StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left work, started fine. Stopped by to see wife at work. Started again, on way home felt a couple of very slight power drops. Was so slight thought it might of been my hand causing it. Next morning, 35 or so, always takes 2 tries to start in colder weather, started and died. And again, never happened before. Throttled up and it started, fall below 3000rpm and would die. Headed to work and would die if I let it get below 3000, felt like it was only hitting on one and a half cylinders. Got to office bout a mile away and it died. White smoke coming out of exhaust. Started one more time to put her in the hut. Will not even fire now. 08, 5500 miles, never had any problems. Can anyone give me any ideas on where to start.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It sounds like you have a cylinder dropping out. Check for spark. The usual problems are water in the plug well due to a clogged drain opening, water in the spark plug cap or a poor or corroded connection between the spark plug wire and the plug cap.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
White smoke coming out of exhaust
You didn't manage to get Diesel fuel in the tank did you? My wife did that to the 4 Runner. Motor would try to start and then billow huge clouds of white smoke. Cost 600 bucks for a tank drain and system clean.
Hopefully you have a less expensive repair.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Might also check battery terminal connections, but doesn't quite sound like the problem.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It might be worthwhile to put the bike in dealer mode (FAQ: Dealer Mode & FI Error Codes), try to start it, and see if it will throw an error code.

My bike behaved as you described and it turned out to be just a poor connection either at the primary wire to the coil or possibly at the ECM. I got a C25 error code in dealer mode. Disconnecting, cleaning, and reconnecting those connectors cured the problem and it's never happened again.

First thing to do, though, is to make sure your battery cables are snugly connected to the battery terminals.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Battery terminals cannot cause the problem reported. Dealer mode only displays an error code. In user mode, an error will display an FI. With no FI shown, dealer mode won't help. There is no code to find unless an FI is shown in user mode.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts