StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to buy a new Adventure bike ASAP:laugh2:

I just sold my 2016 DL650 ABS to a friend and I also had a 2003 DL1000, KLR's, KLX, a DR650 and a GS and KTM but the Africa Twin has caught my eye:laugh2:

However, the 2017 AT, Manual and a 2018 DL1000 XT have the same price tag at my local powersport dealers and the DL fits me a lot better and has Tubeless spooked rims, which is a real plus! The AT has a much better suspension with more travel, which is a real plus:surprise:

I like the look of the AT, probably because it's a new and fresh look versus the DL1000 that to me, if I squint my eyes, looks just like my old 2003:serious:

Money is not an issue at all but I want to make a good decision and would like some sage opinions please.:wink2:

I ride 99% on road, with a few gravel, country roads once in a while, at sedate speeds:smile2:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently got a good deal on a 2016 DL1000 that was never out of the showroom. I recently upgraded from a 2011 KLR650. To be honest, I was getting tired of the KLR and wanted a better comfort level on the long haul. What brought me to the DL1000, beyond the price, was the reviews. Read as much as you can and compare those reviews to what your main intent will be. For myself, it is 70-80% blacktop riding. Hope that helps.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,331 Posts
If mostly highway use, the DL 1000 is the better "street bike" in my opinion. Due to the 21" front wheel, tube tyres the Africa Twin wouldn't do for me. Neither have cruise control, which is unforgivable on the Honda. DL 1000 is supposed to out accelerate the AT. I know which sounds best!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Check out a KTM 1290 Adventure. Tech, suspension, power, more power and handling.

Or I have couple of vintage Guzzi's that have character, feel and a soul that will do what you want and more all while getting 50 MPG with carbs and pouring sweet Italian music from the exhaust with each engine pulse.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GOATZIE TT850 Stelvio looks real good but there are very few dealers in the heartland. Nearest one is 150 miles away:laugh2:

KTM is almost as bad as far as dealers are concerned.:surprise:

The Tenere has all the stuff but to me it looks like a pregnant guppie from the seat:frown2:

Thanks for the few comments Folks:laugh2:

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Doing real dirt the AT. Mostly road the DL 1000.

Tubed tires are horrible and that's why I don't have an AT, well that and the way a test ride left me unimpressed.

·
Administrator
17,091 Posts
Very likely the group here will say "V-Strom" over anything else out there, but I agree that the AT is much more off pavement biased over the big Vee, however from multiple forum sources, it's pretty up to par with the Stroms on pavement as well.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
GOATZIE TT850 Stelvio looks real good but there are very few dealers in the heartland. Nearest one is 150 miles away:laugh2:

KTM is almost as bad as far as dealers are concerned.:surprise:

The Tenere has all the stuff but to me it looks like a pregnant guppie from the seat:frown2:

Thanks for the few comments Folks:laugh2:

If you have a reliable Guzzi dealer and not just a sales outlet within 150 that is extremely close. Lots of folks would be pleased to have a dealer only 150 miles away.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have owned a new Africa Twin and kept it for 17000kms. I now own a 2016 DL1000ABS. Yes indeed the AT is much better offroad but the Suzuki is a much better road bike with much quicker steering and transitioning. In short it is more fun on the road. Engine wise he Suzuki also has a slightly stronger bottom end pull through the gears.

The AT was a nice bike but it is not robust as the DL especially its frame and suspension. I never really bonded with it and in the end issues with both ends of the suspension made me part with it. By comparison I really like the DL and it will be in my shed for a very long time. Any other questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,331 Posts
Very likely the group here will say "V-Strom" over anything else out there, but I agree that the AT is much more off pavement biased over the big Vee, however from multiple forum sources, it's pretty up to par with the Stroms on pavement as well.
Yes, the AT does handle pretty good even with the 21" front wheel. Better than you might expect according to owners that actually have them. But those same riders would find the steering slow and maybe a bit vague when pushing through turns leaned over hard compared to the DL. That is the difference in the 19" and 21" wheels and tire combinations. That is why I say they would not match the DL 1000 in pavement manners. The Africa Twin is no doubt much better off road, but that is almost entirely due to a superior suspension. That longer travel works wonders off road, but just like on a GS, Super Tenere, that long travel means a taller bike and usually a softer suspension feel. Which isn't what you don't want transitioning in turns!

What gets me about the Honda, which I had eyes on for a while, is that they decided against cruise control. Do they honestly think a liter bike is dirt only? I could live with the chain. Then there is the fact that this bike has had way more problems than about any bike in that class. Japanese bikes are not what they used to be. ( I have the Super Tenere torn down in the shop, appears the ABS pump has failed. $1050 or so....less than 20K miles...)

·
Registered
236 Posts
DL1K is 90/10 bike
AT is 70/30 bike.

If you tour on pavement mostly. The DL1K is a better choice.
If you off road in the dirt more. The AT would be a better choice.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You know, a DRZ400 also handles well when you switch to street tires, but i wouldn't want to go on long trips on it either.

:grin2:

·
Registered
657 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
You know, a DRZ400 also handles well when you switch to street tires, but i wouldn't want to go on long trips on it either.

:grin2:
Oh man, I had mine out yesterday - first time this year. I am deaf today. And my ass is sore. But I'm happy.

(That doesn't sound too good when you read it over again, does it?) :surprise:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts