StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have them in my tank panniers but am worried about them being stolen when I head south of the border. I have them in my top box now and can notice a difference. I don't have a skid plate....

Anyone have idea for getting that weigh up front without compromsing security?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I used to have them in my tank panniers but am worried about them being stolen when I head south of the border. I have them in my top box now and can notice a difference. I don't have a skid plate....

Anyone have idea for getting that weigh up front without compromsing security?
There's plenty of room in the airbox. :biggrinjester:

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
How many tools do you carry that you can feel them moving around in the top box??

My advice would be a tool tube where the left muffler would go.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
I used to have them in my tank panniers but am worried about them being stolen when I head south of the border.
Isn't that funny...

We have the same worries up here!

:hurray:

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I'm not sure having a skid plate would matter. I don't think there's room to attach a tool tube to the front of it (KLR style) anyway, without the front fender/wheel hitting it when the suspension compresses.

If you have a 650, a tool tube like SCraig suggested may be the best option. It's not at the front or center, but at least that would put most of the weight over the rear axle, instead of behind it. Here's my setup: http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-modifications-performance/49406-another-damn-tool-tube.html

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input all. I don't feel them moving in the back, I just feel the substanial weight back there. It makes the front way too light at the upper MPH range. Guess I'll move back to the front.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Do you have crash bars?
Mounting a tool tube on a crash bar should not be hard but it won't really resolve the potential theft issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have crash bars. Unless you mean my panniers! Anything solid would be more easily lockable than cloth bags hanging on the tank.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Now that you mention panniers, do you have hard luggage? How about mounting a tube on the front of one of the sidecases (if you're not carrying a passenger), or maybe on the underside. Still not as far forward as tank panniers, but better than the topcase or the usual DL650 tool tube location.

And depending on what tools you're carrying, you might be able to use a pelican case or similar, which is easy to lock and a lot tougher than the average tool tube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts