StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to mount a compass to my Wee. However, I am finding it hard to find a place where it isn't effected by the electric field of the gauges or the steel tank. Any thoughts or solutions?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I want to mount a compass to my Wee. However, I am finding it hard to find a place where it isn't effected by the electric field of the gauges or the steel tank. Any thoughts or solutions?
I gave this up as a lost cause. I now carry a compass in my tank bag for use if I really really need to find out where I am pointing. Otherwise I just use my GPS as I can easily figure out a general idea of where north is with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought some of the spherical compasses with a suction cup mount from Wal-martin the auto section. Popped off the suction cup exposing a small ball stud. (insert phalic comment here). I stuck a length of fuel tube over the stud and then zip tied it in place and zip tied the tube on my handlebars on mt other bikes. Made it long enough to sit a few inches above the bars. You can't read it that well when in motion, but it is good enough for a rough idea of direction when stopped. It's my cheap, failsafe GPS for riding in the swamp.

I have not put one on the wee yet, but maybe on one of the mirror stems. I may put it on the handlebars when I get around to swapping on a set with a crossbar.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I figured I would get similar responses. I do carry a compass, "Uncle Sugar" gave me in my tank bag, someone borrowed my gps. Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and get another one.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
I use a compass made by formotion. Be sure to buy the 'special' bracket. Use the bracket as though you are using the larger size handle bar and use the extra space to rubber mount it to dampen the vibration. I used inner tube rubber.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Next to your sextant?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Is it even worth it?... with the magnetic poles moving close to 40km/per year towards Siberia and the cheap precision of GPS... Might as well mount a bobbing Jesus or hula girl on your dash board instead...:green_lol: Besides, it's not that difficult to know where north, east, west and south are from landmarks, the sun and even nature around you...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Did this a few years ago and it's still there. Just for giggles but it does work. Walmart $2.98

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Is it even worth it?... with the magnetic poles moving close to 40km/per year towards Siberia and the cheap precision of GPS... Might as well mount a bobbing Jesus or hula girl on your dash board instead...:green_lol: Besides, it's not that difficult to know where north, east, west and south are from landmarks, the sun and even nature around you...
True enough, except there was the time in Nova Scotia through winding unsigned roads in the woods and I would have liked a hint that I was heading in the right direction and not around in circles. Landmarks? No. Sun? Not in Nova Scotia except on rare occasion, and not today. It was easy to get turned around.
As the roads in S. Ontario were laid out in a rectangular grid I would probably manage okay there though a bobbing Hula girl is always welcome.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
i use touring items type s compass. (peep boys auto parts $6). attached to windshield with double-sided tape. works ok for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts