StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello UK riders. I am new to the UK. What are the best shops to get motorcycle specific oil from? Being from the states, I simply can't go to Wal-Mart, Autozone, OReillys, or Napa to get my preferred oils (many of which aren't sold here anyways).

I know what I am looking for, just don't know where to find it. This does not need to turn into a "this oil is better than that oil" thread because there is already the big oil thread. Just tell me what the names are of some places to go get motorcycle/diesel oil. Thanks for any insights, places to go, or places to avoid.

·
Registered
15,096 Posts
That's an interesting question. Being from Texas, you are not quite the Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.
I use a Japanese Brand named oil so I just visit a local dealer. Hopefully your lubricant of choice will be easy to acquire.
Enjoy the Wrong Side of the Road!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's an interesting question. Being from Texas, you are not quite the Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.
I use a Japanese Brand named oil so I just visit a local dealer. Hopefully your lubricant of choice will be easy to acquire.
Enjoy the Wrong Side of the Road!
Definitely not. I like shooting things and tossing them on the grill... definitely can't do that here. Had to leave all my guns in the states. So now I will focus on my "motorbiking".

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm from Oz and have never been to the UK, but from auto mags, I'd suggest Halfords.
Good to know. From my internet searching it seemed to me like Halfords was one of the few places to go, but it didn't seem like a typical automotive/motorcycle store. I will take a ride out and check one out. There are 2 of them within 20 miles. I will peruse their available oild and determine if I will have to end up ordering some in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Halfords and bike dealers are fine but can be quite expensive. There are a lot of independent car / bike supplies places around where you can often get reasonable deals.

An alternative is mail order: Opie oils are well thought of.

I like Silkolene oil.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Halfords and bike dealers are fine but can be quite expensive. There are a lot of independent car / bike supplies places around where you can often get reasonable deals.

An alternative is mail order: Opie oils are well thought of.

I like Silkolene oil.
Well, I went to 5 different places today and couldn't find the type of oil I was looking for. I guess mail order will have to be the way. Heck, I couldn't even find chain cleaner and lube today! Guess I need to hit a dealer and see what they have in their service department.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
clutch

if you had a dry clutch you could probably use automotive oil

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have only ever used " car " oils 20/40 just like Suzuki States in the handbook, never had a problem.
I'd think they Suzuki, would have a clue as to what oil to use.

Saturn 5

·
Registered
639 Posts
First of all, don't expect to find the oil you know from the States in the UK or Europe for that matter, look on Ebay for stuff. Halfords are good but somewhat generic. Try small auto shops and bike shops. But any bike specific oil will do, synthetic is the way I go. Oil is also not as cheap as in the states.
It is there, just have to look. I tend to order most things from ebay,even batteries.
I bet you won't be riding the miles you use to, with the cost of fuel in the UK, low mileage bikes are abundant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts