StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm in Marietta and will be needing to switch out my tires soon. I have the tires already (Conti Trail Attacks) so just need a shop to remove the wheels, mount and balance (I do not have the ability or desire to remove the wheels myself). Do any shops in town do a high speed balance similar to a car tire shop. Recommendations welcome.

Thanks,
T

·
Registered
35 Posts
yeh, I've used Ken's tires. Very nice/honest people and reasonable to deal with. Little bit of a hike up I575 from Marietta, but worth the trip in my opinion. I had a pair of cont attacks on my bike and loved them. They really smoothed out the ride on the road and i really miss them. I'm back on the standard tires, thinking there wouldn't be much difference, but there is. Ken even let me watch him put the tires on.

·
Registered
389 Posts
+1 on Ken's.

You will need to call and make an appointment.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I was at a Southern Cruisers meeting tonight and they recommended Ken's as well. Seems like the place to go for all things on tires. I've past this place before on a ride and it's only about 30min away in Woodstock.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Kens Tires - Woodstock

Very timely with this thread, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and replace my tires as well. I have a bit over 8k miles on my k6 wee and still have the originals on and want to put a pair of Tourances on as both the thread AND age of the tires matter for sure. Anyone have an idea of what Ken charges to replace / rebalance the tires WITH rims on the bike? What is considered a reasonable price to unmount, replace, balance and remount on a wee?

sporttour.com seems to have the best pricing for Metzeler Tourances and charges $10 per tire to ship:

110/80VR-19 $121.95
150/70VR-17 $144.95

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had Ken put on new tires last Sept.

110/80-19 Tourance
150/70 VR-17 Tourance

Total including all taxes, fees, balancing and $65 for removal & installation was $413.24.

I have also read a lot of good reports on the ST-Owners forum about Two Brothers Tires in Lawrenceville.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had Ken put on new tires last Sept.

110/80-19 Tourance
150/70 VR-17 Tourance

Total including all taxes, fees, balancing and $65 for removal & installation was $413.24.

I have also read a lot of good reports on the ST-Owners forum about Two Brothers Tires in Lawrenceville.
Great - thanks...looks like if I order tires online I can save about $65-70 but Ken might have a different price if I don't buy the tires through him which would not be unusual. I'll give him a call...$65 to replace both tires is a terrific price.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just a thought, ya'll might want to consider the Tire Technicians up at Riders Hill in Dahlonega. They have a 10% off in the month of February.

http://www.tiretechniciansinc.com/

Although I had my last set put on at Ken's and was very pleased with his service I didn't shop for them last time. I just knew I didn't want to use a cycle dealer for my tires and Ken specializes in motorcycle tires. I've got a few more miles before my next set of tires but when I need them I'll check out both these tire shops.

Ride Safe!

EDIT: By the way, I've heard they will match "online" pricing but I can't verify this.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Tire Technicians Inc (at Riders Hill)

Just a thought, ya'll might want to consider the Tire Technicians up at Riders Hill in Dahlonega. They have a 10% off in the month of February.

http://www.tiretechniciansinc.com/

Although I had my last set put on at Ken's and was very pleased with his service I didn't shop for them last time. I just knew I didn't want to use a cycle dealer for my tires and Ken specializes in motorcycle tires. I've got a few more miles before my next set of tires but when I need them I'll check out both these tire shops.

Ride Safe!

EDIT: By the way, I've heard they will match "online" pricing but I can't verify this.
I was just at Rider's Hill on feb 6th and (Tire Technicians Inc) is right there across from the cafe / shop) and asked them the cost to put new Tourances onto my Wee IF I provided the tires. They said the price is the same, $45 per tire, whether I buy the tires there or bring my own. That cost is to remove the tires from my bike, put new tires on, balance them, and place them back onto my bike.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Moto400 in Dawsonville - Cost to Replace Tires

Hi All,

I'm in Marietta and will be needing to switch out my tires soon. I have the tires already (Conti Trail Attacks) so just need a shop to remove the wheels, mount and balance (I do not have the ability or desire to remove the wheels myself). Do any shops in town do a high speed balance similar to a car tire shop. Recommendations welcome.

Thanks,
T
I just checked with Moto400...they are on the west side of GA 400 North in Dawsonville (you see their shop on the left when you ride up to the GA mountains). They charge $60 for the back tire and $50 for the front tire (if you supply tires and includes removing tires from bike, mounting new tires, balancing, and remounting onto bike. If you remove the rims and bring them into their shop they charge $25 for each rim.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You might want to check out Rebel Customs in Cartersville. Prices as good as most anything on the web plus free mounting & balancing. (You pull the wheels)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the suggestions. I plan to have chain and sprockets replaced when I have the tire done so was looking for a shop that would do all. Recently stopped by Marietta Motorsports, they are an independent repair shop that seems to concentrate on Sport bike but the guys in the back know the V-Strom well. Quoted tire change is $44 each with wheels on bike.

Anyone have experience with them.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Naw!

Hi All,

Thanks,
T
High speed spin balance is totaly unnecessary on a motorcycle wheel. All that is required is a static balance which any competent tech can perform. Good luck finding one among the hamfisted, pimply faced, knuckle dragging drop outs found in most shops.

·
Registered
99 Posts
How about Marietta Motorsports?

If you were able to take you wheels off and take them somewhere, I would recommend Rapid Rotation in Marietta also. They can change your tires for $10/each, just no balancing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some local prices

I called around to get some local quotes to changes tires (front and back) with the wheels on the bike and if I bring in the tires.

Ken's (Woodstock) - $115 - speed balance
Marietta Motorsports - $88 - static balance
Two Brothers (Lawrenceville) - $80 - speed balance

Now if I can strap the 2 tires to the bike, that will determine where I go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My last and only experience with Kens........

I recently had one of the worst experiences and wish to have anyone I know and they know avoid a similiar experience.

1. Ken's Tires in Woodstock (Arnold Mill Rd)
- I was pressed for time and decided to try a shop around the corner from me. I brought 2 tires and my wheels off the bike for him to mount. $59 later, I picked them up and went home. When I went to mount the tires, luckily (always check this), I noticed the rear tire was mounted backwards. I called The shop 12 minutes before they closed and told them the tire was wrong. At first they would not wait for me and said to come by in the morning. I explained I was delivering the bike tonight and that is why I came by and had them done in the first place. I arrive and he apologizes( sincerely ) and goes back to flip the tire. He brings it out and I was disapointed, but not upset at all.
I ask him "I do not have my airtank at home, is there at least around 40psi in the tire?"...."Ken- There's 43psi....."RC....Ok i'll let some out when I get home"...."Ken i'll set it for you if you'd like"...."RC- Great, can you put it at 36psi?"..."Ken- WHAT, that's too low( raising his voice ), what kind of bike?..."RC- it's an FZ1"...."Ken- YOU Listen that's wong"..."RC- (now I am begining to fluster) that's fine i'll do it myself"...."Ken- Whatever, but.."...."RC- I am not a noob and have been doing bikes for a decade and I would like 36psi, but that's is fine I can do it myself"...He walks back and grabs his gauge and then.."Ken- So do you have some little girl who rides the bike(all snickety )..."RC- Give me my wheel and don't touch it"

I have rarely been so hot as to almost blow up at someone in their business.

To the facts: His shop was cold to the point I left my jacket on, the tire was cold and the temperature is going to go up as this cold front moves out. Had I left it at 43- prob 45psi then with the temperature change and tire warm up, I would be riding at near 50psi...

And I know that there is a 50/50 chance of putting a tire on backwards, but when 98% of your business is Tires and there are giant arrows on the tire telling you ( this way Dummy ) direction.

Don't be an ignorant asshole when I ride up with a Wheel strapped to my back on my KLR because you were incompetant the first time.

My experience, your call

1 - 20 of 21 Posts