until the knuckle of your little finger in about an inch below the knuckle of your index finger. Thats the stock bars.
Now rotate again until your knuckles are level. Thats the ATV high.

There is only a bar width difference between the the mid and the high.

The high's will fit with ABS if you remove the brake line from the support on the triple clamp. The bar ends will need to be modified by grinding the nut and washer and replacing rubber parts with 5/16 fuel line. (not that tough)

· Registered
1,262 Posts
I have MSR ATV Hi bars. Choose them because they were about half the price I was seeing for Protapers and they have the same inside diameter as the stock bars unlike Protaper. With the Protapers, you have to change the rubber expanders for the bar end weights if you want to use them. The MSR's are a very close match for the length, height, and sweep with the Protaper ATV Hi's. Have had the MSR's on for about a week. Really like them.

· Premium Member
Former 2x DL650 owner; moved onto Super Tenere ES
527 Posts
I'll sell you an extra set!!!

I use Protaper ATV-high bars (Wee) and love 'em. Particularly awesome when standing (off road). No vibes. Very comfy.

I just mounted another set of brand new Protaper ATV hi-bars (dark gray color) on my XR400r but the cables are too short and I tossed the receipt. They have ZERO miles on them and no scratches. I have original box, cross bar and Protaper pad. Just ordered shorter bars for XR today. Offer me $55 shipped and they are yours. Unless you want to pay $20 more plus shipping elsewhere?

PM me if interested. Look on Protaper website for color.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.