StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are thinking of doing a 2 week excursion and like to use your local knowledge regards weather, crowds, ... whatever other good advise you have.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Snow season, ice season, frost heave season, mud season, black fly season, skeeter season, RV season, leaf peeper season, take your pick!

What are you looking for? Mountains, coast?

·
Registered
13 Posts
A couple of years ago I rode from coastal NC to Vermont in 20 hours and went thru A total of 10 states. We stopped in DC on the way up and Mass., Connecticut and Manhattan NY on the way back. From Vermont there are plenty of places to go.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snow season, ice season, frost heave season, mud season, black fly season, skeeter season, RV season, leaf peeper season, take your pick!

What are you looking for? Mountains, coast?
tmcgee
Both, Adirondacks, White Mountains, then Main coast, Quebec, then .... ??

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
tmcgee
Both, Adirondacks, White Mountains, then Main coast, Quebec, then .... ??
Do a search for Black Lab's thread for riding in Maine. It's a year or two old, with lots of great detail on how to avoid Rte 2 across the state. It's hard to go wrong in VT at all, and in northern NH if you stay off some of the main roads and don't go near North Conway. Ride all the gaps in VT.

I've done the Gaspe in Quebec twice, and would do it again, Nova Scotia four times and plan to again in Sept. NB can also be very sweet.

EDIT: here is the Black Lab link: http://www.stromtrooper.com/new-england/65369-answer-often-asked-question-best-roads-maine.html

·
Registered
56 Posts
Keep in mind that many campgrounds and tourist attractions in Quebec will be very busy during the Construction holiday, aka the Travailleur (July 21, 2013 to August 3, 2013 inclusive). It's not a problem if you book ahead but may be an issue if you want to spontaneous.

·
Registered
898 Posts
WTF are we still living here for? 'Cuz we love to bitch about it!

You forgot freakin'-humid-as-hell season, greenhead season and stay-away-from-the-Cape season.

(P.S. Looks like your funnybone has recovered, anyway.):thumbup:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
September if you want warm temps and low crowds as kids are back in school and too early for leaf peeping. Last week in July - first couple weeks in Aug if you're summer restricted. Highly recommend the NE V-Strom gathering near Lake Placid 2-4 Aug, great peeps and area to ride, Smuggler's Notch campground in VT is very nice, Rt 16 from Berlin, NH to Rangeley Lakes in ME is not to be missed!

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
FYI
A great number of roads in North Maine are private and NOT open to motorcycles.

100 ton tandem tree carriers going 80 on dirt

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
FYI
A great number of roads in North Maine are private and NOT open to motorcycles.

100 ton tandem tree carriers going 80 on dirt
Very true, the northern third of the state is mostly private property and tree farms. Baxter State Park is also off limits to motorcycles. The Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer for Maine is ESSENTIAL if you want to ride off the beaten path. It will tell you which roads are gated, etc.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Lots of replies but noone has yet to offer a simple answer to blau's simple question. Which 2 weeks? Well, o.k.......oh shit that's right, we're in New England! So no matter which weeks I suggest I could use that as an excuse if they don't pan out, right?:yesnod:
Anyway, on my Atlantic Provinces trip last year I went the first 3 weeks of August. The weather up there was freaking awesome!! It was quite warm here. The plus side of that time frame is the mosquitos aren't so bad. The only down side for me was I missed the music festivals that I'd have loved to take in. They're in July on Cape Breton. But, for camping in Quebec I believe a climate map will show you that August is slightly warmer than July....But, hey, July has slightly longer days, so that's a plus. You did say the 2 best months, right? :green_lol:
So, yeah. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Later in the summer is usually better. Earlier you have black flies and then you start into Canuck/US Independence days. Canada is July 1 so the first two weekends I July this year will be a total wipeout as far as jam packed roads, accommodations, sights and travel crossings.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Later in the summer is usually better. Earlier you have black flies and then you start into Canuck/US Independence days. Canada is July 1 so the first two weekends I July this year will be a total wipeout as far as jam packed roads, accommodations, sights and travel crossings.
In 5 years of extensive riding in New England, Québec and New Brunswick, I have never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I recommend September after Labor Day. Still warm, in VT anyway. Usually drier than spring. Vacation traffic is largely past and leaf peeper traffic hasn't started. There are school buses, but no time is perfect

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I recommend September after Labor Day. Still warm, in VT anyway. Usually drier than spring. Vacation traffic is largely past and leaf peeper traffic hasn't started. There are school buses, but no time is perfect
I concur with this. As to school buses, you will most likely miss them. You will be up and rolling, BEFORE the school buses lumber down the road.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I concur with this. As to school buses, you will most likely miss them. You will be up and rolling, BEFORE the school buses lumber down the road.
Most folks don't ride at or before first light like us, Barry. :eek:ut:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Two Weeks

First two weeks in June or the two weeks right after Labor Day. School will be in session and all the kids and parents will be tied down home. Less RV traffic and other vacationers that have kids. Those two weeks also avoid the sometimes humid temps of July and August. If you can prepare for cool weather, October is great because of the leaves turning. Also, room availability is better because of the slightly lower traffic.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
You might have to brush the snow off your bike in October in Quebec and wait for the overnight ice to melt off the roads.....:green_lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts