StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to support my local dealer as much as possible but I may have reached my limit today. I just returned with 3 qts. of amsoil and a filter at a cost of 63.00. a year ago it was 47.00.so I guess I have to change brandsor places of purchase. really, 63.00 for this? anyone else paying this much?

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Buy filters at Napa. They're rebranded Wix filters, top shelf.

And don't buy such stupidly expensive oil. You don't need it.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 oil from Wal*Mart.

HiFlo filters from a non-Suzuki shop.

Or, WIX/NAPA filters for $5.88 each from fleetfilter.com. Buy a year's supply for your family fleet and divvie up the shipping costs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 oil from Wal*Mart.

HiFlo filters from a non-Suzuki shop.

Or, WIX/NAPA filters for $5.88 each from fleetfilter.com. Buy a year's supply for your family fleet and divvie up the shipping costs.
I have read that only M/C specific filters are available for the 'zuks. What praytell, is a Wix/NAPA filter number that works? THANKS

thumbs up on the Rotella Synth, I run that in everything also. I did get some Royal Purple M/C oil that came with a Busa I bought. It seemed to shift slightly better than the Rotella.

·
Registered
28 Posts
NAPAGold 1359 for my K8 650. NAPA has a spring sale and they are cheap. Maybe there is a fall sale?

+1 for the Rotella oil.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Or, Purolator ML16818's are on sale at Amazon for around $6.50/ea if you buy 4 of 'em - but you get free shipping!!
Speaking of which, I better order some - just stuck the last one on the 'Strom the other nite. :yesnod:

+1 on bwringer's note about high-tech oil. The Suzuki V is super easy on oil, a lot like the old GS/GSX air & air-oil cooled engines. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I use Shell Rotella synthetic 5w40 and order oil filters from K&N. Nice filter with built in bolt on the front which makes it easier to get on and off, especially if you have an engine guard. I usually order 3 at a time direct from K&N.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The Purolator filters for our engines are made in China, at least the ones I've seen....not my first choice.

K&N motorcycle oil filters are made by HiFloFiltro. The stouter can with the hex on the end are pluses, but $14!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I use either Amsoil or Mobile 1 synthetic that run $8 to $10 a quart and Suzuki oil filters that are around $8 each. How much labor did the dealer charge to get your $63 final bill? I've was quoted anywhere from $50 to $180 for the 600 mile check-up, you have to make a lot of phone calls-hopefully you have more than one dealer nearby! Cheers--BB

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no labor,just the oil and filter and no other suk dealer for 50 mi.I am going to the rotella and napa filters. hope I cn buy it somewhere other than walmart.lord knows I hate walmart! thanks for all your advice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use either Amsoil or Mobile 1 synthetic... Cheers--BB
Just curious which Mobile 1 Syn isn't "energy conserving" as I thought I looked at all of them yesterday but didn't see one that wasn't. I walked out of Autozone yesterday when they wanted $24.99 for Rotella T6 and went to WallyWorld. Same oil was $19.50 2 miles down the road which came with a ride along the beach to get there! :thumbup:

My Wee came with several Zuk filters from PO so I haven't figured out what I will buy when that supply runs out yet but probably will buy more Zuk filters online.

·
Registered
61 Posts
oil

mobil 1 is about $6 a quart at wally world in 5 gallon jugs where I shop.

I might even follow the manufacturers recommendations. Maybe. Maybe not. What do they know anyway. I have plenty of SF rated oil from back when I did follow their recommendations. It was $1.27 a quart then at wally world.

I like Rotella.

Amsoil, well, hmm. How is it better than Mobil 1? And lets see, 63 dollars out the door for 3 quarts and one filter. Say $15 for filter, that leaves $48 for 3 quarts, at $16 a quart. Yikes.

Would you like to buy my nice shape GS500F? NH. My local dealer closed lately.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Suitable Mobil 1 oils:
Mobil 1 motorcycle oils, 10W-40 & 20W-50
Mobil 1 & Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 diesel & gasoline engine oil
maybe Mobil 1 high mileage 10W-40
-not- Mobil 1 15W-50 'cuz of clutch problems XOM sez

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I use Rotella T6 5w40 in all my bikes, $19 Wally World.

I use Napa Gold oil filters, not the cheapest but a great filter.

I do the $7 Filter Mod for air filters, after the initial work to the filter it's really just replacing the element.

So far, lots of money saved, one happy Vee. I've in turn used the money saved for the best accessory ever invented for motorcycles....gas.

·
Registered
30 Posts
+1 on RockyMountain ATC/MC. I have been ordering from them for years and they are great. They offer free shipping over $99 and have K&N, factory and their Tusk brand oil filters. Also great prices on tires.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts