StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 30 min. long distance ph call to Miami tollroad service. they said i was not guilty. the pic. on the traffic citation they sent me was dark,but i could see the KAWASAKI printed on the back of the seat.. told them this info.. after they looked at the pic. for 10 min.,they said it was not my bike and plate. said they were sorry. so,what i'm trying to say,all you guys and girls pay your tolls. don't try to beat the system. lucky for me,the bike in the pic. was not a Strom................

Larry

ps...... the guy in the pic. was wearing WHITE pants...yuck.........

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Mini-Transponder

Thanks for bringing up the subject of Florida Tolls.

Various stores, for example PUBLIX, are selling the Florida Mini-Transponder for about $5. I bought one of these and affixed it to the windshield of my van, and it has worked perfectly. I have gone through over a dozen different toll gates in Florida, and the Mini-Transponder has worked flawlessly. It saves time and provides a discount of between 20% and 25%. It works at all toll gates operated by the state of Florida, and nowhere else.

By the way, when you activate your Mini-Transponder and add some money to it via your credit card, the $5 that it cost you is credited to your account, so the net cost is about nil.

There was a glitch in the web site, now cured, but the personnel I talked with were gracious and understanding and helpful when I asked for help. They solved my problem, and the problem has not returned.

By the way, the Mini-Transponder comes with warnings saying that it is not for use on a motorcycle. I have not tried it.

Keith

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
where did you get a pic of my wife??
You married my wife's twin?

Last time I was riding in Florida, I was following my Brother-In-Law on his bike. He offered to pay all my tolls, since I bought him lunch (we came close to even). At the first toll plaza, I followed him out and managed to get whacked in the head as the gate was dropping behind him.

Next time I was close on his tail and gave it a little extra throttle on the way out and almost stuffed it in the oil pit in front of the gate.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was told countless times, that the mini will not work unless affixed to glass. I have however gone through the toll bridge here in destin close to 500 times without a transponder at all. if you have your bike registered to an account, and the account has a balance then you SHOULD have no problems. Thats what nick from sunpass told me.

Nelson

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
In her white pants and front of her Kawasaki, natch! :rolleyes:
natch. (actually, my wife has those same pants)

Hey, Keith. i've got a lot of friends in 'sota. my company deals with a company called Tropics Software Technologies. great folks, but my friend, Mr. Troyer, says he's too afraid of all the blue-hairs to ride.

P.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
I agree with you.

nelsonlarson,

I was told the same thing. I do not recall whether my bike is registered with Sunpass and linked to my account. I thank you for the reminder to register the bike. I will sign on and do that.

I don't actually ride often where there are tolls, but it certainly makes sense to register the bike and thus save time and money -- I do not see a reason against such registration.

(a few minutes later) Well, I registered the bike and all went well. I will ride the bike as if it bears a transponder, which it doesn't. The only time I rode with a bike equipped with a transponder, the Sunshine State Skyway (southbound) did not notice the transponder, so the other biker was substantially delayed; meanwhile I paused, paid cash, was thanked, and went on my way. Result: I was ahead of him, but thought I was behind him, so I hurried to catch up ... we found each other at the ramp to the rest area.

theBigPpaz,

I think the Q-tips at the wheel are a lot more predictable than the jerks in the pick-em-up trucks. I had a lot of trouble (see these scars) with an idiot who stopped for a stop sign, then backed up 50 feet. During that event, the employee with him, paid to get out and watch during *ALL* uses of reverse, was sitting on the front seat. The total age of those two idiots was less than the average age of a Sarasota driver; come to think of it, I will be at that age in a few years if I survive.

Thanks for the pointer to Tropics Software Technologies, Inc. If I decide to seek employment (not likely, but ya never know!), I will knock on their door.

Keith

·
Registered
40 Posts
tolls

have never sun passed or payed a toll on the strom (unless gated)..just lean back, goose the throttle, and smile. i pay my toll fee sharing the road with cagers.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Tolls

I have all of my vehicles registered on the same pass but most of the time it never picks me up on the Strom. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ha, it picked up mine when we went thru. I got a nasty note from the epas people with a charge for both bikes and a stern warning not to do that again. I got a great picture of the back of both our bikes though. The license plates are clearly visable.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Sometimes you get the bear.

I have not ridden the Wee-Strom through a Florida tollgate since registering it and linking it to my Mini-Sunpass. I look forward to the results, whatever they are.

In April I was in Ontario, and in a hurry, so I used one of the most expensive toll roads on the continent. I used 407ETR, from Bayview Avenue to Highway 400. This highway has cameras only, no people and no toll booths.

If you study the rates for using that highway, you will see that there are fees for about every conceivable item that anyone could charge for, and I would not have been surprised to see them make up a charge for communicating with Florida to bill me.

BUT luck was with me. The weather was foul: windy with heavy rain, and I am sure I was kicking up quite a roostertail. Moreover, the word "Florida" is not very prominent on our plates. Consequently, I have not received a bill, and after forty days I can conclude that I rode free.

So I saved ... here is the toll calculator at work:

Do you have a transponder? No
Vehicle class Light Vehicle (5,000 kg & under)
Time of day Off Peak: Weekends & Holidays - All Day
Entry point Bayview Avenue
Exit point Highway 400

Total distance (km) : 13.1
Cost per kilometre : $0.1800
Toll charges : $2.38
Trip toll charge : $0.25
Video toll charge : $3.25
Total toll charge : $5.88

What an expensive hunk of pavement! I am glad I don't often feel the need to ride on it. I am even more glad that tolls are more reasonable right here in the Sunshine State!

Keith

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had a problem with the Sun Pass people a couple of years ago. The batteries in my wife's transponder died and she got several notices of fines from the Sun Pass folks. Normally they would just send a letter to check the battery and charge you account anyway. However, we just got our license tags renewed, and she got a new license plate with a different number. When she went through the toll gate and a picture was taken, it didn't match up with their records. I contacted them and explained what happened and they cancelled the fines, but for some strange reason they didn't cancel all of the fines. The day before I was to leave on my Canadian adventure I got a letter from DMV advising me that my drivers license had been suspended for failure to pay the fine. I contancted them and told them the story, and they said that they would look into it, but in the meantime my license would remain on suspension. That was not what I wanted to hear, so I asked them what I could do to get the license reinstated by the following day. I had to pay the fine online, print out the receipt, and take it to the local DMV to have the license reinstated. I paid the fine on line and early the next day I rushed down to the DMV in Ocoee. Much to my suprise, the DVM in Ocoee had been relocated in Clermont, where I live. So back to Clermont. They confirmed the fact that I paid the fine and gave me a letter attesting to the fact that my license had been reinstated. I finally got on the road about 11:30am, and rushed to St Augustine to have lunch with my daughter. I got off to a bad start, but once I hit the road I forgot all about the crap I went through the last 20 hours or so.

Moral of the story is to insure that your current license is on record with Sun Pass, and make sure that any fines have been paid.

I had a similar thing happen this past month. Normally, all I have to do is request a license renewal through the mail, or go down to the county tax office to renew them. This time I had to go to the DMV, and be prepared to take an eye test, and possibly take the written test and driving test. I am blind in one eye, so I had to go to visit an Ophomologist first and get a statement that my good eye is good enough to drive. I did go to the doctor and was tested. The doctors appointment was on my birthday, so I had to get my license the same day to remain legal. I rushed to the DMV from the doctors visit, and was lucky enough not to take the written test or drivers test. I'm good until 2017, and by then I'll 82 years old. I'm not looking forward to the next renewal.

I'm sure none of you wanted to read this wordy response, but I didn't have anything better to do at 3am. Now I'm tired and can probably get back to sleep.

I plan on having an awesome ride in my sleep. I'm thinking Mexico.

Adios Amigo's

1 - 14 of 14 Posts