StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a lot of foam earplugs. Nothing I've found works better for me. Use them occasionally for sleeping too, man that works good.

But I pay way too much for them, about $10 for 40 pair, or even more. I'm probably spending $120/year on something that should be a lot cheaper to buy.

Where can I buy cheap bulk foam earplugs? (The soft ones.)

Thanks. (I don't know where else to post this. Hopefully this is in the right place.)

·
Premium Member
630 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Talk to anyone you know that works in a factory environment. Most plants have boxes of ear plugs all over the place. Your friend/buddy/cousin/drug dealer/whatever will likely bring you the odd handfull for free. Well, the drug dealer might expect something. :rolleyes1:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I get a big plastic box of purple and orange ones from Home Depot. They come 80 pairs to a box.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Ear Plug Superstore sells a ton of different plugs and earphones, and they offer trial packs of a variety of different models so you can find the ones you like best before buying large quantities. I got the "just the highest NRR" trial pack, which has 2 pairs each of their 15 highest rated foam plugs.
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/unfoamtrialp.html

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Howard Leight Max Lite (green color) foam earplugs are wonderful plugs. They are very soft and do not create any expansive pressure inside the ear canal. I even slept with them in once. I bought a 200-pair box three seasons ago and I'm getting near the bottom of the box. I use them on any ride longer than 20-minutes or so, which happens to be the most time it takes me to ride to work. I find I can remove and reinsert one pair about 3 times before grabbing a fresh pair. They will only roll/compress so many times before they get fussy due to their softness. At $0.11/pair, I don't worry about pitching them when they won't work with me anymore. Lawn mower, snow blower, power tools, motorcycle, sleeping...

I bought them from Galeton-
http://www.galeton.com/item_group.asp?GroupID=79&CategoryID=22
$21.45 for the 200-pair box, uncorded.
You can probably find them for similar prices elsewhere online and in local safety supply stores.

The orange Max plugs from this mfr. put too much pressure on my ear canal, the green Lite plugs I can wear for an entire day, after a while I forget they are in there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The ones I use in the shop are from McMaster Carr. I find they get uncomfortable after a while. For long distance touring I get the nice soft ones from Wal Mart.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Costco

At the pharmacy inside Costco.

Cheap and good.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have been wearing ear plugs since 87. I think the yellow E A R ear plugs are the best. They seem to block the most noise. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Howard Leight Max Lite (green color) foam earplugs are wonderful plugs. They are very soft and do not create any expansive pressure inside the ear canal. I even slept with them in once. I bought a 200-pair box three seasons ago and I'm getting near the bottom of the box. I use them on any ride longer than 20-minutes or so, which happens to be the most time it takes me to ride to work. I find I can remove and reinsert one pair about 3 times before grabbing a fresh pair. They will only roll/compress so many times before they get fussy due to their softness. At $0.11/pair, I don't worry about pitching them when they won't work with me anymore. Lawn mower, snow blower, power tools, motorcycle, sleeping...

I bought them from Galeton-
http://www.galeton.com/item_group.asp?GroupID=79&CategoryID=22
$21.45 for the 200-pair box, uncorded.
You can probably find them for similar prices elsewhere online and in local safety supply stores.

The orange Max plugs from this mfr. put too much pressure on my ear canal, the green Lite plugs I can wear for an entire day, after a while I forget they are in there.
Thanks Steve. This is what I was looking for. I figure I can save more money than I want to admit over what I was spending when I wasn't paying any attention to what I was doing. For EARPLUGS! Sheesh.

Thanks to all who replied to the thread.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Check local fishing/fly tying places as well. They are used a lot as spacers/floats on home built lures. I picked up a box of the bright green ones for $10 for several hundred or a thousand pairs, but that was years ago and I still have a lot left. That was at a Bass Pro Shop.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have used a lot of different types of ear plugs of various styles(including most mentioned in this thread). My absolute favorite plug is the MSA LL-1 (Laserlite). They are comfortable and offer very good hearing protection. I'm a land surveyor and I've done a lot of work at airports (Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Int'l Airport for the most part). When you have to work outside the concourses at an airport, it stays loud all day. Most plugs make my ears sore by the end of a work day, but the Laserlites always stay comfortable.

Here's a link for the Laserlite: (200 for $25) 32dB reduction
http://www.utilitysafeguard.com/Safety/Ear-Plugs/LL-1-Laserlite-Without-Cord

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I echo the recommendation to get the trial pack from the Earplug store. The very small and soft plugs are very comfortable, but it's possible that they may not be large enough to fill your ear canals properly, if they are larger than average. If you already know the smaller ones are good for you, the EAR "EarSoft" plugs are a good, comfortable plug with the maximum NRR. If ou prefer a flared plug, the EarSoft FX plugs might fit the bill. The Howard Leight LaserLites or MaxLites are also very good choices (the latter are among the softest plugs available in quantity). A safety supply house is a good place to find a good selection of them at low prices. Industrial supply shops also typically carry a couple of brands of plugs by the box. I paid around $20 for a box of 200 pairs of the EarSoft plugs several years ago.

On that subject, if you're going through that many plugs a year you must be putting in a fresh pair every time you insert them. That's not really necessary - I'll keep using mine until they either get too dirty, or refuse to stay rolled up long enough to get them inserted. I do always carry a handfull of spare bags of plugs, though - my jacket pocket, tank bag, tail bag and saddlebags all have a few pairs in them.

All of this reminds, I need a new box of plugs. I can't even remember exactly where I got the last box - time to look again, I guess.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well, I use the earplugs I mentioned mainly for shooting practice. On the bike I have my etymotic er-6 earphones that double as earplugs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts