StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm mounting a Stebel air horn, and I need to know where the stock horn is to tap into the wiring harness. Also-is there a relay with the stock horn or is it directly wired?
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Stebel Horn

I don't think there is any relay on the stock horn. When you unplug it from the stock horn, take a look how wimpy wiring is, it's not much bigger than a piece of string. I would seriously plan on running the relay that comes with the stebel. I wired my to a in-line fuse directly to the battery. You can extend the stock horn lead to your new horn using spade connectors in the stock plug. I mounted mine on the left side of the front fairing like many others. Do a search and you'll find some tips for this install. I used a large hose clamp to mount it to the fairing support bracket, and it was very easy once you remove the left cowl. Have fun and enjoy that horn. It's by far the best addition that I have added, and I've scared the living sh*t out of a few lousy drivers who don't pay attention. :shock:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I mounted up the Griot "version" (right side of the fairing, in the VEE) a year ago using velcro. Ran my wiring from the OE connector over the frame to the right hand side. No relay needed (so far). VERY LOUD!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Stebel install pics

Fourvalve .. some pics when you get the install done. I ordered a Stebel horn as well but haven't got it yet. I intend to use the relay as the horn will need lots of juice to put out that 139db. Enjoy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I originally wired mine direct to the stock horn wires w/o a relay. It worked just fine. Then a read about another rider who burned out the horn switch because of the high draw from the Stebel. Since you must replace the entire pod to replace the horn switch ($$$), I figured adding the relay would be the way to go. It only took about 30 minutes for the whole re-wiring project.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I also second the use of the relay. It's included with the Stebel, so you just need more wire. Just use the horn button to power the relay coil.

My installation - right side of cowl:

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info, folks!

I ordered a horn relay kit from Eastern Beaver (excellant, high quality products!) and will use the stock horn wiring to trigger the relay. (I've already used the relay that came with the Stebel for an automotive project. The Eastern Beaver kit is super-slick.) THANKS for the pictures! I'd originally zip-tied the horn just below the fairing onto the frame rail, but inside the fairing looks like a much more elegant solution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts