StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the obvious answer is either strapped to the top of the luggage boxes or across the passenger seat if not carrying a passenger but it a little deeper than this. This is the Hepco and Becker luggage that came with my bike for reference:

My last bike an 08 BMW GSA has full Jesse luggage with footman loops on the top of the boxes that made it easy to tie down loose items. With this Hepco and Becker luggage there isn't any place to tie down that seems like it would securely hold down any loose luggage. So how do you that ride with Givi style luggage manage to tie down your gear and still be able to off road with it and not worry about stuff falling off? I know the Aluminum or box style luggage is easy and seems more ADV friendly but I now some of you with the more rounded type luggage have done some ADV touring so what's the trick. Post up some pics and show us how you did it or do it. Also anyone mount up extra fuel bottles etc to their Givi style luggage?

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
Anyone using a bunch of bungey cords should enjoy a slap in the face when they let go.
I like the good sized U-pack or white water bags. Everything is one place and easily secured with proper nylon straps and dry.
Bungey...Bah!

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
For the kind of riding that I like to do, sidecases are too dangerous for me to use. I keep "nipping" the bottom, forward corners of the cases, as I lay the bike over in sharp turns. As my bike "jumps" around a corner, so does my heart!

Also, sidecases add too much width to the bike for me.

They also add weight, and an "unwieldiness" to the performance of my bike.

I did away with sidecases a three seasons ago. I would not go back.

Now, I carry all of my gear in drybags, cinched down across the aft part of the seat, (tent, sleeping bag, tools, rain gear, etc), and lightweight gear, (clothes), in my Pelican 1550 topcase.

In the picture below, I am packed for a weekend ride. I would not be adding anything else if I were gone for a week.

(There is a custom map case attached to the top of my Pelican case, that I built. I carry my netbook and maps in that.).

It is not a "mean machine", but it is lean!

B.L.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Few can understand how ironic it is that I have a picture with a tent on my Vee.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I like being able to have anything non-expendable locked up on the bike, so I bought a tent that fits into my side case. Mine is a Eureka Backcountry 2 (packs to 15"x6" which fits easily into side case). Sleeping bag is down-filled and packs to about the same size. Only my foam sleeping pad gets strapped to the seat. I can live without a foam pad, but would rather not live without the tent or the sleeping bag.

Between the side cases and top case, I have packed for a full week of moto-camping with only the foam pad outside the cases.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My tent fits in my side cases (or my Giant Loop on my DR) but if I need extra room I have a big Cabelas dry duffel that holds my tent, bag, pad, and other light bulky stuff, straps to the rack and side case lids.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'll keep the tent as it came in its own bag if I'm car camping but if I'm on the bike I separate it out into tent and fly in one stuff stuff sack, poles in an aftermarket pole bag (much better quality than what came with the tent) and pegs in a separate small bag. The tent/fly package generally goes in the luggage as well as the stake bag, the poles get strapped across the seat behind me. All of it is easily located at night or in the dark, whichever comes first.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If it doesn't fit in the bags, I don't carry it. The only exception is a gallon gas can, I carry on some trips.

That said, it took me several years to find gear that packs small enough to get it all in the cases. Strapping a bag across the back seat is NOT an option for me. I'd never be able to get a leg over to ride the thing.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
After looking at how everyone is packing their bikes I realize I need a duffle type bag to fit between me and my top case for my upcoming trip in May. I think I'll go look at waterproof military issue bags off Ebay, but if someone has a specific bag that's reasonably priced I'd appreciate the info so I can look at it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Packed for camping with the wife. 2 dry bags strapped to the rack. The blue one is from LL Bean, and the yellow one is from Walmart. I have read at least one complaint about the Walmart dry bags, but it may be about the see-through ones they currently sell. Both of my dry bags work perfectly.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Packed for camping with the wife. 2 dry bags strapped to the rack.
Anybody else have any shots of how you pack when camping with the wife/gf/?

I have a Givi E45 top case that I normally use when we ride. I have Happy Trails boxes which are flat on top. I was thinking to pack the sleeping bags (one each side) on top of the boxes and the tent on top of the top case using the optional flat plate that Givi offers.

I have not seen any pix with this mounted on the top case. If it's wimpy I might consider making my own instead. Somehow I thought I'd seen a different one, maybe it was in the materials that shipped with the case.

I have not purchased the top plate or tried to put this together yet so I'm looking for alternative approaches of how to pack for 2 up camping.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I wrap my tent and air mattress in my tarp and tie it to my luggage rack with tie-down straps. I forego the topcase when I go camping. The system works very well. Alternatively, you could get a bigger topcase that fits your tent (just make sure it mounts onto a metal plate, not nylon).
When I carry my inflatable kayak, I do the same thing (there isn't a topcase big enough to fit that; it barely fits in the trunk of my VW Golf); I lose the passenger seat though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I forego the topcase when I go camping.
I can see how that might work better if you use a large flat platform in place of it to strap on a large waterproof duffle bag that will take the tent and other stuff. I really like the ability to lock stuff inside the top case.

I'm thinking about building a platform that will engage with the Givi adapter plate when I take the top case off.

·
Registered
478 Posts
soft bags

I like to use the soft saddlebags when camping as I seldom ride with saddlebags any other time. If I am solo I will pack as shown in the photo. If two up the sleeping bags are strapped to the top of the saddle bags and provide the pretty one with arm rests. The remainder of the gear is packed in or on a large top case with a luggage rack attached to it.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts